Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My friend Michael  (Read 3556 times)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
My friend Michael
« on: March 01, 2019, 02:27:57 pm »

Thanks for sharing that with us Chris, your memories and reflections about Michael.  Beautifully written ...

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
Re: My friend Michael
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 03:59:07 pm »

Superb.  This piece crystalizes that which many of us found so endearing about Michael and his work.  Thank you to Chris for sharing something so personal.  Thank you to Josh for being an able steward of Michaels legacy.

jim t

• jimtsioles photography
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 05:14:10 pm »

Very well said Chris.

The essay reminded me of why I started following Lula over 10 years ago. Michael had a great enthusiasm for this art which carried over throughout the site in the form of articles and videos. The idea of learning from passionate experts led to the reason why I had purchased "Camera to Print" and continued visiting. Jeff and Chris along with forum members made it a community that I felt I was a part of. This encouraged myself to contribute the essay, "Finding my Vision". Kevin also had the same enthusiasm but with a different style.

Overall, it is the sharing of knowledge in photography that Michael brought which was the most significant to me. These things got me excited to photograph.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 05:46:22 pm »

This was a superb testimonial Chris, and a perfect selection of photographs to accompany it. The very last sentence brings back memories of the China Workshop. We were in the Yellow Mountains. It was "de rigueur" to photograph the sunrise from a particular vantage point, that in his characteristic manner Michael had researched and preplanned. But there was very little space at the front of the lookout and huge numbers of tourists in the region, so to get there before the crowd - literally - we were awake at 3:30 in the morning, set-out for the site, got there at about 4 in the morning, took our standing room right behind the barrier at the edge of the cliff and wouldn't you know it, but about five minutes later flocks of tourists started arriving, quite taken aback that the best seats in the house had already been spoken for - by us. As usual, Michael knew what he was doing. So we waited, and we waited, and we waited - for a sunrise that never happened. The weather was socked-in. Overcast, drizzly, chilly. So in his characteristic fashion Michael finally announced - OK guys, win some, lose some, we tried and it's time to move on. This was Michael - grass didn't grow under his feet, no ruminating over the "could have been". Then was then and now is now - onward and upward. So positive and so constructive. Thanks for giving us this wonderful reminder.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 08:02:41 pm »

As others have said: "superb".  Thanks, Chris.

The next time I arise before dawn, I'll think of Michael and all that he shared with us.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 05:52:12 am »

A very interesting and well written article, penned straight from the heart.

Dave

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 08:25:47 am »

Wonderful article Chris. Thanks for sharing.

Krug

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 09:20:42 am »

I was fortunate enough to live in the same area as Michael did - when he was not off on his travels - and had some experience relevant to his final illness and got to know him slightly. What was so clear about him was that the private person and the public one were identical - the impressions of him drawn from years of reading Lula were no different from the actual person.

This beautifully phrased tribute to him expresses so much of that which impressed me most about him - the restless and hungry curiosity about so many topics, the rapid boredom with things of little interest to him, the huge generosity of time, experience and genuinely individual advice even to those whom he knew but casually and all without any expectation of anything in return other than matching interest and curiosity.

At our last meeting he had lunch with my wife and me and wandered into my work area where he sifted through some photographs - I remember with some shame and much joy particularly two things he said. As I had, mildly and not at length, criticized Kevin's work as being often over coloured he drew out one image and said 'what did you say about Kevin' but then pulled out another and merely said 'but that !'  The first comment shamed but the second I treasure.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 10:45:03 am »

Over ten years ago I submitted a short article with photos not expecting to hear anything back.  Of course now I see that my article was not really that good.  Michael did respond to me and in his rejection he was quite the gentleman.  Now that he is gone what happens to his work? 

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 11:04:46 am »

^ An effort including and going beyond the Endowment is underway to establish a space for viewing his work and safeguarding it for posterity.

If you are referring to his written work : It is here on this site for continued use and enjoyment. Part of our plan, which is underway as we speak, is to make the site’s search function more nimble and pointed.

Presenting future gallery shows of my dad’s work are a conversation also being had.

Thanks.
(And as always thanks to Chris. I heard this speech in person. I’m glad it was now shared with the community)

J

Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

ysengrain

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 11:43:54 am »

Thank you Chris for sharing your memories with Michael.
We miss him a lot.

johnnyc

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 07:41:01 am »

I never had the pleasure of meeting Michael but from his articles and videos, very soon came to see he was a very special person. A wonderful remembrance of him, Chris.
Pages: [1]   Go Up