Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon, film slrs are they all full frame?  (Read 3943 times)

kevs

Canon, film slrs are they all full frame?
« on: January 27, 2019, 09:34:00 pm »

I know Dlsrs, some are cropped/ some full frame. What about film era? I assumed all full frame or no?  ie, what get on film and what see in finder? I looking at Canon 1N, and now maybe the Elan, thanks.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Canon, film slrs are they all full frame?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 09:41:42 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Photo_System

Cameras

The format was introduced in 1996 by Kodak, Fujifilm, Minolta, Nikon, Canon and others. APS was mainly used for point and shoot amateur cameras, although some SLR systems were also created: Canon EOS IX, Minolta Vectis, Nikon Pronea with Nikon IX lenses. Of these the Canon EOS IX and the Nikon Pronea could use the existing 35 mm SLR lenses, whereas Minolta opted to create a new lens line-up later shared with an early digital SLR. Nikon developed the IX series of lens that were lighter and had a smaller image circle (similar to the Nikon DX format used since 2004). Although the Nikon IX series of lenses were not compatible with the Nikon 35 mm SLR, lenses for the Nikon 35 mm SLR were compatible with the Nikon Pronea. Using existing lenses meant that the field of view was reduced by around 1.6×, but had the advantage of a larger lens selection. Creating a new lens system on the other hand gave the possibility of creating smaller and lighter lenses as they had a smaller image circle to cover. APS SLR cameras were too expensive for the high-end amateur market when they first appeared, and professional photographers stuck with 35 mm cameras, which offered greater image quality and resolution.

kevs

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 09:45:13 pm »

Thanks Slo, no I'm still lost actually, have not dealt with slrs for years, just digital. I'm full frame digital for 10 years, and stay away from cropped digital bodies.

But now, I cannot remember film slrs! My memory is that they were all full frame. I'm looking at the Canon Elan and 1N, and the 1, and 3. Do those differ? Are they all full frame for lens/ full frame what you see in viewfinder?

Thanks for the the links but they were to general/ generic, that's why I post her.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 09:46:49 pm »

Since you asked, Halina Panorama camera was based on a cropped film format. It produced a 13x36mm format crop from the centre of a 24x36 negative.

https://www.35mmc.com/22/04/2017/halina-panorama/

kevs

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 09:50:09 pm »

Moderator: if you can please delete the spam post by Les that would be great. Thanks.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 09:57:20 pm »

I wasn't aware of any spam in my post. On contrary, I posted it as an interesting and useful information.
Disclosure: I am not associated in any way with the above mentioned camera and its manufacturer.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 10:04:05 pm »

... I cannot remember film slrs! My memory is that they were all full frame. I'm looking at the Canon Elan and 1N, and the 1, and 3. Do those differ? Are they all full frame for lens/ full frame what you see in viewfinder?

Thanks for the the links but they were to general/ generic, that's why I post her.

I emphasized in bold the relevant information in my previous post, i.e., the only SLRs that were in APS-C film format. By inference, all other SLRs were full frame.

kevs

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 10:21:59 pm »

Thanks Slo, so all those Canons I listed are ok lenses FF and viewfinder... Appreciate it.

degrub

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 11:57:43 pm »

kevs

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 12:26:46 am »

Nice link De, and it does show that for the Elan, you wont see 10% of you shot correct?

Viewfinder    Fixed eye-level pentaprism. 0.75x magnification and 90% coverage.

Which is an argument for maybe not getting that camera as opposed to the 1N or the 3.

Granted at least it's not a crop camera like the Rebel etc....

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 12:51:45 am »

Elan and 1N are not in the same league. 1N was a top professional model and Elan was a consumer camera.

kevs

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 12:53:58 am »

Yes, thanks, this confirms that.... at least it's full frame images, but not acceptable 10% viewfinder is not seen.. So yeah I'll be passing on it.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 03:43:14 am »

the only SLRs that were in APS-C film format. By inference, all other SLRs were full frame.
Not correct. The Olympus Pen series of SLRs were 35mm half frame. If we want to be particularly pedantic there was also a 126 SLR made by Rollei and there were plenty of medium format SLRs too.

mbaginy

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 04:23:33 am »

Kevs, be aware of the two different (bayonet) lens mounts Canon bodies used.  The F1 and F1N used the FD mount for manual focus lenses.  The Elan (US name) up to current digital SLRs were fitted with EOS lens mount.  Actually, there was one EOS-mount camera body using EOS lenses which didn't have autofocus capability, but was focused manually.

So, if you're thinking about using any existing Canon EOS lenses with an analog body, don't look at the F1 or F1N, but only bodies using EOS mount.

By the way, I hate the term full frame, 35mm being more accurate.  But then, there were some 35mm cameras which were half frame (e.g. Olympus Pen), so whatever.  The Hasselblad X used 35mm film too and wasn't full frame.  Somewhat like the automotive industry in which I worked as a fuel system engineer for over 30 years.  Whenever US colleagues mentioned gas, it was important to check if they meant gasoline or LPG.  A number of (costly) misunderstandings took place during fuel system developments.

But I understand what you mean, Kevs, when you mention full frame.

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 07:57:58 am »

Moderator: if you can please delete the spam post by Les that would be great. Thanks.

I shall do nothing of the kind. I think you do not understand the meaning of "spam" in this (that is, non-meat) context.

On a wider point, it is not open to the originator of a thread in this or any of the forums on this site to dictate what is or is not an acceptable post in the thread: that is why the originator does not have the ability to delete others' posts. Knowledge is seldom useless; the fact that Les's post does not directly answer your original question is neither here nor there.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 08:57:43 am »

..l The F1 and F1N used the FD mount for manual focus lenses...

I assume the OP had in mind Canon EOS 1N and EOS 3 cameras, not the F Series.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 09:32:51 am »

Yes, that's my understanding as well.

Maybe interesting to know for some, Canon used to try out innovative new technologies in their Prosumer EOS-3 an EOS-5 series, before introducing them (or not) in their flagship range EOS-1 series.

The EOS-3 e.g. has Eye-focus capability, which works for some and doesn't work for others. I'm wearing spectacles, so with my EOS-3 it was hit and miss, but it was a very nice try where the camera would focus on what you were looking at in the viewfinder. Great for shooting infants and other fast moving critters ;)

I still have an EOS-3 (unused since I went EOS 1Ds II, which I also still have as a backup and do occasionally use), but it's still a wonderful fit for my hands. The same lenses can be used on all of them.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:17:28 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

mbaginy

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 03:04:34 pm »

Absolutely correct, Slobodan. I must have scanned his query without the proper attention to detail.  For some reason, the F1 popped into my mind - maybe because I once used the (old) F1 which was one of my favorite cameras.

NancyP

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 07:42:14 pm »

I remember some consumer-grade cameras which used half a 35mm frame per shot, so you got 72 slides from a 36 roll.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 08:27:02 pm »

Yes, Nancy, the cropping can be done in many ways.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up