Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-1000 (Started printing then stopped with file transmission error)  (Read 2063 times)

w7ptt

Hello all,

About three weeks ago I purchased a Canon Pro-1000 printer.  I LOVE this printer!!!

So far I have printed about 25 or so 17X22 prints (with a nice wide white border),and
about 30 13X19 prints (with a nice wide white border).  The printer has worked
beautifully until this morning.

I was printing a 17X22 inch print this morning and when it started printing, it printed
about a 1/4" or so worth of print then it stopped.  I had an error message that said
there was a communication error and to check my connection.  I am using a high
quality USB cable (new cable) and it has been working fine.

I then cancelled the print job, loaded a new sheet of paper, and sent the file to the printer again.
The same thing happened.  At this point I had wasted two sheets of 17X22 paper.

I am baffled as to why it stops printing.  The file gets sent over to the printer and starts printing.
Does the whole file not get sent over all at once?  From what I understand, the printer has a large
1 gig buffer.  My file is only 205 megs.  By the way I am using the manual feeder, so I am only
doing one sheet at a time.

After I turned the printer off, and turned it back on, and then sent the file over again, the printer
printed fine.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Bill

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

It's been quite a long time since I used this printer, but while I had it for testing and review it did not exhibit such a problem at all, nor have I heard of any printer-related defect that should interfere with spooling the print. It could be something at the computer end, or perhaps the length of cable you are using causing instability of communication. Epson has advised me that for their printers one should not use a USB cable longer than 10 feet. Perhaps the same applies to Canon, I don't know. Probably worthwhile contacting Canon tech support to discuss it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Garnick

It's been quite a long time since I used this printer, but while I had it for testing and review it did not exhibit such a problem at all, nor have I heard of any printer-related defect that should interfere with spooling the print. It could be something at the computer end, or perhaps the length of cable you are using causing instability of communication. Epson has advised me that for their printers one should not use a USB cable longer than 10 feet. Perhaps the same applies to Canon, I don't know. Probably worthwhile contacting Canon tech support to discuss it.

Hi Mark and Bill,

I've never used this printer, so obviously I have little to add to the conversation except the possible issue of USB Cable length.  For the past 9+ years I've been using a combination of three USB Extender Cables, sometimes referred to as Active Extender Cables.  Each cable is 5m in length, for a total of 15m, or 49.5 feet.  I used this cable combination to run an Epson SP-9900 for seven years and now the SC-P7000 for two years without any issues.  Of course the Canon printers may perhaps have different restrictions for cable lengths, but I have no knowledge of that.

Gary       
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

The advice I got from Epson for the Pro-5000 is two weeks old. We are talking USB2 of course - so many flavours of USB these days. All these printers I think are USB2 devices.

w7ptt

Hi Mark!,

By saying "Spooling" does that mean the printer does not get the file all in one chunk (it comes in bits an pieces over to the printer)?

I do know that my file is 205 megabytes, but the buffer in the Pro-1000 is 1 Gig.  I am printing one sheet at a time via the manual feeder.

Bill

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Spooling to the printer just means that the file gets transferred to the printer's temporary memory and loaded from there for the driver to start the printing process. A 200MB file should transfer over to the printer quite speedily, depending I suppose on your computer set-up. I don't know the internal detail of the transfer process. I send files of that size or other to the printer, and from the time I push Print till the printer carriage starts moving it can take 20 seconds or so depending on file size. I believe for both the newer Canon and Epson printers, files of this size should be fully transferred to the printer memory before printing starts, but this is the kind of thing best discussed with the technical support people who for sure should know what goes on under the hood.

Garnick

The advice I got from Epson for the Pro-5000 is two weeks old. We are talking USB2 of course - so many flavours of USB these days. All these printers I think are USB2 devices.

Yes, definitely USB-2 for any Epson printers I've used.  When I first installed the SP-9900 back in early 2010 I ran a couple of prints of varying file sizes with a 10' USB Cable and timed the lapse between pushing "Print" and the first activity at the printer.  I then did the same test with the same files after I installed the 49.5' Extender USB Cables and the difference in time lapse was about 3 seconds.  These Extenders really do work and never any issues in almost ten years of use.  I really do believe that the Cable length is not an issue if all parts are doing their job  Example, if you call Epson with a printer issue you will be asked two or three standard questions such as - are you using OEM inks?  Are you using outdated inks?  and then of course, if you are using a USB cable connection what is the cable length?.  There will of course be more questions to follow, but these seem to be the opening list every time, and of course cable length is in the top three in my experience.  If anyone is scepticle about the cable length being an issue, just try it with the proper cables I mentioned in my previous reply.  They've never let me down.

Gary

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print

I was printing a 17X22 inch print this morning and when it started printing, it printed
about a 1/4" or so worth of print then it stopped.

I had the same problem but the printer was connected through wifi. I change that to a wired network connection and the problem stopped.

James Clark

I had the same problem but the printer was connected through wifi. I change that to a wired network connection and the problem stopped.

I've also had the same problem. (Pro-10 though, not Pro-1000), but again on wifi, not via cable.  Reboot made the problem go away, though it recurs occasionally.

Skids

Bump,

I had similar problems with printing over USB-2 to a Pro10-s.  The solution was to disable the WiFi in the printer as it receiving interference from USB-3 cables and hubs i.e. in effect the USB-3 radiation was jamming the printer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up