Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about double sided adhesive film for print mounting  (Read 1862 times)

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography

Hi.
I want to mount 24 inch wide prints onto foamcore. I'm not too worried about archival properties, but it would be nice if it stuck strongly for a few years.
Anyone have experience with Grafix Double Tack Mounting Film vs 3M Double Sided Self Stick Mounting Roll?
The 3M comes in a roll which makes it easier to ship here, but I get the impression that it will be easier to apply a print to the Graphix and it has a stronger bond.
Comment appreciated.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: A question about double sided adhesive film for print mounting
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 05:23:22 am »

Way more important then the adhesive is the substrate. Foamboard is ok for the smaller mounts but anything 12x18 and larger I would use gatorboard. We stopped used foamboard years ago due to it having no durability. A little tap with a knuckle and you have a dent. If you must use foamboard then just buy the boards with adhesive installed. You will save a ton of work. We have moved to gatorboard for all sizes big and small with Seals print mount ultra for paper prints a great adhesive. Miracle Muck wet mount for canvas.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 07:24:45 am by dgberg »

mearussi

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 04:10:56 pm »

Hi.
I want to mount 24 inch wide prints onto foamcore. I'm not too worried about archival properties, but it would be nice if it stuck strongly for a few years.
Anyone have experience with Grafix Double Tack Mounting Film vs 3M Double Sided Self Stick Mounting Roll?
The 3M comes in a roll which makes it easier to ship here, but I get the impression that it will be easier to apply a print to the Graphix and it has a stronger bond.
Comment appreciated.
I use the 3M product, though with acrylic instead of foamcore, and it so far has lasted several years (which is when I first started using it). But it is fussy to use and rather goopy, like rubber cement, when you touch it. I apply it initially with the supplied Brayer and then run it through one of those cheap Chinese 25" manual rollers to further help stick it to the backboard. Then the paper backing has to be peeled very slowly or the adhesive will stick to it. I then carefully apply the print, put paper over it and first use the Brayer and then the roller to adhere the print to the backboard.

All this may seem like a lot of work but after much experimentation this is the best method I've found to ensure that the print sticks to the acrylic over a long time.

BTW, never use foamboard for anything important. It readily absorbs water and can warp badly. 

David Sutton

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 06:01:16 pm »

Than you both for your replies. I'm probably stuck with foamboard for this project as I'm exhibiting borderless and I want a black edge. White 10mm Gatorboard is available in NZ, but I would need to paint the edge black with the print attached. Not impossible but another opportunity to mess up.
I propose to glue a second sheet behind the print, maybe 3 cm in, to float the print off the wall, and I'm hoping 2 sheets of 10mm foamboard glued together will reduce the risks of warping.
The edges will be ultra prone to denting, but that can't be helped.
Dan, I have located boards with the adhesive installed. Thanks for that suggestion.

dgberg

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 06:08:47 pm »

Gatorboard is also available in black for your next project.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 09:32:00 pm »

Dan, since you're a big Gator user, do you mind sharing your source?  Mine has dried up.

dgberg

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 07:55:35 am »

I am in Pa. and purchase from Harbor Sales in Suddlersville, Md.
They deliver to my area twice a week at no additional charge.
I cut my own but they have a very inexpensive cutting service.
If you are out of the area and need several sheets cut into smaller sizes they will accommodate you.

Rainforestman

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 07:42:01 am »

Hi David,

Further to the Gatorboard recommendation by Dan, there is Kappa Mount as a great stiff substrate.  It’s available in Australia, so it maybe available across the ditch in NZ.  https://www.hvggraphics.com.au/store/product/787/kaparegmount-.html

I’ve found mounting onto foam board a bit problematic when humidity changes.  There can be differential contraction/expansion between the print and foamboard due to humidity that leads to the curling of the foamboard mounted print.

Another substrate to consider is Dibond.

Good luck with it all.
Phase One IQ380.

David Sutton

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 10:32:06 pm »

Hi David,

Further to the Gatorboard recommendation by Dan, there is Kappa Mount as a great stiff substrate.  It’s available in Australia, so it maybe available across the ditch in NZ.  https://www.hvggraphics.com.au/store/product/787/kaparegmount-.html

I’ve found mounting onto foam board a bit problematic when humidity changes.  There can be differential contraction/expansion between the print and foamboard due to humidity that leads to the curling of the foamboard mounted print.

Another substrate to consider is Dibond.

Good luck with it all.

Hi Rainforestman.
Thanks for that link. Yes, it is available here. I'll check it out for future use.
I've been reluctant to import black gatorboard or similar, as it's hard enough to get stuff sent by courier within the country without damaging it, let alone internationally.
I've not gone to aluminium composite because of the cost, and the edge. I want a plain black edge, preferably without having to paint it.
I've bought self adhesive black foamcore. It can definitely give problems with humidity, but I've realised that I can use any material to float it off the wall, as whatever I use will be at least 3cm in from the foamcore edge. I could paint that edge black if need be, and it won't matter too much what it looks like as it will be out of sight.
I'm hoping that some of the alternatives I've looked at will be firm enough to be used as the float to hold the foamcore rigidly. Any sort of board about 10mm thick will do if it's not too heavy.
I can use the left over foamcore to glue a strip to the top and to the bottom of the back. The top one I'll bevel at 45 degrees along the base and pin a matching bevelled strip to the wall. The print should sit firmly on this.

Edit: I was talking about this the other day with someone experienced in curating exhibitions, and he pointed out that if the board used for the float has a different density, the whole thing may "pop" out in the middle. Just a heads up.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:55:08 pm by David Sutton »

Frodo

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 11:42:58 pm »

Hi David
We may have corresponded on a similar topic previously.
I mount prints onto MDF that has been painted with undercoat and routered edges painted black.  The print is mounted using Scotch PMA 568 adhesive.  I find this works well and gives way more adjustablility than adhesive sprays.  So I cut my prints to one-millimeter accuracy and then mount on the precut and painted board.  I then spray with Crystal Clear.  The blue plastic squeegee provided works much better than a roller Brayer, which simply doesn't provide enough pressure.  You do need to use the provided protective sheet.
There is one proviso.  Prints on Epson Cold Press Natural are lifting at the edges.  The adhesive stays on the MDF, but lifts from the paper.  On the other hand, Ilford Smooth Pearl adheres fine - so far one year and counting.

Frodo

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 11:55:47 pm »

Here is a photo of a board I am currently mounting a print on.  This is 18mm MDF to mount a 1m by 30cm print.

David Sutton

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 05:59:32 pm »

Thanks Bob.
I'm staying away from spray adhesives for the print mounting. I've used them before and the fumes are nasty and a lot of care needed to keep the glue off the edges of the print.
I'll put the Scotch sheet adhesive on the list.

Frodo

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 03:22:11 am »

Hi David
The Scotch PMA 568 sheet adhesive is silly expensive in NZ. I bought some from B&H and with freight was half the NZ price. Photo of mounted print.

David Sutton

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 04:50:54 am »

Hi Bob.
Yes, I remember now we talked about this or something similar printer related a year or two ago.
In NZ Blueprint, Van Uffelen framing, Jenrite and Conservation supplies all have double sided film in sheets or rolls. But I'd rather go for something that has been recommended. So thanks for the advice.
BTW, I got the 10mm self adhesive foamcore through the Chch branch of Larson-Juhl.
Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up