Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 107   Go Down

Author Topic: The American Constitution  (Read 118451 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Re: The American Constitution
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2019, 03:58:05 pm »

As a former Dutchman I need to vehemently object to your misrepresentation of historic facts. >:( And you can't blame me; I was only 2 years old when WWII ended. >:(

Of course, we also sent the germans in the wrong direction.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2019, 04:14:56 pm »

Actually, Jeremy, America is more successful at a lot of things, including pulling other nations' butts out of the fire in wartime.
As they say what happened in the past wil be no garantee for the future:
With Trump in charge there will be no support in times of war unless he sees a good deal for him and his USA-family. Me, Mom and Dad First.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2019, 04:41:19 pm »

As they say what happened in the past wil be no garantee for the future:
With Trump in charge there will be no support in times of war unless he sees a good deal for him and his USA-family. Me, Mom and Dad First.

That’s why you should let him build a sufficient number of Trump Towers and golf courses throughout Europe, as your best line of defense.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2019, 04:41:59 pm »

Of course, we also sent the germans in the wrong direction.

Big deal, my gps does that all the time.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2019, 04:47:03 pm »

Big deal, my gps does that all the time.

Could be TomTom then...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2019, 04:51:41 pm »

Face it, it was Russians and Americans that saved your sorry asses. Dutch contribution was to unscrew air valves on German soldiers' bicycles.

"Sorry asses" ?

"unscrewing air valves"?

This would be embarrassing in a children's school yard. I think the thread has devolved sufficiently.
--
Robert

faberryman

« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2019, 05:25:32 pm »

"Sorry asses" ?

"unscrewing air valves"?

This would be embarrassing in a children's school yard. I think the thread has devolved sufficiently.
Perhaps that is why discussion of politics was previously banned. It was a bad decision to allow it again. No good can come of it. It certainly doesn't add anything positive to LuLa. Except maybe post count. Which is a lousy metric for quality.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2019, 05:30:04 pm »

Oh, come on Robert, we are just having fun and a friendly banter. We love you all guys, French, Dutch, Brits, even Canadians ❤️

rabanito

« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2019, 06:07:41 pm »

Perhaps that is why discussion of politics was previously banned. It was a bad decision to allow it again. No good can come of it. It certainly doesn't add anything positive to LuLa. Except maybe post count. Which is a lousy metric for quality.
Yes. I agree with that

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2019, 06:21:25 pm »

Why is it that everybody and his mother-in-law feels completely entitled to criticize, mock, and spit on America and its sitting President? None of us on the American side complained or started running for our British nanny’s skirt, wailing about locking the thread, banning political discussions, etc. But when we return the favor, mildly, everybody is offended? Grow up.

faberryman

« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2019, 06:29:51 pm »

Why is it that everybody and his mother-in-law feels completely entitled to criticize, mock, and spit on America and its sitting President?
Everybody? For better or worse, he and his views seem well represented here.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:44:37 pm by faberryman »

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2019, 07:19:27 pm »

just a tiny effort to give the subject its own space

See what you started?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2019, 07:28:04 pm »

See what you started?

FWIW, it improved the Brexit thread. ;)

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2019, 08:16:37 pm »

America is more successful at collecting taxes than Europe I believe.  First off, most people are employees.  The tax collector makes the employer responsible to pay upfront taxe of their employees.  So most of the Federal and State and Local tax payments are made by their employers and taken out of the regular salary check when the employees get paid.    Social Security and Medicare deduction are also made by the employer at the time he pays his employees.  There's not much "net" left.  :)
I am not sure that this is true.  There are probably more self-employed people in the US than in Europe and the chance for faking the books is much larger in that case (not reporting certain amounts of income, fake deductions, etc.).  A number of European countries have automatic income tax calculations by the government.  Perhaps Bart can weigh in on this but I've read that in The Netherlands it takes less than 10 minutes to do ones income tax.  Just look at what the government says you earned and confirm the number; that's it.  In our own case, the government knows every bit of my wife and my income and yet we have to get Turbo Tax every year and go through all the cumbersome data entry.  The IRS should be able to do the tax calculation for us for free!!!  Both of my daughters are in the same position as salaried workers.  It's just obscene that the tax code is bonkers in this regard.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2019, 08:59:15 pm »

I am not sure that this is true.  There are probably more self-employed people in the US than in Europe and the chance for faking the books is much larger in that case (not reporting certain amounts of income, fake deductions, etc.).  A number of European countries have automatic income tax calculations by the government.  Perhaps Bart can weigh in on this but I've read that in The Netherlands it takes less than 10 minutes to do one's income tax.

Unfortunately (?  ;) ), for most, that's the case.

Well (depending on one's particular situation), 10 minutes is lightly on the short side of the time it takes, but that's mostly due to the time it takes to assure that one's prefilled tax statement is correct (in case something changed vs the prior year that they didn't already know about). We remain responsible for a correct statement. There are hardly any possibilities left for deductibles, so income and possessions are basically what remains to be stated/confirmed.

Just look at what the government says you earned and confirm the number; that's it.

Yes, that's basically what it boils down to.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2019, 10:28:16 pm »

Why is it that everybody and his mother-in-law feels completely entitled to criticize, mock, and spit on America and its sitting President? None of us on the American side complained or started running for our British nanny’s skirt, wailing about locking the thread, banning political discussions, etc. But when we return the favor, mildly, everybody is offended? Grow up.

Don't be so sensitive.

As to why people make fun of your sitting president, you have to admit he kind of attracts attention to himself.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2019, 10:48:49 pm »

I am not sure that this is true.  There are probably more self-employed people in the US than in Europe and the chance for faking the books is much larger in that case (not reporting certain amounts of income, fake deductions, etc.).  A number of European countries have automatic income tax calculations by the government.  Perhaps Bart can weigh in on this but I've read that in The Netherlands it takes less than 10 minutes to do ones income tax.  Just look at what the government says you earned and confirm the number; that's it.  In our own case, the government knows every bit of my wife and my income and yet we have to get Turbo Tax every year and go through all the cumbersome data entry.  The IRS should be able to do the tax calculation for us for free!!!  Both of my daughters are in the same position as salaried workers.  It's just obscene that the tax code is bonkers in this regard.

A little off-topic maybe, but this quick 22 min podcast about simplifying income tax from NPR Planet Money seemed relevant to this "sidebar": https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017/03/22/521132960/episode-760-tax-hero.
--
Robert

jeremyrh

« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2019, 02:55:52 am »

Dry your eyes, blossom. Nobody is "spitting" on anyone, just pointing out that it is rather distasteful for the supporters of Private Bonespurs to belittle the victims of Nazi occupation.

Rob C

« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2019, 03:56:09 am »

Yes. I agree with that

You are not forced to take part; if it hurts, don't play.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2019, 03:57:17 am »

You are not forced to take part; if it hurts, don't play.

Rob
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 107   Go Up