Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Curtain-Crossed Lovers  (Read 986 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Curtain-Crossed Lovers
« on: January 26, 2019, 07:57:19 pm »

This afternoon my wife and I saw and really enjoyed the movie Cold War, (Zimna wojna) by director Pawel Pawlikowski (he also co-wrote the screenplay), which tells the story of two Polish lovers—loosely based on Pawlikowski's parents—who connect, separate, wind up on opposite sides of the Iron Curtain and, after several more connection-separation iterations, ultimately reunite.

It swept the European film awards (five awards in the six major categories for which it was nominated), and is a U.S. Motion Picture Academy Awards candidate for best director, cinematography, and foreign-language film.  (It's in Polish.)

Its photographic style is stark and it's in black-and-white, which somehow seems appropriate for depicting a sequence of historical segments between the 1940s and the 1960s.

But what really impressed me was that this is one of the few movies I can recall where I didn't think the director wasted a single scene.  Pawlikowski told a reporter for The New Yorker that his spare cinematic style is based on asking, "what is necessary here?"

I don't shoot video, but that strikes me as a useful standard to employ for anyone who is culling images.

Rob C

Re: Curtain-Crossed Lovers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 02:47:09 pm »

This afternoon my wife and I saw and really enjoyed the movie Cold War, (Zimna wojna) by director Pawel Pawlikowski (he also co-wrote the screenplay), which tells the story of two Polish lovers—loosely based on Pawlikowski's parents—who connect, separate, wind up on opposite sides of the Iron Curtain and, after several more connection-separation iterations, ultimately reunite.

It swept the European film awards (five awards in the six major categories for which it was nominated), and is a U.S. Motion Picture Academy Awards candidate for best director, cinematography, and foreign-language film.  (It's in Polish.)

Its photographic style is stark and it's in black-and-white, which somehow seems appropriate for depicting a sequence of historical segments between the 1940s and the 1960s.

But what really impressed me was that this is one of the few movies I can recall where I didn't think the director wasted a single scene.  Pawlikowski told a reporter for The New Yorker that his spare cinematic style is based on asking, "what is necessary here?"

I don't shoot video, but that strikes me as a useful standard to employ for anyone who is culling images.

If you mean culling still shots from your own files, I'd certainly advise against it. You just never know when they can become useful to you in a manner beyond their own, simple identity as a shot.

Rob

Chris Kern

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 07:22:01 pm »

If you mean culling still shots from your own files, I'd certainly advise against it. You just never know when they can become useful to you in a manner beyond their own, simple identity as a shot.

Arguably, I suppose.  If I was trying to make a living at photography—I'm retired now, but I never was so reckless—I suspect I would think of every image that wasn't technically defective as potential inventory.  But as an amateur, shooting solely for my own amusement, the weaker captures are actually just a potential time-sink.  And time is more precious to me now than it was when I started shooting—again, always as an amateur—back in the 1960s.  What was the famous Henry VIII line about aging?  I was unable to find it with a Google search, but I swear I remember it.  (Although of course that might be an artifact of my age-deteriorated memory.)

Two23

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 09:30:04 pm »

I need to watch for this movie.  There are several other modern films shot in b&w that I really enjoyed, such as "Schindler's List."

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Chris Kern

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 11:29:16 pm »

There are several other modern films shot in b&w that I really enjoyed, such as "Schindler's List."

It's in 4:3 aspect ratio.  It was shot with Arri Alexa XT digital cameras, but it looked for all the world like film while I was watching it.  There's an interesting interview with Łukasz Żal, the D.P., here.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 03:05:34 pm »

Interesting interview with the DP.  Thanks!

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 04:19:18 pm »

I need to watch for this movie.  There are several other modern films shot in b&w that I really enjoyed, such as "Schindler's List."

Kent in SD

Kent
Have you seen  "IDA"  B&W foreign film in 2013....Amazing photography.

Peter

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 04:57:06 pm »

Have you seen  "IDA"  B&W foreign film in 2013....Amazing photography.

Yes! A compelling story and great performances too.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up