Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to create gilded frame affect in Photoshop?  (Read 646 times)

Dinarius

How to create gilded frame affect in Photoshop?
« on: May 02, 2019, 08:42:30 am »

I have a photograph of an iconic historical figure.

I may try and source an old, gilded icon frame to frame it.

But, I'd like to consider the option of creating an image of a frame around it that is part of the print.

I could try and source an high-res image of a gilded frame and drop it in. But, where to look?

A third possibility would be to create a type of gilded frame in CS6. And this is where I'm stumped. Would that be possible? I'm getting more into graphic design and way out of my comfort zone now! :)

Thanks.

D.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: How to create gilded frame affect in Photoshop?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 08:49:05 am »

Hi D.

You could google gilded frames.....the world will open up to you.

Peter

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 08:53:43 am »

Search the Library of Congress web site for photos of the period for that person. You'll need to review the terms of use, but you can download hi res TIFs which often include decorative frames or mounts. One nice thing is that the frames often have interesting little imperfections. You can then use PS to cut out the central area and drop in your photo.

Apart from anything else, it's a fascinating site with all sorts of content.

TonyW

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 10:15:29 am »

I agree with Peter and John a search for a usable gilded frame shot may be your best option

A third possibility would be to create a type of gilded frame in CS6. And this is where I'm stumped. Would that be possible? I'm getting more into graphic design and way out of my comfort zone now! :)

If you really have to create one from scratch a simple design would probably work best and certainly be the easiest the key is getting the shadows and reflections to look real enough.  Too fancy, a design would require a lot of work dodging and burning to get close to something realistic.

Attached is one possible workflow starting from scratch.  It is nowhere near perfect but may help you develop the idea further to get where you need to be - worthwhile having a gold frame image close by to look at how the lighting hits it

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:22:34 am by TonyW »

Dinarius

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 10:19:01 am »

Thanks to all for the replies.

I think that it will come down to an online search or buying something appropriate in a junk shop.

D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up