Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Brexit Encore  (Read 85829 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Brexit Encore
« Reply #1400 on: December 14, 2019, 03:57:39 am »

Gwynne Dyer's view: http://gwynnedyer.com/2019/a-european-germany-not-a-german-europe/.
The last two paragraphs nail it, except the majority of people in the UK don't want brexit :-(

Rob C

« Reply #1401 on: December 14, 2019, 09:08:22 am »

We have one as well - I concur.

I can make a huge sacrifice and stick with an anodyne can of beer!

Anything else, and I would probably contrive to blow myself up, or poison myself instead.

;-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1402 on: December 14, 2019, 01:17:39 pm »

Poor Jeremy Corbyn. Everyone is blaming the poor chap for failing to polish the turd  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #1403 on: December 15, 2019, 05:26:10 am »

Poor Jeremy Corbyn. Everyone is blaming the poor chap for failing to polish the turd  ;)

Were you suggesting masturbation as technique or even therapy?

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1404 on: December 17, 2019, 05:03:55 pm »

Brexit, schmexit.

While four major camera manufacturers are canceling their plans for Photokina in Cologne, Germany, they will be attending a U.K. show next year.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/another-one-bites-the-dust-fujifilm-pulls-out-of-photokina-2020?utm_content=buffercac3e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer_dcwfb

Rob C

« Reply #1405 on: December 18, 2019, 03:38:58 am »

Brexit, schmexit.

While four major camera manufacturers are canceling their plans for Photokina in Cologne, Germany, they will be attending a U.K. show next year.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/another-one-bites-the-dust-fujifilm-pulls-out-of-photokina-2020?utm_content=buffercac3e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer_dcwfb

Simply proving that if you quote cheaply enough...

I remember one year driving southwards back home to Spain, that we found ourselves parked, engine off, on the fast lane of the motorway there. Just the climate for a show and for preparing the punter to feel like buying!

Perhaps Germans being richer, they have already bought all the Leicas etc. that they need (I almost wrote want, but stopped myself just in time!).

;-)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1406 on: December 18, 2019, 02:01:03 pm »

So now Poland may have to leave the EU.  Why would Poles want to turn over their judiciary to EU gnomes? 
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50828516

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1408 on: December 19, 2019, 07:31:13 am »

So now Poland may have to leave the EU.  Why would Poles want to turn over their judiciary to EU gnomes? 
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50828516

Careful Alan, or Slobodan will report you to the Moderator for not summarizing the linked article.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rob C

« Reply #1409 on: December 19, 2019, 10:12:39 am »

When govt. starts to control the judiciary you should book your ticket and flee.

There could be no better, final way to rubber-stamp any dictatorship than by it buying the judges.

Guard the impartiality and concentration upon law (and the validity of new ones) in your Supreme Courts! It's your final guarantee of some freedoms. Muzzle those guys and gals and you have lost the battle for freeedom, and it sure is a battle.

Keep the eye upon our Boris (doesn't that sound a bitty soviet somehow? More so than Jeremy and Corbyn do?); no sooner does he win his election than he starts to alter the Brexit Deal parameters yet again. Now, there's this new attempt to crush the trade negotiations we have to do into a year. I suspect he knows perfectly well that can't be achieved properly, and so he will be able to rise from the table in fully puffed up shirt and leave, doing what that handful of nutters in the extreme inner circle of the Tory party wanted all along: exit with no deal whatsoever.

After he won that election the pound shot up; immediately he started to talk about his proposed new law, it plummeted again. So much for hoping to have a better pension payment this month. Bastard.

As I wrote before, he got turkeys to vote for Christmas, but beware when the results eventually come home to roost in the closing car factories, and those well-cooked turkeys suddenly find themselves truly stuffed - and on the dole.

Rob

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1410 on: December 19, 2019, 10:48:52 am »

Careful Alan, or Slobodan will report you to the Moderator for not summarizing the linked article.
I did sum it up.  It's about the Poles leaving the EU because their judiciary will refuse to follow the legal mandates of the EU.  Why would the people of any country want foreigners to decide what laws they have to live under? 

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1411 on: December 19, 2019, 03:49:57 pm »

I did sum it up.  It's about the Poles leaving the EU because their judiciary will refuse to follow the legal mandates of the EU.  Why would the people of any country want foreigners to decide what laws they have to live under?
I am sure all states in the US have to follow some basic legal mandates... Like freedom of speech to name one.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Manoli

« Reply #1412 on: December 19, 2019, 04:18:43 pm »

I did sum it up.  It's about the Poles leaving the EU because their judiciary will refuse to follow the legal mandates of the EU.

No. The EC refered Poland to the ECJ to protect judges from political control

On 3 April 2019, the Commission launched this infringement procedure on the grounds that the new disciplinary regime undermines the judicial independence of Polish judges and does not ensure the necessary guarantees to protect judges from political control, as required by the Court of Justice of the EU.

Specifically, the Polish law allows ordinary court judges to be subjected to disciplinary investigations, procedures and sanctions on the basis of the content of their judicial decisions, [...]  Moreover, the new disciplinary regime does not guarantee the independence and impartiality of the Disciplinary Chamber of the Supreme Court, which is composed solely of judges selected by the National Council for the Judiciary, which is itself politically appointed by the Polish Parliament (Sejm).

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_19_6033

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1413 on: December 19, 2019, 04:18:58 pm »

I am sure all states in the US have to follow some basic legal mandates... Like freedom of speech to name one.

Are you seriously comparing a proper federation like the US with a mishmash of wildly different countries that the EU is!?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1414 on: December 19, 2019, 08:15:16 pm »

Indeed. It apparently is difficult for some in the USA to realise that the "separation of powers" doctrine is a product of "the Enlightenment", and not an invention by the Founding Fathers of the United States.

"The Enlightenment" was a European intellectual movement of the late 17th and 18th centuries emphasizing reason and individualism rather than tradition. It was heavily influenced by 17th-century philosophers such as Descartes, Locke, and Newton, and its prominent figures included Kant, Goethe, Voltaire, Rousseau, and Adam Smith.

"Separation of powers" is a doctrine of constitutional law under which the three branches of government (executive, legislative, and judicial) are kept separate. This is also known as the system of checks and balances, because each branch is given certain powers so as to check and balance the other branches

That's why the separation of powers is such a fundamental part of the European way of organizing society. The Polish government is trying to replace the impartial Judicial by a State-controlled farce. It's hard to imagine why someone from the USA would not see how wrong that is, unless they don't like the USA constitution.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1415 on: December 20, 2019, 02:49:27 am »

... It's hard to imagine why someone from the USA would not see how wrong that is...

Perhaps because manny judges are politically appointed, all the way up to the SCOTUS.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1416 on: December 20, 2019, 02:55:10 am »

Even if so, and even if it is perhaps wrong, why wouldn’t Poland, or any other country, have any political and judicial system they want?

Manoli

« Reply #1417 on: December 20, 2019, 03:38:00 am »

Even if so, and even if it is perhaps wrong, why wouldn’t Poland ... have any political and judicial system they want?

Define 'they'. (Hint: Lech Walesa might mean something to you)

Manoli

« Reply #1418 on: December 20, 2019, 03:46:56 am »

Perhaps because manny judges are politically appointed, all the way up to the SCOTUS.

In her valedictory remarks, Lady Hale, who delivered the explosive verdict of the Supreme Court that Mr Johnson's suspension of parliament was unlawful, said: “Judges have not been appointed for party political reasons in this country since at least the Second World War.

“We do not want to turn into the Supreme Court of the United States, whether in powers, or in process of appointments.”

Stressing the apolitical nature of the court, she continued: “We [Supreme Court justices] do not know one another’s political opinions, although occasionally we may have a good guess and long may that remain so.”

As it stands, judges on the UK’s highest court are appointed by the Queen on the advice of the prime minister, who is legally obliged to the decision made by senior judges.
--

In the immediate aftermath of the unanimous Supreme Court ruling on the prorogation of parliament, the attorney general, Geoffrey Cox, said there could be time for “parliamentary scrutiny” of judicial appointments. Just days later he was forced to say the government had no “current plans” to do so, and insisted US-style hearings “would be a regrettable step for us in our constitutional arrangements”.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 03:50:39 am by Manoli »

Rob C

« Reply #1419 on: December 20, 2019, 05:05:31 am »

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 75   Go Up