Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jaws of Spring  (Read 480 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Jaws of Spring
« on: April 03, 2019, 03:36:17 pm »

Out for a photo walk recently I found some interesting forms in the receding ice. It all broke up on the river over the past couple of weeks, leaving bergs and slabs here and there and opening the main channel up after its long winter hibernation.
I really like ice as a photo subject. It's dynamic for being a solid and the way it carries light can be something almost magical.

-MattB

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Re: Jaws of Spring
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 12:03:40 am »

Matt, I think you've got an excellent idea here. But the composition isn't complete. Meaning, I've seen this done countless times successfully; some of the best landscapers on the planet use this type of comp - foreground with icicles. Near, and mid ground seems fine, but missing a good subject. You could throw in a sunstar to make it more compelling, but I think what it really needs it something on the horizon that completes the scene - a gnarly tree, peak, some birds flying in a V... just something to give it edge.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Jaws of Spring
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 11:08:06 am »

Matt, I think you've got an excellent idea here. But the composition isn't complete. Meaning, I've seen this done countless times successfully; some of the best landscapers on the planet use this type of comp - foreground with icicles. Near, and mid ground seems fine, but missing a good subject. You could throw in a sunstar to make it more compelling, but I think what it really needs it something on the horizon that completes the scene - a gnarly tree, peak, some birds flying in a V... just something to give it edge.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the icicles would be the subject or maybe in the first, the jaws shapes of the ice slabs coming together. I agree additional elements might have made these better but I was working with what I had which didn't include any of those things.
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up