Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holga question  (Read 1627 times)

Two23

Re: Holga question
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 12:35:10 am »

Math was never my good subject. :)

Since I shoot glass plates (ISO 2) with pre-Civil War lenses that have no shutter and often no aperture, it has forced me to pay attention to what I'm doing.  I often resort to counting out stops on my fingers!  :D

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 06:09:46 am »

The Holga was an effective solution to the cheap photo problem for many, it cost nothing, took recognizable portraits, at the time as the infrastructure existed in every teeny country at every corner shop to get BW developed and printed cheaply, and so fun could be had, assuming good daylight.  Polaroids were the US solution to the same problem, very high tech, color and *hugely expensive*. I was quite amazed when I saw my first Polaroid,. The original solution to this same problem was the Kodak box camera, and the Kodak Vest pocket. I used a vest pocket too - I still have it, but the quality was actually worse than the Holga which I guess was the original plastic fantastic. I guess the spirit of the thing lives on in the single-use party or tourist film camera, which someone on this forum will eventually also use as an art camera.

Edmund
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 06:19:32 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Telecaster

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 03:33:05 pm »

Math was never my good subject. :)

It was mine!  :o

-Dave- (a living exemplar of what cushy retirement can do to decades of finely honed skill)

Telecaster

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 03:47:41 pm »

My dad's photojournalist friend Ben got a Diana (predecessor to the Holga) as promotional swag at a European photo trade show in the 1960s. If I remember right he put a roll through it and then tossed it in the trash. He recounted this to me c. 2003 after spotting a Holga on my dad's coffee table. I'd attached a Polaroid back to it.  ;D

-Dave-
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up