Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 7 vs Pentax 67? and Medium format film quesiton.  (Read 10929 times)

kevs

Re: Mamiya 7 vs Pentax 67? and Medium format film quesiton.
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2019, 09:53:06 pm »

Thanks, I assume, especially with their warnings at bottom that the is tons of visa, and taxes, and etc...
Now to ship back.. may cost a bit.
Also I do notice their rating can be spotty, but you say you have had good luck, so I'll register that too

And you buy from what other countries? good...
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Two23

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2019, 10:27:06 pm »

1. Thanks, I assume, especially with their warnings at bottom that the is tons of visa, and taxes, and etc...
2. Now to ship back.. may cost a bit.
3. Also I do notice their rating can be spotty, but you say you have had good luck, so I'll register that too

4.And you buy from what other countries? good...

1. They do that to cover their bases.  People from countries all over the world buy through ebay.  I'm sure they often get asked to falsify the price to get around paying their country's VAT tax or duty.
2.  Shipping looks like $35-45.
3.  I typically only buy from sellers with >97% good feedback.  Sellers who use ebay a lot generally bend over backwards to make buyers happy.  They know they will make more money with great feedback than they will if they rip a few people off.  Ebay will close their account if there's enough complaints.
4.  In just the past year I've bought camera gear from:  Slovokia, Japan, UK, Spain, Ukraine, Vietnam, Canada, Korea.  Mostly I've been buying 19th/early 20th century lenses.  I buy newer stuff from Japan & Korea, usually Nikon or Sigma.  Japan has a hoard of really great vintage Nikon stuff.  It's where I got my F3T and AiS lenses 28/50/105mm.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

kevs

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2019, 02:55:26 pm »

ok Kent, good info! I'll stop avoiding foreign countries. Apart from Japan, what others countries and no hidden fees beyond the shipping charge: no extra customs, or extraneous fees?

The $35 is an average fee to come to you? Have you returned anything abroad?

PS, Why did you buy Nikon FT3, what is your need for 35mm film?

Two23

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2019, 05:50:33 pm »

1. Apart from Japan, what others countries and no hidden fees beyond the shipping charge: no extra customs, or extraneous fees?

2. The $35 is an average fee to come to you? Have you returned anything abroad?

3. PS, Why did you buy Nikon FT3, what is your need for 35mm film?

1.  None.  The customs/VAT/etc. are charged by the country you live in.  These are mostly European countries.
2.  The $35 is simply the average shipping/postage from Japan.  I think it's usually $25 from Europe, more from Australia.  The only thing I've returned was a leg for my Gitzo 1325 tripod.  It was the wrong size and didn't fit.  Sent it back to UK with no problem.
3.  I collect and use camera gear from just about every decade since 1840.  Didn't have anything from the 1980s.  The F3T is very pretty!  Probably the best 35mm film camera ever made and a joy to shoot. :)

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

kevs

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2019, 06:49:40 pm »

Ah the F3! This was THE camera that pros were using when I was assisting in '88-90.  Was the hot camera at time, and expensive.
Then I remember the 4 coming out.

How much was the 3? Look like nice condition, near mint? From Japan?They sadly are still pricey compared to the F1 for example.  What is T mean? Why do you shoot  with 35 film though? I don't see point if you have the medium and large formats...

Two23

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2019, 10:46:05 pm »

1.How much was the 3?
2.Look like nice condition, near mint? From Japan?They sadly are still pricey compared to the F1 for example. 
3.What is T mean?
4.Why do you shoot  with 35 film though? I don't see point if you have the medium and large formats...

1. I think I paid $450 for it two years ago.
2. I couldn't find a mark on it, not even the tripod socket.  No marks even on the side where the camera strap swivels are.  Definitely from Japan!  No one else has Japnese cameras this clean.
3. T is for titanium.  It's a very tough metal and also lighter.  This is why the F3T sold for big bucks and still at a premium.  I love everything about this camera!
4.  I shoot everything.  I shoot a 1925 5x7 camera.  I shoot a 1905 Century Camera & 2010 Chamonix 4x5.  I shoot a 1904 Brownie, and a 1909 Brownie Panoram No.1.  I shoot an 1880s Watson & Son half plate.  I shoot a 1930 Baby Rolleiflex 4x4 and 1954 Rolleiflex 6x6.  I shoot a 1943 Leica IIIc and 1929 Ansco Meme 35mm half frame.  I just had a 35mm Voigtlander Vitessa (1950) restored.  And much, much more.  I shoot everything!  It's all fun. :)   I'm not at all hung up on "image quality" or I'd be shooting 11x14 or a Hassleblad with 100mp back.  I'm after the experience of using great cameras from every age, and the challenge.

Kent in SD

Attached, a few cameras.
miserere nobis.

kevs

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2019, 12:13:40 am »

Interesting Kirk, but the F3 I don't get because it's just normal clean 35mm film.. Do you get any looks out of it, you don't from other cameras?

Do you sell these cameras later, or you think you have that F3 for the duration? I love Nikon film cameras, best design look: Do you have F1, 2, or 4?

What about Honeywell spotmatic?  It was one of the hottest cameras in the 60's. Had the best metering, and looked cool as hell.

Two23

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2019, 09:59:34 am »

1. Interesting Kirk, but the F3 I don't get because it's just normal clean 35mm film.. Do you get any looks out of it, you don't from other cameras?

2.Do you sell these cameras later, or you think you have that F3 for the duration? I love Nikon film cameras, best design look: Do you have F1, 2, or 4?

3. What about Honeywell spotmatic?  It was one of the hottest cameras in the 60's. Had the best metering, and looked cool as hell.

1. Love the F3T--it's beautiful.  It's about the camera, not the film.  It's the only film camera I have that has a meter (or battery for that matter,) so I use it at night.  It's very smooth to operate, easy to carry, and it's a beautiful camera.  It's nice for street shooting.

2.  I sell them when I get tired of them and buy something else.  There are a few that are so nice I likely won't sell.  The Leica IIIc and the F3T are two of those.  Don't have any of the other film Nikons but have considered buying a Nikon SP.

3.  Not familiar with it.  Mostly I fall in love with the folding cameras from the 1920s.  Right now the two cameras I'm most likely to buy are something like a 1920s Kodak 2D 8x10 (or 11x14) and a Nikon D850.  Will also eventually buy a smaller 1860s tailboard camera to shoot wet plate.

Kent in SD
Attached:  from the F3T
miserere nobis.

kevs

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2019, 01:53:03 pm »

Thanks Kirk so for Nikon 3, a lot of is just the joy of having a work of art camera in front of you... being part of that..

What do you like about Leica IIIc, and why would Nikon SP be your next Nikon pick? I learn a bit here thanks!

Nikon 850 interesting you would drop 3k on that.. you see happy with the previous model....no?

Two23

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2019, 05:08:44 pm »

1. What do you like about Leica IIIc,
2.and why would Nikon SP be your next Nikon pick? I learn a bit here thanks!

3.Nikon 850 interesting you would drop 3k on that.. you see happy with the previous model....no?

1.  It's a historically significant camera.  The one I have was made in 1942 and I know the story behind it.  It was purchased by a German lieutenant.  He left it home when he was sent to the Russian front.  He never returned.  In 1947 his wife, badly needing money, sold the camera to an American sargeant in the quartermasters corps.  He returned to the U.S., went to college, and became an optometrist.  He was also into photography and had several cameras over the years.  He died about 2014, and his son sold the camera and 50mm lens on ebay.   To me.  The son said it was the last camera he still owned when he died.  He loved the camera and had his name engraved on the bottom.  I am the third owner.  I often wonder what photos this camera has taken.

2. Don't really want any of the other F series, especially something like the heavy F4.  Probably won't buy an SP--it's too modern, but if I did buy another Nikon film camera that would be the one.  It's small, easy to use, and looks cool.  It's a highly desirable camera.  I also like the Zeiss Ikon rangefinders.  More expensive than the SP though. :o

3. I will never spend $3,000 on a digital camera.  The value of them drops so quickly!  I wait a year and then buy a used one.  They are now hitting $2,500 and I'm waiting for them to hit $2,200. That's a thousand less than what they were selling for last summer.  Someone else can take that hit. :)  The D850 has the same AF as my D500.  I can sell my D500 for ~$1,000.  The D850 can also scan 35mm with an attachment.  I could then buy that and sell my Nikon Coolscan V 35mm scanner.  And sell my D800E for maybe $700.  I would come close to breaking even.  :)

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

kevs

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2019, 07:37:24 pm »

Thanks Kirk, interesting. I'm on the Canon 5D 2  for six years, and and itching to get the next best thing that comes up... next pro mirrorless  better than the new R or the 5D5 if they make it... I agree, but then I gotta another year for that 1k price drop! darn.. good idea.. think that over....

Yeah SP is very cool looking, would be nice to have. Looks at cool as most Leicas..There is an early Canon also that has that look.

Just took a peek at SP on ebay, darn, they cost more than the 850! Seriously, no bargains there...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up