Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Epson 3800  (Read 1197 times)

Peter Mellis

Problem with Epson 3800
« on: April 13, 2019, 04:06:45 pm »

I have an Epson 3800 that has worked very well over the years – no issues worse than the occasional head cleaning, even after sitting for a few months. I recently printed on several sheets of Epson Radiant White Watercolor, using the rear feed for the first time. Those prints were fine, but the next time I started up the printer and tried, the paper advanced to the point where an inch or two would print and the printer would stop. The power light starts blinking and there is no error message.

I switched to the sheet feed and tried printing on some matte paper of various sizes. Same thing – paper advances, prints a bit and then stops – no error message. Everything is set properly in the driver – paper type, size, etc. All of the cartridges have ink in them. I’ve tried playing around with the “paper check” setting and the platen gap and even used several different printing programs – no luck.
It sorta looks like each sheet stops at the same point, regardless of size. Could something have gotten stuck in there? No error message indicating a paper jam and the paper comes out by itself when the machine is shut down.
I realize that this machine is several generations old but it has, until now, worked fine and produced good prints. I’d like to keep it going as long as possible and am hoping that the problem is something that can easily be fixed – like “pilot error”. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Problem with Epson 3800
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 04:31:53 pm »

Have you called Epson ProGraphics Support to discuss this problem with them? It's free and they can be very helpful.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Peter Mellis

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 06:45:47 pm »

Mark - Hadn't thought to call them as I figured that they wouldn't be helpful since the machine is long out of warranty. I'll give it a try on Monday. Thanks.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 01:50:53 pm »

I have an Epson 3800 that has worked very well over the years .....using the rear feed for the first time.
That must be a long time.

I'd guess that unless you've kept the printer exceptionally clean, there will be some debris/dust/fluff that's collected over the years and has been pushed into/over one of the paper sensors in the printing path.

Cleaning that out is a good first step. Get the vacuum cleaner out, use a compressed air jet, a sticky cleaning sheet run through, try just about everything non destructive to get any muck out.

There's a possibility that something has mechanically broken on first use, but cleaning is likely to be the key to sorting it out. It just might be very difficult to get at the bit that needs cleaning without expert guidance.

Peter Mellis

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 10:00:39 am »

Just got back to working on this. Got a small, high powered vacuum nozzle in there and hit every space that I could reach (and bumped a few parts also). Printer is now working with the sheet feeder - will try back feed after I take that off and clean thoroughly. The inside of the machine appeared to be pretty clean before I went at it, so I assume that it picked up some paper dust or whatever when I ran the WC paper.

Thanks for the tip.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 10:20:12 am »

Nice to hear it's working again :-)

They're great printers that are worth the effort to keep them working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up