Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Lightroom Classic CC" is now "Lightroom Classic"  (Read 2217 times)

datro

"Lightroom Classic CC" is now "Lightroom Classic"
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:56:32 am »

I just did the latest updates from Adobe and discovered that "Lightroom Classic CC" has been quietly renamed to "Lightroom Classic", i.e. there is no "CC" in the name or file structure for the product.

Maybe this is just an effort by Adobe to differentiate between "Lightroom CC" (the newer "cloud" version) vs. classic, but I'm wondering if there is any further meaning behind this change.  Has anyone seen any mention by Adobe of this name change?

jrsforums

John

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
Re: "Lightroom Classic CC" is now "Lightroom Classic"
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 10:45:16 am »

It looks to me that Adobe is now offering 3 different image editing plans. 

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/compare-plans.html?promoid=VKW3KGR6&mv=other

The regular Photography Plan with 20GB that most of us have.  Then there is a new(?) $9.99 plan that it calls Lightroom Plan which seems to include 1TB storage with "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom all-new app" which sounds like a more compact/lite versions of Lightroom and Photoshop combined (I am guessing here.)  And the third plan is the first plan with 1TB storage with $10 more.  There does not seem to be any change if you have the first regular plan. 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 10:49:43 am »

Then there is a new(?) $9.99 plan that it calls Lightroom Plan which seems to include 1TB storage with "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom all-new app" which sounds like a more compact/lite versions of Lightroom and Photoshop combined (I am guessing here.) 

No, it's a Mac/PC version of the Lightroom Mobile iOS/Android app.

TonyW

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 11:11:06 am »

It looks to me that Adobe is now offering 3 different image editing plans. 

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/compare-plans.html?promoid=VKW3KGR6&mv=other

The regular Photography Plan with 20GB that most of us have.  Then there is a new(?) $9.99 plan that it calls Lightroom Plan which seems to include 1TB storage with "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom all-new app" which sounds like a more compact/lite versions of Lightroom and Photoshop combined (I am guessing here.)  And the third plan is the first plan with 1TB storage with $10 more.  There does not seem to be any change if you have the first regular plan.
Interesting thanks for the link. 

One thing that did seem a little odd to me is the fact that the costs per plan and naming seem to have changed or been shuffled to make room!

The original plan that many seem to have was called Photography Plan (20GB) which included LR CC CLassic and Photoshop and cost £9.99 per month.  That plan seems to have been temporarily reduced in price and now named Creative Cloud Photography Plan (20GB) at £8.32 per month, but we must hurry as the offer ends 23 May ???

The new £9.98 plan is the cloud-based LR with 1TB storage and the new? Photography plan with 1TB storage is £19.97 per month.

So what exactly is going to happen with the original Photography Plan, LR and PS, and 20GB storage?  We know that it is a limited offer and can only guess that it must increase in price from the current £8+ or even discontinue as a plan?  With luck, it will remain as a plan choice and take its place at the existing price of £10.  Does that seem likely as the cloud-based LR only plan is at that price point?

EDIT:Looking further this is what Adobe say about the reduction
Terms and Conditions
For a limited time from 16th May until 23rd May, an annual membership to the Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan may be purchased for a reduced price of £8.32 per month incl. VAT for the first year.After the first year we will renew your contract automatically for another year at the then-current standard annual price (currently £9.98 per month incl. VAT), unless you cancel. 

Personal hopes are that things do not change significantly to my current plan including price, I am even more than happy to relinquish my 20GB cloud allocation as it is of zero interest to me
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:40:24 am by TonyW »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 12:02:53 pm »

The 20gb storage allows you to take advantage of  Lightroom Mobile's camera for shooting HDR and raw (DNG) and  makes it effortless to transfer new iOS camera pictures/video to your main computer and catalogued in LR.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 03:35:05 pm »

My speculation, which could be wrong (I actually hope so), based on these name changes and creative cloud plans, is that Adobe's long term strategy is to phase out the now called "Lightroom Classic" and have the cloud based version only. This is not going to happen tomorrow, but let's talk in 10 years time.
Noe that even in the Creative Cloud app, Lightroom Classic has been moved down in the list.

It is very unlikely for a flagship product to change name. That product is "Lightroom", look at what that meant in 2016 and what it means now. 

Perhaps in a couple of years "Lightoom Classic" will change to "Lightroom Legacy"

faberryman

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 03:37:10 pm »

As long as I don't lose the functionality of Lightroom Classic, I couldn't care less what they call it.

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 09:22:49 pm »

As long as I don't lose the functionality of Lightroom Classic, I couldn't care less what they call it.

👍👍

Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 09:33:13 pm »

My speculation, which could be wrong (I actually hope so), based on these name changes and creative cloud plans, is that Adobe's long term strategy is to phase out the now called "Lightroom Classic" and have the cloud based version only. This is not going to happen tomorrow, but let's talk in 10 years time.
Noe that even in the Creative Cloud app, Lightroom Classic has been moved down in the list.

It is very unlikely for a flagship product to change name. That product is "Lightroom", look at what that meant in 2016 and what it means now. 

Perhaps in a couple of years "Lightoom Classic" will change to "Lightroom Legacy"

In 10 years time a LOT can change.  Over the last 15 years or so I've seen a ton of changes/improvements/etc to PS and the introduction of Lr not to mention inkjet printers, digital cameras, computers, handheld phones, etc.

Methinks your prognostications are based on some suspect data.
Regards,
Ron

Lightsmith

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 01:21:31 pm »

I am still using PS CS6 for the bulk of my image processing and nothing of substance has changed since I purchased a site license for my company. What has changed is that the product people at Adobe have become complacent as if there are bugs in the new release they get another shot at it with the following months new code release that customers have to download and hope that the new code does not break something else.

What is worse is the inefficiency of the Lightroom and Photoshop code. ON1 did a free upgrade in May that increased performance by 50% with their new code. With Adobe, as with Microsoft, the user is expected to go out and buy a new computer to compensate.

While in Costa Rica in 2017 a fellow photographer was trying to use Lightroom on his laptop but the Adobe authentication failed with the shared DSL connection at the lodge and he could not run Lightroom. A 100% cloud application running on web servers located who knows where would be much much worse.

Lightroom is not designed for a multi-user or even a multi-computer environment which is another severe limitation. Fortunately there are many excellent alternatives from which to choose and we are in the process of evaluating which ones to use going forward. We want ones that will run on OS X as well as Windows so we are not restricted to Microsoft's kludgy and highly vulnerable operating system for our business.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 02:45:37 pm »

I am still using PS CS6 for the bulk of my image processing and nothing of substance has changed since I purchased a site license for my company.

That's simply nonsense.

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 03:50:29 pm »

Regards,
Ron

Rand47

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 09:59:26 am »

That's simply nonsense.

Perhaps he means nothing that he’s interested in, or that would change his current workflow.  But there have been some truly stunning upgrades that have brought new or greatly improved tools to the toolbox!

I can see how one would be chagrined at the CC (cash cow) subscription plan, but in reality it isn’t any more expensive than doing 18 month major release updates.

Rand

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

chez

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 11:06:16 am »

Perhaps he means nothing that he’s interested in, or that would change his current workflow.  But there have been some truly stunning upgrades that have brought new or greatly improved tools to the toolbox!

I can see how one would be chagrined at the CC (cash cow) subscription plan, but in reality it isn’t any more expensive than doing 18 month major release updates.

Rand

Rand

And for someone just coming into LR / PS, the $10/month is a steal compared to shelling out close the $1,000 as it was during the perpetual license days.

dreed

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2019, 05:58:59 am »

And for someone just coming into LR / PS, the $10/month is a steal compared to shelling out close the $1,000 as it was during the perpetual license days.

And reduces the incentive/driver to pirate it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up