Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shoot film in addition to Digital and what to buy? Canon, Nikon, Contax, Hassy..  (Read 2236 times)

Two23

Thanks Kent, I undid the two gold clips on Brownie, but the two sections wont come apart. I don't want to pull too hard, but normal pull, nothing happens.

1.  Jiggles 1/16 inch, but wont come apart.

2. You don't think new 35 digitals that are 40 - 50mb resolve to print as good as film 645s?

3.  How is lens quality of the Fuji 645 vs Mamiya 6/7?

1. It's just stuck from age.  See the video I just posted.  Really, if you undo the top clip and pull down you aren't likely to hurt it with your bare hands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Qjj_xRTQU

2. My Nikon D800E 35mp with a Sigma 50mm gives as much detail as a drum scanned neg from my 4x5.  It just doesn't have the lens movements and can't shoot dry plates. :)

3.  I don't obsess over that kind of stuff.  The lenses are very similar construction and material and I doubt you'd ever actually see any difference.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

kevs

Thanks Kent, my anniversary latches are bit different than the #2 in video, maybe I PM you about it later if that is ok..

Wow so you concur that 35mm digital 35 mp can rival 4x5 inch film for prints -- that's pretty significant coming from a film guy like you for just resolving from shot to prints.. though I know you don't shoot for that issue...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:46:10 pm by kevs »
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

faberryman

I have a selection of lenses from all eras of photography including a set of eight lenses from the 1840s -1850s, a couple from the 1880s, five from 1905-1925, one from 1947, and five from 1990-2000.  Lenses from each era have their own signature.
What do you use for shutters for your vintage lenses?

leuallen

Nice post Larry, interesting. When I google Bronica GS645 , everything that comes up says Fuji GS645 !

How is quality of these two vs each other and vs say Mamiya 7 or RZ?

Love the smallness of them.. like Mamiya 7, not as crazy expensive...

Must of had Bronica on the brain. It is a Fuji. Quality is not going to be same as Mamiya 7 or RZ because film size is much smaller. The lens is if I remember is very sharp. I have the folder with 75 mm lens. A lot of those shown on Ebay are with the 60mm lens with roll cage around lens. I was surprised at the cost, $450 average is way more than I expected. Finally figured out how to open back: pull lever down and then the secret hand shake.

Larry

kevs

Leu, yeah, the Mamiya is 2k body and another k for lens.. (3k for all)

But I'm not I'll bother probably, when you think that current 35mm digitals resolve as good as 4x5 film, so well, the only point then is to have larger film than 35mm in the filing cabinet. Beyond that I may just shoot then 35mm film on a Canon body (as my current leses are Canon), and only blow those up to 16 x 20 tops.. Again will be shooting all this primarily with modern Dlsrs, which as Two said can print up as good as 4x5 film now.

But, I'm bookmarking all this info, as I could change my mind, so all good to know/ have. Thanks...

Two23

1. Thanks Kent, my anniversary latches are bit different than the #2 in video, maybe I PM you about it later if that is ok..

2. Wow so you concur that 35mm digital 35 mp can rival 4x5 inch film for prints -- that's pretty significant coming from a film guy like you for just resolving from shot to prints.. though I know you don't shoot for that issue...

1. Sure.  Photos would help.

2. I'm not a "film guy;" I'm a "photography guy." ;)  I'm happy using any of them.

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

Two23

What do you use for shutters for your vintage lenses?

Black t-shirt over the lens, removed/replaced with my hand.  Most exposures are 1-3 seconds.  Below shot of General Custer taken with an 1845 Ross Petzval, Chamonix 4x5.  A 2s exposure.  The general was most obliging. :)

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

Two23

Again will be shooting all this primarily with modern Dlsrs, which as Two said can print up as good as 4x5 film now.

Yes, but my 4x5 with historical lenses gives an entirely different look than my D800E with state of art lenses.  I think the mistake you are make is using the same standard to judge digital vs. film.  Really, this is more like judging an oil painting vs a watercolor. ;)  Below photo was taken with a 1942 Leica IIIc and 1948 Leica 90mm lens, Ilford HP5.  It would have an entirely different look if shot with Nikon D800E and Sigma 85mm f1.4.  I like this look.  (Rail yard in Marshall, MN during blizzard.)

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures

Judging by what you've been saying, it might be worth looking at the Contax 645 system. Great film camera, and digital backs are quite well integrated. Phase One backs were made up through the IQ2 series, and I believe they are still current under the Leaf brand. And the lenses for that system are beautiful. 
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

kevs

Thanks D, if I did medium format film, I'd get the Mamiya 7.. as so light;  But the body and lens, looking at $3500.00; just one lens add another lens.. at $4500; .. not sure worth it...  I think a Canon/ Nikon DLSR, can resolve large prints as good, no?

Telecaster

I picked up a Zeiss Super Ikonta 531/16 (6x4.5cm) folding rangefinder in clean & properly working condition late last year for under US$400. 75mm f/3.5 Tessar lens. Like most Zeiss cameras it operates kinda weird (left-handed shutter release, for example) but as a means of exploring medium format film it and other similar folding cameras are great entry points.

-Dave-

kevs

THANKS Tele, that is what in relation to a 35mm camera lens? Is the Zeiss lens as great as Zeiss other famous lenses they are known for?

How user friendly is it?

Rob C

I regularly used Nikons loaded with FP3/4 to make fashion prints on 60" x 40" paper. (Well, to be accurate, I farmed them out because I couldn't handle that size in my darkrooms.)

For colour, it was Hasselblad with Ektachrome. The thing is, when you make a vertical like that on the larger camera, you are only using the height of the 120 film to advantage, and it's not really all that much bigger when looked at in that way, but every little helps.

However, it all came down to viewing distance. There's no way I'd claim that a print the same size, from a similarly fine-grain 4 x 5 film would not scream superior quality. It depends on so many factors: movement, flash or available light, contrast... everything and anything can conspire to make the same format work or not work. You just have to know how the print's going to be used and act accordingly.

Don't forget: visible film grain is often acceptable and even a contributory factor to mood; I can't think of an occasion when the digital equivalent of pixels can look cool. I have spent a lot of time wandering hospital corridors, looking at huge, decorative prints meant to soothe people and their nerves; if they are old film photographers, seeing all those horrible pixels up close could be counterproductive.

Rob
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 04:59:24 pm by Rob C »

Telecaster

THANKS Tele, that is what in relation to a 35mm camera lens? Is the Zeiss lens as great as Zeiss other famous lenses they are known for?

How user friendly is it?

75mm in 645 format equates to around 50mm in 35mm format terms. Different aspect ratio, though. The Tessar is a fine lens for its time…Rollei also used it on some of their TLR cameras.

As for user friendly: not at first.  :)  Unless you're familiar with Zeiss camera quirkiness an Ikonta or Super Ikonta is a strange beast. But you get used to it. It also helps if you've used a screwmount Leica or copy thereof…with most Super Ikontas the rangefinder and viewfinder are separate things.

-Dave-
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up