Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't upgrade my Win 10 to v1809 (Oct, 2018)  (Read 1964 times)

walter.sk

Can't upgrade my Win 10 to v1809 (Oct, 2018)
« on: March 02, 2019, 08:37:09 pm »

I tried to use the LR Classic, v8.2 feature, Enhance Details, and got an error message saying I need to update my Win10 Pro version to the October 2018 version, 1809.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, on a quad core i7 930 CPU, with 12Gb RAM and an nVidia GTX 1060 with 6Gb graphics memory, and a 1Tb ssd for my C: drive.  My drivers are all the latest available. Checking for upgrades I get the message that I have the latest upgrade, which is v1803 rather than the 1809.  I went to the Microsoft website and found that Microsoft will not allow users to upgrade to the v1809 unless the installer's artificial intelligence determines that I would have a "pleasant experience" with the upgrade, and I could find no way to force the upgrade.  Nor does Microsoft give any information as to what would disqualify my computer from being able to get the upgrade.

If anybody knows how to get the update, I would appreciate it.  If not, what issues might prevent that particular upgrade?

degrub

Re: Can't upgrade my Win 10 to v1809 (Oct, 2018)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 09:05:05 pm »

I would start with Adobe. MS has changed the way they roll out updates. MS probably detected an issue for your system that has not been resolved yet. There may be a manual way to downlod and install the updates needed if you want to risk it. Either way, Adobe should be aware of what update or registry edit is needed and what is going on.

Make sure you have a full image clone of your drive and a working backup if you manually update andcannot roll back.

BTW, MS just started rolling out 1809 again last week.

jrsforums

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 09:29:36 pm »

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10ISO

Select the ‘October 2018’ download from drop down.  This is 1809
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 12:02:10 am by jrsforums »
John

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 11:47:45 pm »

As Degrub says, MS just very recently started (again) updating to 1809 after pausing to correct some problems.
My wife's Dell got updated a few days ago, but my desktop and our laptop haven't yet.
All three run Win 10 64 with ample memory.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

vjbelle

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 07:45:18 am »

You don't have to wait for an update.... You can check for updates manually and the newest version of Windows 10 should show up and you can update from there. 

Victor

Doug Fisher

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 11:44:00 am »

1809 has had its issues as others have mentioned here.  With that said, I have struggled over the past few years with Windows refusing to update on multiple machines when doing IT work for family members.  In the end, I have had to go in and delete the temporary file(s) Windows has already downloaded.  Then I went in to the Microsoft Update website (not via the update function within Windows) and manually invoked the update procedure there.  That has worked for me.

This is a common problem and Googling for it will reveal multiple websites and videos explaining how to do it.  Good luck.

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 12:51:51 pm »

I tried to use the LR Classic, v8.2 feature, Enhance Details, and got an error message saying I need to update my Win10 Pro version to the October 2018 version, 1809.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, on a quad core i7 930 CPU, with 12Gb RAM and an nVidia GTX 1060 with 6Gb graphics memory, and a 1Tb ssd for my C: drive.  My drivers are all the latest available. Checking for upgrades I get the message that I have the latest upgrade, which is v1803 rather than the 1809.  I went to the Microsoft website and found that Microsoft will not allow users to upgrade to the v1809 unless the installer's artificial intelligence determines that I would have a "pleasant experience" with the upgrade, and I could find no way to force the upgrade.  Nor does Microsoft give any information as to what would disqualify my computer from being able to get the upgrade.

If anybody knows how to get the update, I would appreciate it.  If not, what issues might prevent that particular upgrade?
A long shot but I note you have Pro edition, has anyone set up a delay to installing new versions of Windows in Group Policy Editor? Place to check is
Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Windows Components/Windows Update/Windows Update for Business
You need to check if any of the settings have been configured, in particular "Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received". For instance I have this set to delay installation of the six monthly Feature Update by 3 months but you can delay update for up to a year.

walter.sk

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 02:59:06 pm »

Thanks all, for the replies.  I think that I am going to clone my C drive, go to the MS website linked to in this thread, and try to manually do the upgrade.  If it doesn't work, I know that I can always go to the cloned drive.  I've done that successfully in the past.  Contacting Adobe is also a good idea.

jrsforums

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 03:58:09 pm »

Thanks all, for the replies.  I think that I am going to clone my C drive, go to the MS website linked to in this thread, and try to manually do the upgrade.  If it doesn't work, I know that I can always go to the cloned drive.  I've done that successfully in the past.  Contacting Adobe is also a good idea.

Cloning is, always, agood idea, but it worked cleanly for me on 3 systems.  Don’t forget to check for updates after installing 1809.  There will be quite a few, even if you seemed up to date before.

John
John

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 04:23:55 pm »

I'd suggest contacting MS as it's the OS that needs to be updated.  Like you and others my system was not showing a need for any update and I didn't know about the download link so I started a chat with an MS agent and he installed it for me. 

I would do a clone before though as you suggested.  I didn't realize he was going to do that (I thought he'd just show me how to get it) but it went OK.

degrub

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 08:06:19 am »

here is the process to manually force the update -

here is the link referred to below
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:40:50 am by degrub »

walter.sk

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 01:23:29 pm »

Thanks for the link.  John also provided it earlier.  I just finished cloning my C: drive, so here goes nothing!  I'll let folks know what happens.

walter.sk

Did it!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 03:16:56 pm »

It took about 2 hours, but the upgrade went smoothly.  The check that Windows did on my computer said my computer was sufficient to do the upgrade, so I don't understand why I had the problem in the first place.

I was now able to try LR's Enhance Details, which ran reasonably fast, but I was disappointed because I couldn't see much difference before and after.  I tried it on some hand held Oly OMD EM-1 mk II raw files, and compared to Topaz SharpenAI or AI Clear, which I have been playing with, Enhance Details seems kind of weak.  Sharpen AI, which appears to use an improved kind of deconvolution, does a much better job on the same images.  I just wish SharpenAI would work on RAW files.

Anyway, thanks again to the folks on Lu-La for coming once more to my rescue.  What a great forum!
Pages: [1]   Go Up