Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colorchecker ICC camera profiles  (Read 13446 times)

sebbe

Re: Colorchecker ICC camera profiles
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2019, 05:25:42 am »

For critical work like professional reproduction, like most BasICColor users are working with as far as I understand, I would not recommend to upgrade immediately to big new major releases, at least not while keeping the old software and workflow working so there's a fallback. Capture One is far from unique when it comes to having some bugs in the "dot zero" major release, I've been a bit guilty myself in that regard :-[. But hopefully there will be some patch releases soon that starts fixing stuff users have reported in.

The bug description:

"When exporting a TIFF file for profiling the embedded transfer function (TIFFTAG_TRANSFERFUNCTION) contains seemingly random curve segments rather than the actual transfer function. This means that any third-party profile maker that depend on the transfer function to be able to linearize the image data can no longer make profiles. In my case the profile maker is XXX."

Be sure to test first though, I'm not 100% sure that the bug is manifested on all system+camera combinations, and I only want people that actually have a problem to send a report to Phase One.
If you are using Lumariver Profile Designer there's more information here http://www.lumariver.com/lrpd-manual/#c1_troubleshooting for example how you can use the tone curve dialog to actually plot the shape of the embedded transfer function, so you can see for sure that it's broken.

Edit: as shown below not all profile makers need the transfer function (X-Rite can do without). I was assuming that everyone did as the information has always been there. If the profile maker doesn't make use of the transfer function it must in some way estimate it, and it can do this using the target's neutral patches from black to white. I think that process is unnecessary when the information is there and is exact, but if Phase One is slow in fixing this bug I may need to reconsider...

It seems to be broken again with C1 20. Does others have this issue too?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2019, 06:49:42 am »

It seems to be broken again with C1 20. Does others have this issue too?

No, I just tested it, and it works without issues. Tested both with a standard and a repro profile

sebbe

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2019, 07:16:50 am »

Thanks, therefore I will do a complete new install as the support suggested.

sebbe

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2019, 04:47:32 am »

No, I just tested it, and it works without issues. Tested both with a standard and a repro profile

Would you (or someone else) please do me a favour and add a layer to the raw file before export?
The layer does not need any adjustments. Just paint a mask on a new layer and export to tiff.
It seems to me that the issue (in lumariver) only occurs when there was a visible layer while exporting.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2019, 03:56:22 pm »

Would you (or someone else) please do me a favour and add a layer to the raw file before export?
The layer does not need any adjustments. Just paint a mask on a new layer and export to tiff.
It seems to me that the issue (in lumariver) only occurs when there was a visible layer while exporting.

I haven't had the chance and may try this later. In any case, why would you want to use a file with a layer for creating a profile?
As far as I know, the idea is to have a completely unmodified raw, except for white balance

Dinarius

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2019, 04:20:12 am »

I've been testing Lumariver for repro profiles made from C1 20 exports.

No edits to the file except white balance/No Color Correction/Linear, and Embed Camera Profile on export. That's it.

Working well for me.

D.

sebbe

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2019, 09:42:51 am »

I haven't had the chance and may try this later. In any case, why would you want to use a file with a layer for creating a profile?
As far as I know, the idea is to have a completely unmodified raw, except for white balance

Well creating a tiff is never ever the same as "having a completely unmodified raw". ;)
Just kidding.

I'm doing some more steps after importing the shot of the target:
base: "no color correction" profile, "linear scientific" curve, no shaperning, no noise reduction, no chromatic abberration, default adjustments for the rest
1. add a LCC to correct light falloff and color cast.
2. Shoot another picture with a white plane in front of the target. With this shot I create a layer to equalize the brightness for the whole area of the target (set the dark and white point on the levels tool as close as possible --> adjust with the brush on the layer). Of course I did everything before to get an "as perfect as possible" lumination of the target and the layer has only a slight brightness change (<0.1) with a very subtle mask. This layer is copied to the target-shot
3. adjust the brightness of the target shot to get the right lumination at 65% (a grey card with sRGB:165). This adjustment is also below 0.1. Otherwise I reshoot it.
4. Crop the image to the frame of the target.

Imo this give me better results than using the flatfield correction (for 1 and 2) in Lumariver and customized tone curves have the same brightness base (thanks to 3). As all this is possible with C1 and thanks to tethered shooting it's also not a big thing to get a good shot/check quickly, why not using these adjustments?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 10:05:29 am by sebbe »

jejes

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2020, 07:03:32 am »

Could you tell me your LAB or RGB values when you shoot the card and when you export. Usually i shoot and set to Auto and i get White 240 240 240 and middle gray 130 130 130. This is when my curve it's on Auto when i set to Linear Response i get -2 EV at least. And i have to increase exposure or compensate with pushing up +2EV in C1.

Could you give me an advice?

Thank You

sebbe

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2020, 07:24:45 am »

After import I'll check the white patches of the CCSG-shot. E5 should have a mean sRGB value of 242-243 (with a linear scientific curve). When I export the file, I'll check lab L-value of 65 for G5 (or similar patches on other targets).

Your correct with the +2EV. But of course you have to increase the EV while doing the shot and not later in C1.

jejes

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2020, 05:59:52 pm »

Then you adjust your exposure in Linear Capture, not in AUTO. Am i right?

After import I'll check the white patches of the CCSG-shot. E5 should have a mean sRGB value of 242-243 (with a linear scientific curve). When I export the file, I'll check lab L-value of 65 for G5 (or similar patches on other targets).

Your correct with the +2EV. But of course you have to increase the EV while doing the shot and not later in C1.

sebbe

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2020, 04:25:37 am »

Then you adjust your exposure in Linear Capture, not in AUTO. Am i right?

Yes, that's correct. My curve in lumariver does add contrast with an s-curve form. It is quite similar to the auto-curve.
Sorry for the late reply. I'm not very often in the forum.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up