Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cameras used as weapons?  (Read 440 times)

Redcrown

Cameras used as weapons?
« on: April 15, 2019, 12:31:00 pm »

Please help me out with some research. I'm trying to find any instances where a camera was used as a weapon. Maybe thrown at someone, maybe swung on a strap, maybe packed with explosives?

Every Google search I try fails to find anything useful. For example, Googling "camera weapon" gives a billion hits about cameras mounted on weapons or cameras (actually photography) used as weapons against tyranny, gov't oppression, etc. I've found only 1 news report showing a big telephoto lens being tossed by rioters at a football game.
(https://petapixel.com/2012/05/21/man-chucking-a-10000-canon-projectile/)

I'm investigating what appears to be a widespread ban on "Professional cameras with detachable lenses" at public sporting events in the USA. A ban that has apparently emerged in the past 5 years. The wording in these bans varies by venue, but still appears to have a common source. So, I'm wondering if the ban stems from a single event, like the infamous "shoe bomber" of 2001 that led to all of us removing our shoes at airport security.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Cameras used as weapons?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:39:12 pm »

... I'm investigating what appears to be a widespread ban on "Professional cameras with detachable lenses" at public sporting events in the USA...

I would think the ban has much more to do with the exclusive rights of accredited sport photographers present alongside the field than safety.

faberryman

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 12:46:45 pm »

I'm investigating what appears to be a widespread ban on "Professional cameras with detachable lenses" at public sporting events in the USA. A ban that has apparently emerged in the past 5 years. The wording in these bans varies by venue, but still appears to have a common source. So, I'm wondering if the ban stems from a single event, like the infamous "shoe bomber" of 2001 that led to all of us removing our shoes at airport security.
It's got nothing to do with cameras being used as weapons and everything to do with limiting photography to those with credentials. Surely you've seen those scrums of thirty or so photographers with the same cameras and lenses taking the same pictures for different outlets.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:50:46 pm by faberryman »

rabanito

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 04:26:16 am »

It's got nothing to do with cameras being used as weapons and everything to do with limiting photography to those with credentials. Surely you've seen those scrums of thirty or so photographers with the same cameras and lenses taking the same pictures for different outlets.

I remember while waiting for a flight to Israel via El Al (this long time ago) with lots of diving equipment they screened us painstakingly one by one and among other things they inspected my camera. They didn't insist in opening it (there was a film inside) but I had to release the shutter once.
(I pointed it to the policeman jokingly and he moved it away with his hand).
Yes they were very strict but not rude.
Pages: [1]   Go Up