Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe obeys Trump politics, blocks Venezuela  (Read 395 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Adobe obeys Trump politics, blocks Venezuela
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 01:54:58 pm »

Another negative side of the subscription model...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 11:28:26 pm »

Another negative side of the subscription model...

Good point.  Of course, the user can't use any of the changes implemented by the program.  He can only download the original image or a save tiff or jpeg of the image after post processing.  Of course, the same thing happens when the user is the one that cancels his subscription.

lhodaniel

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 07:27:51 pm »

Hmmm. The EO was issued on 8/5 yet Adobe waits until October to decide such draconian action is required? The EO deals with the government of Venezuela, not its private citizens. (Although, one could argue that any photographer working in Venezuela is an agent of the government since the opposition there is unemployed and starving.) It is my belief that TPTB at Adobe are most likely Trump haters and have decided to supersede the EO in a way to maximize resentment and negative press against the Administration.

I wish Adobe had done this in September so I could have not renewed my subscription.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 07:56:48 am »

Good point.

Beyond Good point...that's the shooting match!

Peter
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:00:35 pm by petermfiore »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 09:30:22 am »

Hmmm. The EO was issued on 8/5 yet Adobe waits until October to decide such draconian action is required? The EO deals with the government of Venezuela, not its private citizens. (Although, one could argue that any photographer working in Venezuela is an agent of the government since the opposition there is unemployed and starving.) It is my belief that TPTB at Adobe are most likely Trump haters and have decided to supersede the EO in a way to maximize resentment and negative press against the Administration.

I wish Adobe had done this in September so I could have not renewed my subscription.
Frankly, I think Adobe is shooting itself in the foot.  More people will be ticked off at them than Trump.  Their CC programs include graphic artists as well as photographers.  Adobe is just hurting their customers for no reason.  I wouldn't be surprised of they change their minds and reinstitute access.  Otherwise, they're just flagging to every user just how little security you get from the subscription model.  Better to buy a lesser quality software package but know you're more secure. 

"CARACAS (Reuters) - Venezuelans desperately explored piracy workarounds on Tuesday to continue using Adobe programs after the software developer said it will cut access to its products for the country’s users, citing U.S. sanctions.
A slew of Venezuelan creative professionals took to social media to argue that Adobe’s move would have a devastating impact on freelance designers and marketers, who are already struggling with a hyperinflationary economic collapse."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-adobe/venezuela-designers-turn-to-piracy-after-adobe-announces-it-will-cut-service-idUSKBN1WN25L

jeremyrh

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 09:46:51 am »

Frankly, I think Adobe is shooting itself in the foot.  More people will be ticked off at them than Trump.  Their CC programs include graphic artists as well as photographers.  Adobe is just hurting their customers for no reason.  I wouldn't be surprised of they change their minds and reinstitute access.  Otherwise, they're just flagging to every user just how little security you get from the subscription model.  Better to buy a lesser quality software package but know you're more secure. 

I agree with Alan. (Yes, you read that right!!)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 10:31:09 am »

Wow, Jeremy.  We ought to go out and have a beer together to celebrate.  You're not such a bad guy after all.   :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up