Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P9000 Print-head (possible) clog causing stripe on light cyan only  (Read 7064 times)

deanwork

I don’t know anyone thrilled with the concept of moving one of these beasts in and outi using 4 people  every 3 or so years. And what are you going to do with it, junk all the rest of it in a landfill? Or spend a month taking it apart and trying to sell parts on eBay for very little money. Such a waste for a lot of reasons when only the small print head needs replacing and 98% percent of the machine is in otherwise perfect condition. In almost two decades of using these things I’ve never had anything fail on a big Epson other than heads and one circuit board.

The main reason why the manufacturer's don't allow the extended warranties past 3 years total (1-year warranty upfront and 2 years extended...max) is because for the money you're spending for everything, you can get a new printer and start fresh (realistically).

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

I don’t know anyone thrilled with the concept of moving one of these beasts in and outi using 4 people  every 3 or so years. And what are you going to do with it, junk all the rest of it in a landfill? Or spend a month taking it apart and trying to sell parts on eBay for very little money. Such a waste for a lot of reasons when only the small print head needs replacing and 98% percent of the machine is in otherwise perfect condition. In almost two decades of using these things I’ve never had anything fail on a big Epson other than heads and one circuit board.

This makes sense.

In any case, I think the real reason why extended warranties don't extend beyond three years is that the statistical risk of repair increases with age, so the longer they are extended the more expensive they would be and there is probably some limit to the market for that kind of insurance. I would count on them to have evaluated this, but perhaps they've been less imaginative than the auto manufacturers who have offered different warranty periods on different components.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

deanwork

Well yea, that’s like buying a car and tossing the whole thing out if the fuel injectors go out because you can buy the whole car for almost the cost of the fuel injectors. It’s bizarre.

Besides the horrible environmental consequences of throwing away all this expensive massive tech, that is still like new, and having to move the damn things, which is enough in and of itself, there is no real incentive for Epson to be producing all these “disposable” printers. They never made a profit selling big printers. It’s all in the ink and media. They could sell you a design of piezo head that is user replaceable, as Roland did with Seiko heads for about 15 years. They were super easy to replace as were the pumps and dampers and easy to get to.  And much of the improvements of the next series could be done with firmware improvements or modular part improvements that they sell you in a kit. Canon would have never captured that level of market share if they had thought this way. Really as long as the 9900s were out there, very little parts were changed for the P9000 series. I think even the heads are the same.

For some reason Epson just does not want any end user replacing anything on their machines, and I doubt that will change.

This makes sense.

In any case, I think the real reason why extended warranties don't extend beyond three years is that the statistical risk of repair increases with age, so the longer they are extended the more expensive they would be and there is probably some limit to the market for that kind of insurance. I would count on them to have evaluated this, but perhaps they've been less imaginative than the auto manufacturers who have offered different warranty periods on different components.

PrintNovice

Did you buy your Epson with a credit card that offer doubling your guarantee up to 1 year?  Before deciding not to buy Epson extended guarantee on my P9000, I called my credit card company (VISA, in Canada) and they confirmed that they would cover my P9000 for an extra year.

So, buying the extended guarantee for the second year appears to me as lost investment. My printer is 10 months-old and I love it. More fun than with my 24" 7900.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your input.  We still do not have a technical solution but thanks to Yvan's advice here we might have a financial solution.  Turns out our Visa card will extend the warranty for an additional year and as such we have decided to proceed with repairs through Epson/DecisionONE.  It's going to be a process but I will be sure to update the forum with the results.  Hopefully, we end up with a technical explanation to share with you.

Thanks again,

Yvan Bedard

• Yvan Bedard Photo Nature

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your input.  We still do not have a technical solution but thanks to Yvan's advice here we might have a financial solution.  Turns out our Visa card will extend the warranty for an additional year and as such we have decided to proceed with repairs through Epson/DecisionONE.  It's going to be a process but I will be sure to update the forum with the results.  Hopefully, we end up with a technical explanation to share with you.

Thanks again,

Hope it works as it should with Visa. Keep us informed.

Yvan
Yvan
Fine-art landscape photographer in Quebec City, Canada
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

PrintNovice

Re: Epson P9000 Print-head (possible) clog causing stripe on light cyan only
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 06:16:33 pm »

Its been quite a while since I initiated this topic but wanted to follow up.  It took a long time and was a major hassle but ultimately the costs of our repair where covered by Visa.  Decision One (Epson's official repair service) missed several appointments and ultimately had to come out 4 or 5 times before finally restoring full functionality to our Epson.  At first the replacement print head was not working at all and we were told that it was a new variant manufactured in China instead of Japan where the original print head was made.  Eventually, a Japanese made print head was tracked down and installed and after months of down time we now have a functional printer again.  Sorry for the lack of technical details.   

deanwork

Re: Epson P9000 Print-head (possible) clog causing stripe on light cyan only
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2019, 06:34:45 pm »

Truly scary, Epson Chinese print heads .

Its been quite a while since I initiated this topic but wanted to follow up.  It took a long time and was a major hassle but ultimately the costs of our repair where covered by Visa.  Decision One (Epson's official repair service) missed several appointments and ultimately had to come out 4 or 5 times before finally restoring full functionality to our Epson.  At first the replacement print head was not working at all and we were told that it was a new variant manufactured in China instead of Japan where the original print head was made.  Eventually, a Japanese made print head was tracked down and installed and after months of down time we now have a functional printer again.  Sorry for the lack of technical details.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up