Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild Ginger focus-stacking  (Read 713 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Wild Ginger focus-stacking
« on: May 06, 2019, 12:01:50 pm »

FINALLY! After decades of being in deciduous forests in spring to photograph wildflowers, I’ve captured one of a wild ginger flower. The difference, I had the time to really concentrate on finding the ideal flower and plant and the time to spend capturing it properly. It was also early enough in the season for the flowers to be in near prime condition.

The image is not Earth shattering and won’t garner any kind of awards, but it is meaningful to me. It’s not unlike a carpenter who has produced a beautiful piece of furniture – a lot of craft, aesthetically pleasing, but not artistically ground-breaking.

Nikon D800E w/ AF-Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 D + Hoya Pro 1 Polarizer on a Manfotto 055 tripod and Benro ball head. I mention the 055 tripod because this model has the horizontal column - best thing for close-up photography ‘since sliced bread’.

I’m relatively new to focus-stacking, but I can see I will be making greater use of the technique provided the breeze is on my side. Focus stacking was done in Affinity Photo (Focus Merge) using Lightroom-generated tiffs.

BTW, I’ve included an iPhone 8 Plus photo of the same plant, as it, too, produced a quality photo using the 28mm/1.8 lens and Lightroom CC Mobile hdr-dng capture and processing.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Wild Ginger focus-stacking
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:56:46 am »

Fine photos and wild ginger reminds me of some great hikes on Kauai through wild ginger taller than me. The fragrance with each step was intoxicating!
I also have that 055 tripod but don't usually hike with the big beast although I can see the utility of that center column for this kind of thing.
-MattB

stamper

Re: Wild Ginger focus-stacking
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 12:41:31 pm »

you should be well pleased with your efforts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up