Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Splitting Coffee Corner?  (Read 3186 times)

rabanito

Re: Splitting Coffee Corner?
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 03:44:14 am »

It's not going to happen. I see no benefit.

Jeremy

In case that  I understand this right:
All the way around, what's the benefit of discussing politics (or Religion or whatever) in a photographic forum
The danger is great that it would unnecessarily create antipathies, to say the least

And as for "well just don't read it", the only way to know that something written is rubbish is to read it (paraphrasing E.M.Forster)  ;)
An (American?) proverb states
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
One of my mottoes  :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 03:50:30 am by rabanito »

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 05:35:47 am »

In case that  I understand this right:
All the way around, 1. what's the benefit of discussing politics (or Religion or whatever) in a photographic forum
The danger is great that it would unnecessarily create antipathies, to say the least

And as for "well just don't read it", the only way to know that something written is rubbish is to read it (paraphrasing E.M.Forster)  ;)
An (American?) proverb states
2. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
One of my mottoes  :)

1.  There is no intention that it benefit nor not benefit photography.

The function of the Coffee Corner is the provision of a space - a tea or coffee shop? - where people with a common interest in photography (us) can also extend their conversation into other, broader, less narrow gulches (or dead ends) of life and its wondeful tapestry. How boring to think of one another as nothing but camera and computer geeks.

2.  It's not broke; what has perhaps been realised is that treating the wider membership as mono-dimensional idiots perhaps of itself constitutes a bit of a danger of creating some break. We live in very interesting political times, and not having the space here, chez nous, as it were, to throw ideas around and see how others we half-know feel, is very frustrating.

If you look at the history of the CC you find all sorts of topics; it's simply that since the arrival upon the scene of the Orange One, his disruptive presence on the world stage has thrown everything else into third place except for the Brits, where Brexit promises to be just as cataclysmic an event within a smaller context.

In the end, the choice of reading or not reading something that you may or may not like is a better option than censorship.

Rob

rabanito

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 06:07:07 am »

1.  There is no intention that it benefit nor not benefit photography.

The function of the Coffee Corner is the provision of a space - a tea or coffee shop? - where people with a common interest in photography (us) can also extend their conversation into other, broader, less narrow gulches (or dead ends) of life and its wondeful tapestry. How boring to think of one another as nothing but camera and computer geeks.

2.  It's not broke; what has perhaps been realised is that treating the wider membership as mono-dimensional idiots perhaps of itself constitutes a bit of a danger of creating some break. We live in very interesting political times, and not having the space here, chez nous, as it were, to throw ideas around and see how others we half-know feel, is very frustrating.

If you look at the history of the CC you find all sorts of topics; it's simply that since the arrival upon the scene of the Orange One, his disruptive presence on the world stage has thrown everything else into third place except for the Brits, where Brexit promises to be just as cataclysmic an event within a smaller context.

In the end, the choice of reading or not reading something that you may or may not like is a better option than censorship.

Rob
1. While you have a case there, it is unjust to assume one looks at photographers as being "nothing but camera and computer geeks." Nothing farther from the truth.
Just look at the pictures they publish
Of course we interact with their "personas" or nicks, but that is also how it is in real life.

2. Actually I am not advocating censorship but the making it easier to avoid clicking on politics if you're not interested in the subject or the opinions of the others (see my original posting).
Just as I don't look into "For Sale" or "Pro Business Discussion".

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2019, 07:20:12 am »

Now the politics are back we might as well leave things as they are. There's precious little else that's getting clicks on LuLa.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2019, 09:37:42 am »

...Just as I don't look into "For Sale" or "Pro Business Discussion".

Great! Add the Coffee Corner to that list.

Two23

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2019, 11:19:20 am »

Just as I don't look into "For Sale" or "Pro Business Discussion".

The "for sale" forum is one of the most interesting for me!  I've bought several things there and have sold a couple.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

rabanito

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2019, 11:51:46 am »

The "for sale" forum is one of the most interesting for me!  I've bought several things there and have sold a couple.

Kent in SD

Of course. If I'd live in the US I would too.
But that's not the point, is it?

rabanito

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2019, 12:04:43 pm »

Great! Add the Coffee Corner to that list.

Hmmm...
OK Slobodan. I'll try harder.
But this time pay more attention, yes?
Look:
Open "For Sale", you expect to find items for sale. right?
YES
Open "Pro Business Discussion" You expect some Pro Businesss Discussion. Right?
YES
But now you open "Coffee Corner" You expect to find coffee there Yes?
WRONG
There you find some items related and unrelated to photography, philosophy, whatever, all mixed up.
Among them it is politics.
Some members aren't interested in politics so they would REALLY  like to avoid wasting time opening those topics.

One could use a filter like in LR. Just for example:

If "topic" doesn't contain "politics" then OPEN else IGNORE
Looks easier to me than Colour Management  :)

Get it now?

Hope this helps  8)

faberryman

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2019, 12:13:52 pm »

The only reason to re-enable political discussion is to increase posting. Is LuLa dying on the vine? Why not a wine forum, a car forum, a woodworking forum, a fill in the blank forum? It does nothing for the core mission of LuLa. It simply dilutes the content.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2019, 12:15:28 pm »

Mis-reading the thread title as "Spitting Coffee Corner", I thought we were getting a new, even funnier humour thread.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2019, 12:23:34 pm »

... Some members aren't interested in politics so they would REALLY  like to avoid wasting time opening those topics...

Then do not open those topics.

A reasonably intelligent reader can deduct what the topic is about from its title. A hint for the reason-challenged: if it contains the following words in the title, something tells me it might be political: Trump, Mueller, AOC, Climate Change, Global Warming, Guns, Brexit, etc.

rabanito

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2019, 12:39:52 pm »

Then do not open those topics.

A reasonably intelligent reader can deduct what the topic is about from its title. A hint for the reason-challenged: if it contains the following words in the title, something tells me it might be political: Trump, Mueller, AOC, Climate Change, Global Warming, Guns, Brexit, etc.
Slobodan...
Of course you are right.
But:
Have you seen those filters in, say, LR?

You don't want to scan visually your, say, 50'000 pictures until you find what you need.
You filter.
5 stars, Pick-Flag, Label Yellow, Text Contains "Rabanito", Date 2019...etc etc.
Thats how data banks make life easier
Try it.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2019, 12:48:02 pm »

But now you open "Coffee Corner" You expect to find coffee there Yes?

No: "A forum for discussion of topics of a general nature, ideally related to photography."

Jeremy

rabanito

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2019, 12:57:32 pm »

No: "A forum for discussion of topics of a general nature, ideally related to photography."

Jeremy

Exactly

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2019, 01:57:59 pm »

Exactly

Man! You made your point. Like, hundred times. Members said “no.” The moderator said “no.” Move on!

rabanito

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2019, 02:16:32 pm »

Man! You made your point. Like, hundred times. Members said “no.” The moderator said “no.” Move on!

But of course, Slobodan. Watch your blood pressure.
I was just trying to explain you things I thought you didn't understand.
Out of courtesy, nothing else.  8)

jeremyrh

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2019, 03:47:27 pm »

You read something like
"Super picture of NZ PM "
You go there, open the link and what do you find?
No super picture there IMHO
I call that misleading. I wasted my clicks  ;D

True enough, my mistake. The ability to read is not enough. One must also have the ability to think.

rabanito

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2019, 03:49:39 pm »

True enough, my mistake. The ability to read is not enough. One must also have the ability to think.

Go on trying. Miracles happen  :)

jeremyrh

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2019, 05:24:04 pm »

Go on trying. Miracles happen  :)

You still here? Not exhausted from all that pointless clicking?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up