Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro 1000 Color Management Question  (Read 890 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Canon Pro 1000 Color Management Question
« on: April 05, 2019, 09:27:57 pm »

I finally got a neighbor to help hoist my new Pro 1000 up on the printer table yesterday and am in the process of doing a bunch of profiles.  I find the Canon user manual not nearly as helpful as the old Epson 3880 and it's Internet based so there is lots of going back and forth.  I know how to turn color management off in the settings but is there any way to keep it off?  The Epson print driver was much more intuitive and one could set paper presets without needing an extra piece of software.  I have not yet used the Canon Media Configuration Tool but from what I've read in the manual you specify an ICC profile for the 3rd party paper you are setting up.  Since I print from LR, I specify that profile in LR and wonder if there is now in issue if you set up a configured media with a linked profile to it.  Of the papers that I've been using there are only two media settings that I need to use right now so it's not as big a deal to set things manually but I would like to automate things as much as possible.  I just want to make sure color management is always off ;)

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Re: Canon Pro 1000 Color Management Question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 04:26:44 am »

I finally got a neighbor to help hoist my new Pro 1000 up on the printer table yesterday and am in the process of doing a bunch of profiles.  I find the Canon user manual not nearly as helpful as the old Epson 3880 and it's Internet based so there is lots of going back and forth.  I know how to turn color management off in the settings but is there any way to keep it off? 

Alan,
Option 1: In the Printer Driver in the "Quick Setup" tab make presets in the "Commonly used settings".
Option 2: When you print from LR the best method IMO is to store everything in a Template.

I have not yet used the Canon Media Configuration Tool but from what I've read in the manual you specify an ICC profile for the 3rd party paper you are setting up.  Since I print from LR, I specify that profile in LR and wonder if there is now in issue if you set up a configured media with a linked profile to it.  Of the papers that I've been using there are only two media settings that I need to use right now so it's not as big a deal to set things manually but I would like to automate things as much as possible.  I just want to make sure color management is always off ;)

In the Media Configuration Tool when you create a custom media type is not necessary to link an icc profile.
This option exists for the case you are printing from an application (e.g. the Canon plug ins) where in the color profile selection field there is an "Auto" option. In this case all you have to choose is the media type and "Auto" for the icc profile, then the application uses the linked icc profile.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 04:33:25 am by Panagiotis »

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 06:53:33 am »

Panagiotis,

Many thanks.  The on-line manual was not very clear about how to set things up in the driver.  It looks like almost all matte papers use the Highest density fine art setting (of course this one uses the most ink as well!!!!) and the gloss papers that I use will photo paper pro platinum other than Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.  I had printed out the first set of preconditioning profiles yesterday (two pages) and when I looked at them things didn't quite look right and of course I had not turned off color management in the print driver correctly.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 07:35:47 am »

Panagiotis,

Many thanks.  The on-line manual was not very clear about how to set things up in the driver.  It looks like almost all matte papers use the Highest density fine art setting (of course this one uses the most ink as well!!!!) and the gloss papers that I use will photo paper pro platinum other than Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.  I had printed out the first set of preconditioning profiles yesterday (two pages) and when I looked at them things didn't quite look right and of course I had not turned off color management in the print driver correctly.

To have an idea take a look at the major maker paper manufacturers recommendations.
Hehnemuhle uses Pro Platinum for PK and Highest Density Fine Art for MK papers.
Canson uses Pro Luster and Paper Plus Semi-gloss for PK and Highest Density Fine Art and Extra Heavyweight Fine Art Paper for MK.
For Ilford Gold Fibre Silk I believe Pro Platinum or Pro Luster will be a good choice.

EDIT: For Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and generally all PK papers I beleive that it is better to use the Overall setting for CO (chroma optimizer). This consumes more ink since it covers all the page but it is better for any potential gloss deferential.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:50:39 am by Panagiotis »

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 04:39:15 pm »

To have an idea take a look at the major maker paper manufacturers recommendations.
Hehnemuhle uses Pro Platinum for PK and Highest Density Fine Art for MK papers.
Canson uses Pro Luster and Paper Plus Semi-gloss for PK and Highest Density Fine Art and Extra Heavyweight Fine Art Paper for MK.
For Ilford Gold Fibre Silk I believe Pro Platinum or Pro Luster will be a good choice.

EDIT: For Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and generally all PK papers I beleive that it is better to use the Overall setting for CO (chroma optimizer). This consumes more ink since it covers all the page but it is better for any potential gloss deferential.
Thanks for the assistance!!  I did go to the manufacturers websites to get the settings. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up