Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One for Rob  (Read 726 times)

Cornfield

One for Rob
« on: February 02, 2019, 10:09:13 pm »

Street shot from Woodlands Road in Glasgow.

Ivophoto

Re: One for Rob
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 03:14:00 am »

Street shot from Woodlands Road in Glasgow.

Like!!

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 04:35:19 am »

Charing Cross used to be a kind of centre for that part of Glasgow - I worked for six months in a business called Studio Brett in Berkeley Street immediately prior to going solo - then came the motorways and flyovers, and everything looked quite different. I remember that at the corner of Woodlands Road there used to be an Aston Martin dealership and there was another one in Perth. I never saw one of those cars on the road in those days. And the streets were in better shape too, so safer to run one then than now! Last I remember, I think that car showroom became Elders, a furniture shop? There used to be a window in the area with a gigantic tarantula moving around now and then. Only in Glasgow would one think it an attraction. They say that where there's one there will always be two: as only one was on show, I'd never go into the lair shop.

Rob

Cornfield

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 04:54:59 am »

One coincidence about this shot is the girl is a good friend of my son.

Rob, that part of town has changed a lot.  I don't remember the Aston showroom.  There is a car showroom on the south side of the street close to Charing Cross.

Here is a link to a few of my Glasgow images http://bit.ly/glasgow_images  You'll recognise a few places.

I spend more time shooting stock/travel images around the world and not so much at home.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 07:22:30 am »

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 03:00:18 pm »

One coincidence about this shot is the girl is a good friend of my son.

Rob, that part of town has changed a lot.  I don't remember the Aston showroom.  There is a car showroom on the south side of the street close to Charing Cross.

Here is a link to a few of my Glasgow images http://bit.ly/glasgow_images  You'll recognise a few places.

I spend more time shooting stock/travel images around the world and not so much at home.

Thanks for the link!

Buchanan Street seems to be from another world; the only name I recognise is House of Fraser that used to be McDonalds; across the road was Fraser's, and for a while I shot for both of those HOF stores until the first one I worked for, McDonalds, told me I had to choose which one to keep. Guess they thought me their secret weapon... but at the time I felt myself being bullied by restrictive practices that felt quite wrong.

Even fifteen years ago, my last trip, I felt lost, with roads I knew well suddenly turned into one-ways or vanished. If I get back again in time, I think I would find it quite fascinating to wander around with a camera and new eyes.

Thank you for a most interesting link to the new world!

Rb
Pages: [1]   Go Up