Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter pictures from Austrian Alps  (Read 636 times)

francois

Re: Winter pictures from Austrian Alps
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 04:49:35 am »

Spectacular images! No snow here and I'm happy with that.
Francois

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 11:02:34 am »

Wow. I thought I got a lot of snow at my cottage. I've been bested. That is me in Image 3. Explains why my shoulders are fried. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 11:30:44 am »

Were they not complaining that the global warming rob them of snow last year?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 01:53:34 pm »

The heaviest snowfalls occur in relatively warm temperatures and lot of air moisture  (that is relatively warm winter temperatures) - just below freezing point with surface temperatures from about 28°F to 32°F.
In Ontario, Ohio and Michigan we often get so called lake effect snow storms, fed by the moist air over the lakes. Driving on i90 along Lake Erie between Buffalo and Erie can be quite treacherous on many winter days.

Conversely, the Arctic gets quite low snowfalls, except near the sea ice edge.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 08:24:44 pm »

I, for one, am certainly looking forward to getting some snow! Here it is mid-January in southern Ontario and we have barely a skiff from a few lake streamers. I can still see my lawn through it!

Ah well...
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

BradSmith

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:56:36 pm »

Talk about snow!!!!   In January 1969, the Pacific jet stream bent south and took direct aim at mid-northern California.  At Mammoth Mountain Ski area in the Sierras, it snowed on 17 consecutive days and all roads were shut down for over 2 weeks.  I drove there from Los Angeles the day the highway reopened, 3 or 4 days after the snow had stopped.  I had rented an A-frame cabin for that weekend over a month before.  I got to where the cabin should be but could see nothing outside of the 30+ foot deep snow trough that was the roadway.  I had to sort of claw my way up the side of the nearly vertical wall of snow to try to find the cabin.  When I reached the top of the snow pile, looking down, there it was.  Just the peak and a little bit of the front of a second story balcony sticking out of the snow.  The entire house was buried in snow except this little bit of balcony. I slid down to the balcony and fortunately, the key worked.  In that 17 days of storm after storm after storm, Mammoth had gotten 27 feet of snow.   

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 06:04:34 pm »

Here in eastern Massachusetts we almost always have some snow by mid-December, but this year no winter snow until today!

Several inches, but then it changed to rain and then freezing rain, and tomorrow is forecast to be frigid (high of 9F, with winds making it feel like -20F.)

And what's left of the snow isn't even photogenic. Bummer!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up