Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Green tint in black and white prints  (Read 14172 times)

daveor

Green tint in black and white prints
« on: November 01, 2006, 05:39:08 pm »

I have a Canon i9900 using media street inks,, when I print black and white, I get a slight green tint, I called Inkjet goodies,, they suggested I post the question here,, anybody got a cure? Thanks,, DAve

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 06:07:24 pm »

Unwanted color casts in black & white inkjet prints are the curse of digital printing. There are a number of work-arounds developed to deal with this; you can search for threads on the subject here and elsewhere.
In a nutshell, the problem is that the color inkjet tries to simulate B&W using a mix of ink colors, since using only black ink leaves visible dots and abrupt tonal jumps. Color inks instead cause metamerism (color shifts with changes in ambient light) and color casts. Your use of a third-party inkset adds yet another variable to the problem. There are many solutions of varying complexity and cost.
1) Simplest: apply an adjustment layer to the image file in Photoshop that effectively cancels out the color cast in the print. Once you have this accurately dialed in, you can apply the same layer to any B&W image heading to your inkjet using the same paper & ink combination.
2) A bit more complex: try using Photoshop's duotone mode to deliberately tone the B&W image in a pleasing way
3) Use a third-party RIP (essentially a clever printer driver) that does good monochrome. Roy Harrington's Quadtone RIP is $50 shareware that does a beautiful job, with multiple toning options, for a wide range of printers and on a wide range of papers.
4) Use a printer that comes with a good native B&W mode, like Epson's 2400.
5) most complicated: install custom quad- or hex-tone monochrome inkset and driver in a printer you dedicate just to black & white. Piezography BW was the original; other versions are available from Mediastreet & Lyson. This can provide the best quality, but is often finicky, expensive and labor-intensive.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 06:10:36 pm by Geoff Wittig »

John Sheehy

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 12:11:15 am »

I have a Canon i9900 using media street inks,, when I print black and white, I get a slight green tint, I called Inkjet goodies,, they suggested I post the question here,, anybody got a cure? Thanks,, DAve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83295\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know if this is the same problem, but with my S9000, a lot of third-party "Photo" papers needed to be set to "Plain Paper", with the highest resolution and diffusion dither manually selected, otherwise blacks would be olive green, with a little beading up of the ink.

daveor

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 10:13:24 pm »

I don't know if this is the same problem, but with my S9000, a lot of third-party "Photo" papers needed to be set to "Plain Paper", with the highest resolution and diffusion dither manually selected, otherwise blacks would be olive green, with a little beading up of the ink.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83333\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
John
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU,, the diffusion is one thing I hadn't tried,,clicked on the diffusion and printed in gray scale,, came out nice. No more green tint, Now if I can just remember next time. LOL,

Thanks to you Geoff for your response too, I tried the layer thing but it didn't work. DAve

lonelyronin

Re: Green tint in black and white prints
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 11:23:05 am »

I was sure I was the only one with this problem  :)
John and or Dave - could you be more specific with the steps - I'm not sure where diffusion dither is.

Thanks for clearing up a long standing problem
Pages: [1]   Go Up