Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Erasing part of an image to reveal background layer?  (Read 1461 times)

Garnick

Re: Erasing part of an image to reveal background layer?
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 12:35:21 pm »

I don't actually understand what you're pulling me up on. When I said 'paint on the image' or paint 'in the image area', I simply meant to paint in the document window that contains the image. If I had advised the OP to first select the image layer in the layers palette, and then start painting on the image, then of course there would be a problem (i.e. a black image). But I didn't do that.... I just said: select the adjustment layer, select a black brush, then paint out the adjustment.

This is it Elliot, my last reply.  I believe this quote sums it up very well.  " I simply meant to paint in the document window that contains the image "  My point is this - the "document widow that contains the image is totally separated from the adjustment layer.  As a matter of fact it is always below that adjustment layer.  Therefore, painting in the "document window / layer" is exactly the wrong thing to do.  For the desired outcome one has to paint (either black or white) in the Adjustment Layer Mask.  It is that simple.  I rest my case.

Have a great day  :)   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Garnick

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 12:40:53 pm »

Unfortunately I never learned the keyboard shortcuts and even if I did, I can never remember them so I take the long route.  This way I can let the mouse/pen do all the talking....:)

Unfortunately, as the years creep up on me I can identify with that statement.  However, of all the keyboard shortcuts along with the ones I've created over the years, this is one I use a lot and so far my memory hasn't failed me.  Nothing wrong with taking the slow lane, the result is the same and perhaps sometimes more accurate.   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 01:05:31 pm »

Unfortunately, as the years creep up on me I can identify with that statement.  However, of all the keyboard shortcuts along with the ones I've created over the years, this is one I use a lot and so far my memory hasn't failed me.  Nothing wrong with taking the slow lane, the result is the same and perhaps sometimes more accurate.   

These shortcuts are simple enough and I use the steps quite often as well.  So may be I will try and remember them.  Thanks.

:Niranjan.

Daverich

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 02:38:42 pm »

Unfortunately I never learned the keyboard shortcuts and even if I did, I can never remember them so I take the long route.  This way I can let the mouse/pen do all the talking....:)

Well, the mask always starts out white and command/I will invert it to black. That saves a little futzing and you don’t have to worry about what the foreground color is. I’ve done it so many times my thumb and index finger go to the right keys on their own.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 03:03:03 pm »

Well, the mask always starts out white and command/I will invert it to black. That saves a little futzing and you don’t have to worry about what the foreground color is. I’ve done it so many times my thumb and index finger go to the right keys on their own.

Even better!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up