Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color cast on print scan with a profiled Epson V800  (Read 3510 times)

BrianToth

Re: Color cast on print scan with a profiled Epson V800
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 06:07:32 pm »

Moreover, print scans have a blu/green cast that I'm able to correct with Silverfast Global CC, using the Cyan/red axis. This is non coherent with the scan of the target that shows a slight yellow tint.

But I have some prints made with Glossy Fujicolor Crystal Archive (same paper as the IT8 target) that match quite closely the scan.

So what's the problem? is the calibration "paper dependent"? Do different papers interacts differently with the scanner light? or the problem is just how I see the scans with my monitor? maybe I should calibrate the monitor to D50 for a closer match?

Maybe I was expecting to much from calibration, but I hoped to be able to have a nearly correct scan with no needs of major color correction after calibration.

I'm far from an expert on this topic, but I spent a lot of time last year asking many of these same questions when it came to using my V800 to try to reproduce old photos. Basically, yes, the scanner profiles are paper & ink dependent. My guess is that the type of LED lighting used in the scanner also makes the problem worse than it might be with some other light source. I wrote up my findings on scanner profiles here: https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=124117.40  Maybe the results will explain what you're seeing in your own profiles.

Doug Gray

Re: Color cast on print scan with a profiled Epson V800
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 09:38:48 pm »

For what it's worth, I get the best scans with matte paper with profiles made from prints on the same matte paper. With glossy paper I get good colorimetric scans for higher luminosity patches but the darker ones not so much. And that's after correcting for wide area crosstalk I have discussed and provided techniques for correcting. I have some evidence it is due to stray light reflectance that has a larger effect on darker patches. This is a bigger problem on glossy than matte.

I have been thinking of altering my targets so as to group low L* patches together. I think this may result in better profile performance and low L* but it's just speculation until I get around to testing it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up