Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: post processing in camera  (Read 569 times)

bwana

post processing in camera
« on: February 05, 2019, 10:08:48 am »

I realize I can tweak the way a jpeg is processed in camera, but I am looking for a nondestuctive way to make adkustments to an exposure that will carry over to editing on a pc- like an xmp sidecar file. The reason for this is not so much to start editing in the field, but to allow more accurate visualization of the final image. For example, If I want a gradient (like we used to do in the old days with grad filters) i could drag a gradient on the back lcd of the camera over the saved image while in 'play' mode. I might then see if I could get an image closer to the one I am 'pre-visualizing'. same with temperature, tint, contrast, dodge and burn. I think that a touch screen lcd on the camera back could do this intuitively. And although I can do better edits on apc back in the studio, it's hard to remember what was pre-eminent in my mind for a particular image when I was in the field. I realize I could keep a notebook but that is still sub-optimal. It's easier to talk about taking notes than actually taking notes.

The only way I can imagine doing this now is to have a laptop in the field, connected to a camera and then control the camera with nikon capture. But even then, the image cannot really be manipulated in real time with 'darkroom-like tools'. There must be a reason camera manufacturers dont do this and I guess it's because the lcd displays on the back of cameras are so limited. But then there are other even more useful things that are lacking in the field like a raw histogram (which I get around by leaving the jpeg postprocessing to super flat.)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: post processing in camera
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 12:35:06 pm »

Maybe Lightroom CC on a tablet? (not classic CC)  I don't use it myself but I think that's one of it's main uses, as well as then loading to the cloud.  The to-be-released Zeiss ZX1 is likely to do what you want as it's supposed to have LR CC loaded, but limited camera of course.
Pages: [1]   Go Up