Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: But is it Landscape?  (Read 863 times)

biker

• powered by a pair of quadriceps
But is it Landscape?
« on: June 02, 2019, 04:27:22 pm »

The intended title of this shot was "Red, Red and the Rest" or just "Look!".
Before posting to the Landscape Showcase I realised: Wait! Is it a real landscape picture? Are people so close (actually a subject of the picture) allowed in the landscape work? Isn't it almost like taking a selfie with a landscape background?
You can't avoid people in certain situations. A mountain side view in Alps without colourful spots of anoraks? Only by cloning them out in the post process.
You can employ people in some situations. A rural motive with a ploughman in the background is probably okay.
But what about this picture? These two random red-headed schoolgirls actually made the picture. Seeing them there and pointing somewhere made me act briskly and promote the midday sun bleached rocks (a rubbish picture) to something hopefully acceptable. The background was partially desaturated in the post.

So where does it belong? It's not a street. It's a landscape. But is it really a landscape picture?
Don't wait until the flock moves.
Be first to comment. (Unless you haven't got anything to say.)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: But is it Landscape?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 06:26:02 pm »

It is a family-album picture.

jim t

• jimtsioles photography
Re: But is it Landscape?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 02:17:50 pm »

I wouldn't call this a landscape at all. The presence of the girls in the way they are situated shows their perspective and the conversation they are having fills the context. The finger pointing tells us the two are communicating something.  This more or less is what the photo is about to me.  If anything I could see it being categorized as being a travel photo.

biker