Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lafitte Skiff at Isle de Jean Charles  (Read 699 times)

RMW

Lafitte Skiff at Isle de Jean Charles
« on: April 01, 2019, 07:47:54 pm »

This is a traditional local design for shrimping and fishing. I'm guessing the family who worked it has moved away.
Sad to see.
Richard

OmerV

• Photographs
Re: Lafitte Skiff at Isle de Jean Charles
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 08:04:23 pm »

I left Louisiana 35 years ago, but it’s still in me. Wonderful image.

RMW

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 09:02:49 pm »

Thanks Omer.
Just saw your fotos on Flicker. Very arresting !
Richard

Mark Nadler

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 09:33:17 pm »

Nice image

mark

RMW

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 11:49:34 pm »

Thanks Mark.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 08:56:53 am »

Nice Richard
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 01:11:23 pm »

This is a traditional local design for shrimping and fishing. I'm guessing the family who worked it has moved away.
Sad to see.
Richard

Hello Richard, good shot and very good colours. Might I suggest cutting a bit of the foreground water, maybe with a 16:9 crop or something like that? I think it would "concentrate" the composition making it much stronger - just my .02 of course. Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

RMW

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 07:22:02 pm »

Thanks Brandtb.

Thanks Vieri.

About a 16-9 crop: I tried coming in closer and it does afford a better vantage point. My concern is, and I warn you this is a concern maybe too off topic to LuLA, is coming closer intrusive? I want this to be both something of an account and a memorial to a family's heritage- their tradition on the water, how they put seafood on their table and a few dollars in their pocket from the local seafood wholesaler.
How does this seem to you? Is a greater distance from the old, sinking boat a means to be more respectful ? Or not?
Thanks.
Richard

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 07:55:53 pm »

Is a greater distance from the old, sinking boat a means to be more respectful ?

One way to show respect is to make the best image you can. I like Vieri's suggestion. Good image.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 02:50:50 am »

Thanks Brandtb.

Thanks Vieri.

About a 16-9 crop: I tried coming in closer and it does afford a better vantage point. My concern is, and I warn you this is a concern maybe too off topic to LuLA, is coming closer intrusive? I want this to be both something of an account and a memorial to a family's heritage- their tradition on the water, how they put seafood on their table and a few dollars in their pocket from the local seafood wholesaler.
How does this seem to you? Is a greater distance from the old, sinking boat a means to be more respectful ? Or not?
Thanks.
Richard

One way to show respect is to make the best image you can. I like Vieri's suggestion. Good image.

Hello Richard,

I see your concern, even though in a way that concern alone would take the photo out of the Landscape section to put it into the "Documentary" category (I hope that makes sense). That aside, I like sdwilsonsct point: as photographers, a great way (one of the best ways) to show respect to our subject matters, is to do our best to make the best image we can, the one that tells our intended story and conveys our intended message in the strongest possible way. This is true in general, for landscape photography or any other kind. Generally, I think that your concern about being intrusive is more of an issue when shooting street with actual people (Bruce Gilden seems to have solved all his qualms about that one!): in that case, you are entering their personal, "physical" space, and that is always to be done delicately and respectfully IMHO. Here, you are entering some "space of the mind", to create an image that tells a story and - honestly - a story that might be clear to you, since you know it, but to me (as probably to the most of us) this is just a sunk boat, could be any boat, a boat that put food on the table as well as a boat that has never been used for such purpose: nothing in the image suggests either. As such, I don't see any problem with intruding in someone's space; in fact, now that you told us the story, I see the opposite problem, which is that I don't see anything that points me to any story of the kind  you told us with words. Perhaps getting closer would have revealed some more details that helped us understand the story without the need for you to tell it verbally? Personally, when I create an image I always have something in mind when I start working on it (both in the field and in post), and when the image is done I ask myself "did it succeed telling what I had in mind?", I ask myself if there is everything needed to understand the idea, nothing less but also nothing more, nothing distracting or superfluous, and so on.

Hope this makes sense. Best regards,

Vieri

Vieri Bottazzini

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 07:54:04 am »

Richard - will pm you later today /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

RMW

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 02:06:14 pm »

Vieri.
Thank you for explaining your approach in such clear completeness. I think I get what you're after. And I can see by the rich and expressive fotos you put up on LuLa that you succeed- very much.
There's one concern I still carry. Do you think landscape photography and documentary photography must be two distinct endeavors?
I'm trying to combine the two. I guess S. Salgado is the best example of how the two might, for me, usefully merge.
Look forward to seeing more of your work.
Richard

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 05:04:01 pm »

Vieri.
Thank you for explaining your approach in such clear completeness. I think I get what you're after. And I can see by the rich and expressive fotos you put up on LuLa that you succeed- very much.
There's one concern I still carry. Do you think landscape photography and documentary photography must be two distinct endeavors?
I'm trying to combine the two. I guess S. Salgado is the best example of how the two might, for me, usefully merge.
Look forward to seeing more of your work.
Richard

Hello Richard,

you are welcome, I am glad you found my post useful :) and thank you for your kind words about my work, much appreciated.

About the classification of photography, I never paid much mind to that - the rest of the world does, though, or at least might. This might be a concern, since while we have the choice to just do what we like and do with our images as we please, if we want to take part in competitions / send a portfolio / post on forums / etc etc then we'll have to sort of take the categorisation into account.

I.e., the kind of photography I do gets called Fine Art Landscape Photography; perhaps due to my past as a classical music concert artist, I tend to refrain from the "art" word and rather see myself as an interpreter instead, see here for more: https://vieribottazzini.com/about-vieri-bottazzini: if it was up to me, I would call it "interpretative landscape" or something along that line...

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

RMW

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 06:08:09 pm »

Vieri.
Thank you again for your generous comments. I, too, find categories something of a necessary evil. The description of your work as interpretive sounds very fitting.
Just took a look at your website. Very fine ! (And I signed up.)
Best.
Richard

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 11:49:39 am »

Vieri.
Thank you again for your generous comments. I, too, find categories something of a necessary evil. The description of your work as interpretive sounds very fitting.
Just took a look at your website. Very fine ! (And I signed up.)
Best.
Richard

Hello Richard,

thank you for your kind words about my work and for signing up for my Newsletter, hope you'll enjoy it :) Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Pages: [1]   Go Up