Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 107   Go Down

Author Topic: The American Constitution  (Read 119860 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: The American Constitution
« Reply #1800 on: August 23, 2019, 02:28:51 pm »

How can there be anyone left who takes him either literally or seriously?
Looks like today the American stock market is taking him both literally and seriously.  You can't earn any money from savings accounts, the bond yields are now inverted, the equities market gets whipsawed every third day, the great tax cut only filtered down to the top 0.1% of which I am not one of; I hope I don't have to go back to work as a greeter at the local big box store.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1801 on: August 23, 2019, 02:50:33 pm »

Looks like today the American stock market is taking him both literally and seriously.  You can't earn any money from savings accounts, the bond yields are now inverted, the equities market gets whipsawed every third day, the great tax cut only filtered down to the top 0.1% of which I am not one of; I hope I don't have to go back to work as a greeter at the local big box store.

When was the last time you earned money from a savings account?   ???
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #1802 on: August 23, 2019, 02:51:31 pm »

When was the last time you earned money from a savings account?   ???
We have not had one for many years.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1803 on: August 23, 2019, 02:56:42 pm »

What's a savings account?🤔

James Clark

« Reply #1804 on: August 23, 2019, 03:34:58 pm »

Since we are talking about headlines, here is one I saw on CNN this morning that I found interesting, "Lemon & Cuomo Imagine Trump Prepping 'Chosen One' Line."

CNN insists that both Lemon and Cuomo are non-biased reporters and not commentators.  Now I am not saying the news should not be critical of persons in power, however no credible news reporters would ever engage in this kind of theatre.  I feel like CNN's credibility has dropped so much that some of their exact headlines could be used for news pieces that would be critical of the network.  If I saw this headline on any other news website, including the far left MSNBC, I would instantly think the story was making fun of CNN. 

It's a shame seeing a once well respected news source fall this far.

I get your point, but (honest question here) when are Trump's actions finally outrageous enough that the news is no longer obligated to simply report the facts?  Is your position that there's no line a president can cross that demands something beyond "President X said this today.  Supporters thrilled.  Opponents outraged.  The end."

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1805 on: August 23, 2019, 03:42:31 pm »

..."President X said this today.  Supporters thrilled.  Opponents outraged.  The end."

That what the news reporting should be. Let me decide if that is outrageous or not.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1806 on: August 23, 2019, 03:43:31 pm »

I feel like CNN's credibility has dropped so much that some of their exact headlines could be used for news pieces that would be critical of the network.  If I saw this headline on any other news website, including the far left MSNBC, I would instantly think the story was making fun of CNN. 

It's a shame seeing a once well respected news source fall this far.

When was CNN ever a "respected news source," Joe? Back in the sixties we were calling it: CNN, the "Communist News Network."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

James Clark

« Reply #1807 on: August 23, 2019, 03:49:06 pm »

When was CNN ever a "respected news source," Joe? Back in the sixties we were calling it: CNN, the "Communist News Network."

No you weren't.

faberryman

« Reply #1808 on: August 23, 2019, 03:50:45 pm »

You memory is impaired. CNN was not founded until 1980.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1809 on: August 23, 2019, 03:51:51 pm »

You memory is impaired...

Doesn't prevent Biden from running for president.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1810 on: August 23, 2019, 03:52:34 pm »

I get your point, but (honest question here) when are Trump's actions finally outrageous enough that the news is no longer obligated to simply report the facts?  Is your position that there's no line a president can cross that demands something beyond "President X said this today.  Supporters thrilled.  Opponents outraged.  The end."

So one bad deed solves another? 

I have dealt with some pretty interesting situations on set where those whom I was dealing with were being very unprofessional.  Does that mean I should be equally as unprofessional too?  Should I as well destroy my reputation because some one else destroys theirs? 

Your comment makes no sense unless you are okay with ruining your reputation, and, if so, dont be surprised by the obvious consequences.  In the case of CNN, it's plummeting ratings. 

“An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.”
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 03:56:54 pm by JoeKitchen »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1811 on: August 23, 2019, 03:57:57 pm »

You memory is impaired. CNN was not founded until 1980.

You're right, Fab. It was CBS, "The Communist Broadcasting System."

Nonetheless, the CNN name is appropriate.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

James Clark

« Reply #1812 on: August 23, 2019, 04:02:02 pm »

You're right, Fab. It was CBS, "The Communist Broadcasting System."

You thought the network fronted by Walter Cronkite, literally voted "the most trusted man in America" at the time and a critic of Democratic president Lyndon B Johnson's Vietnam policy, were a bunch of commies???
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 04:08:31 pm by James Clark »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1813 on: August 23, 2019, 04:07:46 pm »

The press never reported just the facts about Trump.  They've been biasing their reporting for three years.

James Clark

« Reply #1814 on: August 23, 2019, 04:08:09 pm »

So one bad deed solves another?

Not what I said.   What I asked was whether or not you believe there's a point where someone's bad faith can hit a line where objective distance becomes irresponsible.

I have dealt with some pretty interesting situations on set where those whom I was dealing with were being very unprofessional.  Does that mean I should be equally as unprofessional too?  Should I as well destroy my reputation because some one else destroys theirs?

Neither your actions nor mine have an impact that has repercussions on, literally, the entire world.  But for the sake of the analogy, if your client is behaving in a manner that's beyond unprofessional, and into dangerous for your lighting assistant, for example, at what point do you stop politely noting that they're doing something wrong?

Your comment makes no sense unless you are okay with ruining your reputation, and, if so, dont be surprised by the obvious consequences.  In the case of CNN, it's plummeting ratings. 

Fair point.  On the other hand, Cuomo and Lemon are the exception to the trend.. So where does that leave us?  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1815 on: August 23, 2019, 04:17:36 pm »

Not what I said.   What I asked was whether or not you believe there's a point where someone's bad faith can hit a line where objective distance becomes irresponsible.

Neither your actions nor mine have an impact that has repercussions on, literally, the entire world.  But for the sake of the analogy, if your client is behaving in a manner that's beyond unprofessional, and into dangerous for your lighting assistant, for example, at what point do you stop politely noting that they're doing something wrong?

Fair point.  On the other hand, Cuomo and Lemon are the exception to the trend.. So where does that leave us?  :)

What has Trump done along that line?  How has his actions been more dangerous or had greater repercussions (negative or positive? you didn;t indicate) than Democrats Clinton, Carter, Johnson, Kennedy and Obama and Republicans Reagan, Bush and Bush?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1816 on: August 23, 2019, 04:23:16 pm »

Fair point.  On the other hand, Cuomo and Lemon are the exception to the trend.. So where does that leave us?

I think objective distance is the only responsible response by the media, or at least those whom claim to be reporters and not commentators, with very very few exceptions.  (One exception would be the incident about two years ago where two network employees were shot to death live on air.  That obviously prevents those on air from being objective.  But disagreements with political policy is not an exception.) 

Tucker Carlson and Rachel Maddow can obviously get away with it, but both of those commentators and their networks opening admit to their shows not being a news program and being biased in one direction.  CNN repeatably claims Lemon and Cuomo are non-biased reporters.  This clearly shows they are not.  At some point in time, if they keep it up, people will stop watching them.  Maybe it will be one Trump is out of office and people come to their senses, but it will happen.  Not a great long term plan. 

Plus it goes back to the old saying, never fight with a pig, you'll both get dirty but the pig likes it. 

Insofar as your example, once again a response in not necessarily unwarranted, but what type of response would be professional or not.  Lets say a male client felt up a female assistant, does that mean I get him back and feel him up as well?  Hold him down and let my assistant get revenge?  An eye for an eye, right?  No.  I interject, pull him away (physically if need be but not necessarily by punching him), call the police and file a report.  That would still be professional. 

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #1817 on: August 23, 2019, 05:05:16 pm »

The press never reported just the facts about Trump.  They've been biasing their reporting for three years.
Seriously???  I know it's sometime hard to separate fact from fiction but here is a President whose documented false statements have set a record for the office.  I don't think it's biased reporting when fact checkers can fully document this stuff.  of course he did have the largest inaugural crowd in history.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #1818 on: August 23, 2019, 05:10:12 pm »

What has Trump done along that line?  How has his actions been more dangerous or had greater repercussions
Signed a tax bill that has blown a hole in the budge.  Started a trade war with China that is having adverse impact on US and world economy.  Weakened all kinds of environmental regulations.  Said that the coal industry is poised for a great comeback.  Had ICE put kids in cages and separated them from their parents.  Refused to disclose his tax returns after saying he would.  etc. etc. etc.

As Kurt Vonnegut so ably wrote, "...so it goes..."

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1819 on: August 23, 2019, 05:16:20 pm »

... Had ICE put kids in cages...

Peddling the known lie?
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 107   Go Up