Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3200 Cutter fail issue  (Read 442 times)

mfrohman

z3200 Cutter fail issue
« on: May 06, 2019, 06:38:43 pm »

Hi all,

Another z3200 issue here. I had a paper jam last week. It didn't seem serious but the front edge of the paper had bunched up a little which was easily cleared. I did notice that the cutter had parked in the spot where the paper bunched up and it seemed like it was maybe the cause of the jam. I cleared it, pushed the cutter back to the left, and restarted and have been printing fine all week and the cutter worked.

Today I had another paper jam although there didn't seem to be any actual jam or paper issue but there was a sound and the print stopped just an inch into the job and a paper jam error showed on the screen. I restarted the printer and it's printing fine but the cutter is no longer working. I'm not sure exactly how the carriage grabs onto the cutter but it doesnt seem to be grabbing it anymore and leaves the cutter parked on the left side of the printer. It will do the cutter routine but instead of there being a cut, the carriage just passes over the paper since the cutter is not attached to the carriage.

Does this mean the cutter is bad? This particular printer is only a year and a half old and my 5 year old z3200 cutter is still going strong. I do know how to change the cutter as I just replaced the belt on my older Z.

I wonder if I just need to reseat the cutter in the carriage somehow?

Anyone have a similar experience or thoughs?

as always, thanks!
Mark
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800

enduser

Re: z3200 Cutter fail issue
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 08:39:29 pm »

Usually the bunching is when the media is too soft, eg thin canvas as opposed to 250+ paper. It also happens when the blade becomes blunt.

mfrohman

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 09:57:32 pm »

I think I figured this out by comparing the cutter on my other machine to this one. There's a piece of plastic like a post that sticks up from the cutter that seems to have broken off. This must be needed for the carriage to grab onto the cutter. I guess my paper jam last week must have cracked it and it finally fell off today. Just ordered a new cutter from LPS.

William Chitham

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 11:32:05 am »

Good news, the cutter is an easy part to replace, however, if I were you I'd be keen to know where the broken bit is...
William.

mfrohman

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 08:38:24 pm »

Exactly, I've been wondering that also and have not located it yet. It is printing fine though. When I have it open to replace the cutter I will hopefully find it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up