Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 107   Go Down

Author Topic: The American Constitution  (Read 120296 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: The American Constitution
« Reply #1720 on: August 20, 2019, 02:32:07 pm »

I really wondering how much longer the handlers can keep the gaffe machine at bay. 

You know if he makes it to the general election he is going to screw himself regardless.  Either he will limit his public appearances, making him look like ... um ... Hillary, or he will just start making gaffes, one after the other. 

On top of that, my brother is a hardcore liberal and works in politics, and I have been clued into the fact that Biden's handlers routinely bully reporters and confiscate equipment of less then knowledgable photographers and delete stuff they don't like to limit embarrassments.  (This has lead me to tell my brother exactly what his rights are and what security can and can not do.  They have no right even touch your gear or review your work; they can only ask you to leave.) 

Not surprised about Harris.  Her feathers were really ruffled last debate and she handled it by belittling her aggressor, had no real response. 

I think he's going to be tough.  He's a likeable guy.  Nice smile.  The press will cover for his gaffs and they will just compare them favorably to Trump's malapropisms. 

Frankly, Trump would do better against Pocahontas or Sanders.  Even Harris.  What's interesting, is you don't hear the press constantly making the point that Biden only has 30% of the vote; that 70% of the people don't want him.  Remember with Trump they kept saying that he can only get about 30-35%, that most people don't like him.  There's no way he can win.  Interesting how their tune changes when the candidate is a Democrat. 

faberryman

« Reply #1721 on: August 20, 2019, 03:15:05 pm »

There's no way he can win.  Interesting how their tune changes when the candidate is a Democrat.
According to a recent Fox News pool, Biden, Warren, Sanders, and Harris all beat Trump. Naturally Trump said there was something wrong at Fox News and he doesn't believe the poll. I think it is way too early. The election is more than a year away.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1722 on: August 20, 2019, 05:20:01 pm »

According to a recent Fox News pool, Biden, Warren, Sanders, and Harris all beat Trump...

There was a 97% scientific and statistical consensus that Clinton would beat Trump.

faberryman

« Reply #1723 on: August 20, 2019, 05:29:40 pm »

There was a 97% scientific and statistical consensus that Clinton would beat Trump.
You forgot to quote this part of my post.

I think it is way too early. The election is more than a year away.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #1724 on: August 20, 2019, 07:57:44 pm »

According to a recent Fox News pool, Biden, Warren, Sanders, and Harris all beat Trump. Naturally Trump said there was something wrong at Fox News and he doesn't believe the poll. I think it is way too early. The election is more than a year away.

These are all hypothetical polls against a possible Dem.  Wait until the rubber meets the road and voters have a clear choice between definitive policy votes.  Anyone other then Biden, and Trump is a sure win; as much as you may hate Trump, he is on the popular side of every major issue, which all polls have been showing as well.  If Biden gets the ticket, he may have a chance, but I feel the gaff machine combined with an already showing loss of clarity from age (not to mention he looks like he aged so much since 2016), that I feel it will still be hard for him to pull it off. 

On top of that, it should be noted that all of these polls quoted in the media is of the over all public, not the gerneal electorate.  If you look at only those who are registered to voted, the race is pretty even overall.  The swing states are the deciding factor, and last I checked, about 3 weeks ago, Trump was ahead in those states. 

Like we learned the last time, it is the electoral college that picks the winner, not the populous. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1725 on: August 20, 2019, 08:25:21 pm »

It all boils down to which FLOTUS you want to look at the next four years ;)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1726 on: August 20, 2019, 10:19:16 pm »

This must be part of negotiating the Greenland deal, I suppose, https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/458179-trump-says-hes-postponing-meeting-with-denmarks-leader-over-greenland. Cancellation of the meeting was probably met with relief by the Danish PM.

I'm confused. Is this an SNL skit?   :)

--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1727 on: August 20, 2019, 11:16:17 pm »

This must be part of negotiating the Greenland deal, I suppose, https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/458179-trump-says-hes-postponing-meeting-with-denmarks-leader-over-greenland. Cancellation of the meeting was probably met with relief by the Danish PM.

Greenland in 10 Years.  No ice but...

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1728 on: August 20, 2019, 11:38:30 pm »

Greenland in 10 Years.  No ice but...

Fits in very nicely and complements the other buildings. That's exactly what Greenland needs.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1729 on: August 21, 2019, 03:53:22 am »

In Trumpica anything is possible. Now he'll have to take Greenland by force, or bring them to their knees with a trade war.  :o
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

jeremyrh

« Reply #1730 on: August 21, 2019, 03:56:35 am »

In Trumpica anything is possible. Now he'll have to take Greenland by force, or bring them to their knees with a trade war.  :o

Apparently he has cancelled his trip to see the Queen of Denmark because the Danish PM didn't take his real estate plan seriously. Is he 5 years old, or what?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1731 on: August 21, 2019, 07:47:34 am »

Fits in very nicely and complements the other buildings. That's exactly what Greenland needs.
We'll all have to move into tall buildings when the ice melts. Oh wait.  That's another thread.

Rob C

« Reply #1732 on: August 21, 2019, 07:58:21 am »

We'll all have to move into tall buildings when the ice melts. Oh wait.  That's another thread.

Heysoos, Alan, get it right for once: we'll have to move into boats!

Mind you, if this particular mortal coil is still not unwound or unshuffled, that would allow it to revert to its late-seventies dream. Could my wife have been mistaken, for once? Sadly (not sure about that one), I doubt it.

:-)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #1733 on: August 21, 2019, 08:01:46 am »

This is a very dangerous precedent.  Now government leaders all over the world will be refusing to sell chunks of their territory just to avoid having to meet with Trump.

I have it on very good authority that within the next few hours, Prime Minister Trudeau plans to announce that Saskatchewan will never be for sale.  (No offense intended to any other province; it's just that senior Canadian officials reportedly are taking bets on how Trump will spell the name when he tweets his response.)

Not to be outdone, President López Obrador of México is cooking up una muy picante escalada.  He intends to say that he is taking Texas back—and that the United States will have pay for it!  As you can expect, this is certain to provoke un terremoto tweeterífico from el señor Loco del norte.  Brace yourselves for some shaky times in international politics.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:08:07 am by Chris Kern »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1734 on: August 21, 2019, 08:24:01 am »

Apparently he has cancelled his trip to see the Queen of Denmark because the Danish PM didn't take his real estate plan seriously. Is he 5 years old, or what?
I thought he was rude too.  But I did some research to see what was up with the deal.  Greenland is very strategic.  Especially with the Arctic being free from ice, Russia, China, USA, and others will be competing for mineral rights in the Arctic Sea as well as access for commercial ship traffic.  Greenland is in a strategic position to defend that area. We already have Thule Air Base there defending NATO countries from ballistic missiles.  Greenland itself has huge mineral deposits.   President Truman 80 years ago tried to buy Greenland, so it;s not something new.

My guess, this is an opening gambit. Typically Trump, he asks for everything then settles for a lot less.  He bangs you over the head with a 2 by 4.
 Then when he stops, you're so happy he did stop, you're willing to give him something.  It's how he negotiates.   Maybe the US government wants to at least buy part of it, or get some 99 year lease or agreement to expand our military there.   So he asks for everything, cancels the meeting in a tiff, but leaves the door open for future meeting with the Danish government when they can discuss something less than buying the whole island. It's not how I would negotiate.  You've got to have no shame.  But then again I'm neither a president nor a billionaire.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1735 on: August 21, 2019, 08:28:43 am »

This is a very dangerous precedent.  Now government leaders all over the world will be refusing to sell chunks of their territory just to avoid having to meet with Trump.

I have it on very good authority that within the next few hours, Prime Minister Trudeau plans to announce that Saskatchewan will never be for sale.  (No offense intended to any other province; it's just that senior Canadian officials reportedly are taking bets on how Trump will spell the name when he tweets his response.)

Not to be outdone, President López Obrador of México is cooking up una muy picante escalada.  He intends to say that he is taking Texas back—and that the United States will have pay for it!  As you can expect, this is certain to provoke un terremoto tweeterífico from el señor Loco del norte.  Brace yourselves for some shaky times in international politics.

Sasketchewan would be a problem since that would divide the country into the Flat Canada and Hilly Canada.
But maybe we could put up Newfoundland for sale instead. Much closer in distance and appearance to Greenland than any other province.

Rob C

« Reply #1736 on: August 21, 2019, 08:45:57 am »

Oh no, not more earthquakes! What will happen to all that indispensable grass etc. that forms so much of the GDP?

There will be transportational chaos at the border and the little "amateur flier" airports along el norte, just as there are going to be at the edges of the DK (Disunited Kingdom) after Little Ben strikes midnight on the last day of October.

A wise and prescient US govermnent will have already stockpiled vast suppliee of the narcotics to help get the home junkies through that period of stress, just as the UK one is promising to do with cancer drugs and silly things like wine and good foods. Come to think of it, an earthquake could induce some subtle, unexpected and unfactored changes into the design of motorcars/parts made south of the border. There must be a new song looking for an outlet there: Johnny Cash might have worked out how to produce such models, a little part at a time.

On the brighter side: a possible outlet for a new Cooter gig for the Border Patrol? I hope so: enjoyed seeing the first one! This time, though, can we have a few more señoritas taking part? Perhaps Salma H. has a few spare days and not too many spare blouses?

I live in eternal hope, confounding the critics who perceive me as a walking negative!

:-)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1737 on: August 21, 2019, 10:32:25 am »

I thought he was rude too.  But I did some research to see what was up with the deal.  Greenland is very strategic.  Especially with the Arctic being free from ice, Russia, China, USA, and others will be competing for mineral rights in the Arctic Sea as well as access for commercial ship traffic.  Greenland is in a strategic position to defend that area. We already have Thule Air Base there defending NATO countries from ballistic missiles.  Greenland itself has huge mineral deposits.   President Truman 80 years ago tried to buy Greenland, so it;s not something new.

My guess, this is an opening gambit. Typically Trump, he asks for everything then settles for a lot less.  He bangs you over the head with a 2 by 4.
 Then when he stops, you're so happy he did stop, you're willing to give him something.  It's how he negotiates.   Maybe the US government wants to at least buy part of it, or get some 99 year lease or agreement to expand our military there.   So he asks for everything, cancels the meeting in a tiff, but leaves the door open for future meeting with the Danish government when they can discuss something less than buying the whole island. It's not how I would negotiate.  You've got to have no shame.  But then again I'm neither a president nor a billionaire.

You slay me. You take this nonsense seriously? Personally I think he just confused Greenland with Iceland, which is a much nicer place to go on vacation. There are photos on this very site from Iceland, but I don't remember any from Greenland, but I could be wrong about that.

If the US wants to expand its base in Greenland for military/political reasons, then there are tried and true diplomatic channels to accomplish this that have been in place since 1945 among NATO allies. Those procedures didn't need to be improved by wild-ass public tweets.

Alan, are you actually a paid Russian troll? :)      Because that would explain a lot.

Coming back to Trump. Doesn't it concern you that the only employees he can keep long term are his own kids? Doesn't it concern you that no American banks will lend him money? Or is that all "fake news".
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1738 on: August 21, 2019, 10:34:59 am »

I see that Trump is now giving voting advice to Jewish people https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/458135-trump-jews-that-vote-democrat-show-lack-of-knowledge-or-great.

I was wondering, does he have advice for Catholics or Muslims too. Or atheists.
--
Robert

jeremyrh

« Reply #1739 on: August 21, 2019, 10:40:41 am »

There are photos on this very site from Iceland, but I don't remember any from Greenland, but I could be wrong about that.

To briefly divert into photography- Greenland is a fantastic location. Check out the work of Hans Strand and I think Kevin published some  Greenland photos here.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 107   Go Up