Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Technical Camera help needed  (Read 1643 times)

Ghaag

Technical Camera help needed
« on: February 02, 2019, 07:44:41 pm »

I was hoping to get some insight regarding technical cameras.  I shoot primarily architectural and landscape, currently with Hasselblad H6D-100c.  Especially as it relates to architectural work, I think a technical camera may be a better solution.  I need something that is compatible with my Hasselblad back, and was wondering about ALPA 12 MAX.  Trying to sort thru what I need has been intimidating, any insights would be greatly appreciated.  Also, could anyone recommend someone you trust that deals in technical cameras.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

tcdeveau

Re: Technical Camera help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 09:11:57 pm »

If you’re interested in Alpa, I’d recommend contacting Steve Hendrix and his colleagues at Capture Integration (https://captureintegration.com). They are Alpa dealers and very trustworthy. Steve also is a forum member (full disclosure Capture Integration may be a forum sponsor). The new Alpa 12 Plus may also be a suitable option if you’re considering the MAX.

There’s also a lot of tech cam advice that can be found over at getdpi.com

Basically any of the tech cameras (Alpa, Cambo, Arca, linhof, etc)  are compatible with just about any back, including the H6D-100c. All you need is an H-mount back adapter in your case. With Alpa, at minimum, you will need an H-mount back adapter, the body, and a lens. Depending on the lens, you also may need a lens adapter, for example a short barrel 17 lens will require a 17mm lens adapter. There are additional accessories you can tack on as well depending upon your needs.

I would try to demo before buying if you can. Each manufacturer has strengths and weaknesses and tech cam choices are particularly subjective. Dealers can definitely help you out here.

The H6D-100c also does not have an integrated power source, so you will need an external power bank as well as a cord to connect the power bank to the back. I’d contact Hasselblad support and see what they recommend and get the power cable from them too, esp in case your back is still under warranty.
-Todd

Ghaag

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 09:26:59 pm »

If you’re interested in Alpa, I’d recommend contacting Steve Hendrix and his colleagues at Capture Integration (https://captureintegration.com). They are Alpa dealers and very trustworthy. Steve also is a forum member (full disclosure Capture Integration may be a forum sponsor). The new Alpa 12 Plus may also be a suitable option if you’re considering the MAX.

There’s also a lot of tech cam advice that can be found over at getdpi.com

Basically any of the tech cameras (Alpa, Cambo, Arca, linhof, etc)  are compatible with just about any back, including the H6D-100c. All you need is an H-mount back adapter in your case. With Alpa, at minimum, you will need an H-mount back adapter, the body, and a lens. Depending on the lens, you also may need a lens adapter, for example a short barrel 17 lens will require a 17mm lens adapter. There are additional accessories you can tack on as well depending upon your needs.

I would try to demo before buying if you can. Each manufacturer has strengths and weaknesses and tech cam choices are particularly subjective. Dealers can definitely help you out here.

The H6D-100c also does not have an integrated power source, so you will need an external power bank as well as a cord to connect the power bank to the back. I’d contact Hasselblad support and see what they recommend and get the power cable from them too, esp in case your back is still under warranty.
-Todd

Todd, thank you very much for your insight!  Do you know what the difference is between the Alpha 12 Max and the Plus?  Also, is there a different brand you would recommend?

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 10:32:16 pm »

The Alpa shift is done in two ways: a release, which allows for sliding in the direction (up to say 20mm, varies by model), with detents often at 0mm shift, and sometimes elsewhere. There is a little brass tong which locks the shift in place where you want it - you just slide the tong, works well.

The other shift is geared and there is a small turn wheel to do fine adjustments.

In short, the Max has geared shift (and the release too) in the vertical direction, but only the release in the horizontal. The Plus has geared and release in both directions.

The Max is taller than wide; the Plus is more like two STC platforms put at 90º to each other - its square (a bit smaller than the Max).
Geoff

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 02:51:20 am »

I would look at Alpa, Arca Swiss and Cambo.

All three systems are great and have pro and cons.

I personally shoot with Arca and love my cameras. Great fun to work with and would choose them again.

However, all three systems work very well. Alpa is probably the most expensive one and has the most “tech” options. ( focal shutter, digital lens boards) Cambo is the “cheapest” entry, but their cameras are by no mean bad.

As stated in another thread you might want to hold of a little until we see what phase one is doing and if there is any truth to the rumor about their tech cam solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Ghaag

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 08:41:06 am »

The Alpa shift is done in two ways: a release, which allows for sliding in the direction (up to say 20mm, varies by model), with detents often at 0mm shift, and sometimes elsewhere. There is a little brass tong which locks the shift in place where you want it - you just slide the tong, works well.

The other shift is geared and there is a small turn wheel to do fine adjustments.

In short, the Max has geared shift (and the release too) in the vertical direction, but only the release in the horizontal. The Plus has geared and release in both directions.

The Max is taller than wide; the Plus is more like two STC platforms put at 90º to each other - its square (a bit smaller than the Max).

Geoff, thank you for the explanation!

Ghaag

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 08:45:40 am »

I would look at Alpa, Arca Swiss and Cambo.

All three systems are great and have pro and cons.

I personally shoot with Arca and love my cameras. Great fun to work with and would choose them again.

However, all three systems work very well. Alpa is probably the most expensive one and has the most “tech” options. ( focal shutter, digital lens boards) Cambo is the “cheapest” entry, but their cameras are by no mean bad.

As stated in another thread you might want to hold of a little until we see what phase one is doing and if there is any truth to the rumor about their tech cam solution.

Thank for your insight Christopher!  Do any of these have the advantage in the area of lenses?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 08:48:38 am »

Here is some summary tables, comparisons, and tech information on Arca Swiss Tech Cameras and Cambo Tech Cameras.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 09:24:13 am »

Both Steve Hendrix and Doug Peterson have a reputation of both knowing the precise abilities of what they sell, and taking very good care of their customers. They don't forget about you the day you've cut them a check.

Of course, in the end they do want to make a sale.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

cloud9leeds

• Cloud 9 Architectural Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 09:32:10 am »

Hi Greg
I'm an architectural photographer with a Cambo 5000, and would like to highly recommend both the camera and the Dutch guys at Cambo who are most helpful. The camera is very easy to set up, which i love on location and it looks cool! What's more, a comparable Alpa would cost twice the price.
Jonathan www.cloud9.photos @carsoftheworld.photos

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 09:57:53 am »

I’ve used both alpa and cambo and settled on owning a cambio system.  Alpa offers a more precise lens focusing system, but it’s all relative.  The cambo has been a joy to use.  Comes down to features or style preferred as mentioned previously. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Ghaag

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 11:05:12 am »

Here is some summary tables, comparisons, and tech information on Arca Swiss Tech Cameras and Cambo Tech Cameras.

Thanks Doug, I will take a look at these.

Ghaag

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 11:06:06 am »

Both Steve Hendrix and Doug Peterson have a reputation of both knowing the precise abilities of what they sell, and taking very good care of their customers. They don't forget about you the day you've cut them a check.

Of course, in the end they do want to make a sale.

Edmund

Thanks for the recommendations Edmond!

Ghaag

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 11:08:05 am »

Hi Greg
I'm an architectural photographer with a Cambo 5000, and would like to highly recommend both the camera and the Dutch guys at Cambo who are most helpful. The camera is very easy to set up, which i love on location and it looks cool! What's more, a comparable Alpa would cost twice the price.
Jonathan www.cloud9.photos @carsoftheworld.photos

Jonathan, thank you for sharing your experience with the Cambo, I will take a look.

Ghaag

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 11:09:50 am »

I’ve used both alpa and cambo and settled on owning a cambio system.  Alpa offers a more precise lens focusing system, but it’s all relative.  The cambo has been a joy to use.  Comes down to features or style preferred as mentioned previously.

Tony, thank you for sharing your insights on the two systems, I will definitely take a look at the Cambo system.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 01:13:19 pm »

In general lenses are all the same. Rode stock and some Schneider if you can find them.

The difference between the systems is:

- Arca has by far the most precise focus system followed by Alpa. However, with modern CMOS backs and love view this benefit has gotten less important. ( on CCD it was amazing to measure with a laser set the Arca lens to the right focus point and having perfect focus every time.)
- the other main difference is tilt, as far as I understand it, and it’s still current: with Arca (Rm3di and factum) you can use tilt on every lens.

With cambo and Alpa you need a “special” lens board and I’m not sure if it’s available on all lenses.

Here it depends a lot on your personal need for tilt.

Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Ghaag

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 01:37:54 pm »

In general lenses are all the same. Rode stock and some Schneider if you can find them.

The difference between the systems is:

- Arca has by far the most precise focus system followed by Alpa. However, with modern CMOS backs and love view this benefit has gotten less important. ( on CCD it was amazing to measure with a laser set the Arca lens to the right focus point and having perfect focus every time.)
- the other main difference is tilt, as far as I understand it, and it’s still current: with Arca (Rm3di and factum) you can use tilt on every lens.

With cambo and Alpa you need a “special” lens board and I’m not sure if it’s available on all lenses.

Here it depends a lot on your personal need for tilt.

Thank you Christopher!  The tilt feature is far less important for me than the shift.  I think in a new system, ease of use, the ability to accurately focus and versatility of the system would be most important to me. Honestly, I do not know enough, all of these systems may be very similar in these areas. Any clarity you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 02:14:50 pm »

There are several advantages of a very precise focus ring (and I agree Arca is most precise, followed by Alpa, followed by Cambo):
1) Focusing without live view (e.g. using a laser distometer)
2) Focus bracketing
3) A/B comparison
4) Focus stacking
5) Precise presets, such as a hyperfocal or psuedo hyperfocal

The transition from CCD to CMOS has greatly reduced the need for (1) but has changed nothing about (2) through (5) which still greatly benefit from a hyper-precise focus helical of the Arca R.

Bias alert: DT sells Arca and Cambo but chooses not to sell Alpa.

Ghaag

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 05:22:54 pm »

There are several advantages of a very precise focus ring (and I agree Arca is most precise, followed by Alpa, followed by Cambo):
1) Focusing without live view (e.g. using a laser distometer)
2) Focus bracketing
3) A/B comparison
4) Focus stacking
5) Precise presets, such as a hyperfocal or psuedo hyperfocal

The transition from CCD to CMOS has greatly reduced the need for (1) but has changed nothing about (2) through (5) which still greatly benefit from a hyper-precise focus helical of the Arca R.

Doug,
Thank you for the explanation!  I am not sure I understand number 5?  I understand hyperfocal distance, but I guess not in the context of using presets or pseudo hyperfocal.  However, I use focus stacking/blending extensively.
Thanks,
Greg

Bias alert: DT sells Arca and Cambo but chooses not to sell Alpa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up