Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Lightroom Print Preview  (Read 2457 times)

vrkaya

The Lightroom Print Preview
« on: April 20, 2019, 08:56:22 pm »

I use the Epson P800 as my printer; in fact I like it so much I now have two of them. I was able to long ago solve the "paper skewed" error (thanks to this forum) for roll loading by always first trimming the end of the roll square before I load it.

The question I have now is about Lightroom's Print Preview. I'm using the latest LR Classic version.

If I want a print to be exactly 13x19" and I have roll paper loaded for it, the Print Preview shows that the output is going to be exactly 13x19" and that is what is printed; exactly as I want. I'm looking at the rulers in the print preview, along with my settings for this, and I also have all the visual cues turned on for the Print Preview.

The thing is I like to reserve my roll paper for prints longer then 22" so I also print a lot with 17x22" sheets. Here's what I have found:

With the paper selection at 17x22"/17x22" Roll paper (Borderless, Auto-Expand); and with the Print Preview showing (& my settings confirming) that the print will be exactly 13x19" the print comes out at 13.25x19.5".

So, I assumed maybe the "expand" portion of the paper selection is doing this, but:
With the paper selection at 17x22"/17x22" Roll paper (Borderless, Retain Size); and with the Print Preview showing (& my settings confirming) that the print will be exactly 13x19" the print comes out to the same 13.25x19.5".

It also prints the 13.25x19.5" if I select just 17x22 in, with no borderless text.

In all three previous explanations the Print Preview shows the image will be printed at exactly 13x19" which is what I want.

If I change the size settings to 12.75x18.75" the image is printed at 13 1/16 x 19 3/16"; closer and much better but not very intuitive, plus I'm spending extra time trying to get it to print to the size in the Print Preview - which I what I always desired.

As noted, the image is always outputted to the exact size of the preview if I use Roll Paper, but I use more sheets then rolls.

To me, the value of the Print Preview was to show what you are going to get "before" hitting the Print button and using your ink & paper. Of course, if I was always printing the same size as above I could eventually arrive at the numbers to fudge to get it, but my sizes vary and I probably only print 8-9 prints per week on average.

Am I expecting too much here with the Print Preview? 

BTW the above results occur with or without Zoom to Fit checked. Also, the print comes out perfectly in size IF I print from Photoshop; but I really like the features of Lightroom for printing and often split-tone and proof there, so going to PS for my printing is not the most desired solution.

So, do you think this is something with LR or is it something with the Epson drivers?
I would sure like to find a permanent solution to make more efficient time of my efforts with the printer, so any input/ideas you could be provide would be much appreciated!

Regards, Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: The Lightroom Print Preview
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 08:59:38 pm »

How do you set the margins in the printer driver and in the Lightroom Print Module?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

vrkaya

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 10:41:34 pm »

Under the Print Module in LR, I use Page Setup to select the paper and orientation, then I use Print Settings - usually just to ensure that the paper feed, print quality, and specific paper setting are correct. Other then the "expansion" setting under Print Settings - Roll Paper Settings, the only setting available for margins is in the Print Module - Layout section. When I use roll paper, or the 17x22 (borderless auto-expand) & (borderless retain-size) selections - all four margins in Layout (Left, Right, Top, Bottom) are at 0.00.

When I select 17x22 - without the borderless option - the four margins in Layout are at a minimum of 0.12 in and cannot be set lower.

The only other Panel that opens is when I select Print and then the P800 jobs Panel is open but the print is already being printed and there are, of course, no options for margins there.

This is all with LR using OS X.

Ron

vrkaya

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 10:44:46 pm »

From Photoshop, it is about the same and the Print Settings button in the PS Print Dialog brings up the same panel as the LR Print Settings button, yet the size comes out correct from PS?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 10:56:01 pm »

If you go to page setup and open it, that takes you into the Epson driver. If you select to create a new preset, that opens adjustments for width height and margins. Create a new preset for the print dimensions you want, making sure to set all the margins in that dialog box to zero. Make sure these settings are saved as a preset. Borderless Retain Size should work. Printing borderless from a roll with a custom size preset set-up in this way is usually the most reliable path to getting what you want.

vrkaya

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 11:04:37 pm »

Mark, I did not list that because I forgot about it - since I only use it with rolls to set the length (height) of the roll print - but yes there are the margin settings and I had presets only for my roll media and they are all set to 0 for all four margins. I didn't even think about making my own custom preset for sheets. I will do so now.

Thank you!
Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 11:07:16 pm »

It could help, because it avoids the risk of those settings not being used once you leave that box. Once you select the correctly configured preset, it sticks at least for that document.

Arlen

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 12:24:24 pm »

In case it is of some relevance to your issue, I have occasionally found that a printing problem using a preset is solved by deleting the preset and creating a new one. Even though I couldn't see anything wrong with the original preset.

vrkaya

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 05:12:01 pm »

Mark & Arlin,
The use of custom presets for sheets appears to be working. I am now getting the exact size I specified. Thanks for your suggestions!

Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 06:10:31 pm »

Good. Glad that's resolved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up