Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Littondale  (Read 994 times)

RogTallbloke

Littondale
« on: January 07, 2019, 07:08:18 pm »

A quietly hidden gem in the north of Yorkshire.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Littondale
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 03:32:22 am »

I like the scene, with the parallel walls. I think the image could be rather better processed: it looks washed-out and overexposed at the top.

Jeremy

RogTallbloke

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 03:46:50 am »

Thanks Jeremy. Yes, the composition was a lot better than the execution the equipment permitted. A lens hood would have helped prevent the flare caused by shooting towards the Sun. SONY don't provide a thread or any other means of attachment on the RX100 lens. I sold it and bought a Nikon 1 camera instead.

degrub

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 08:10:36 am »

Nice composition.
That looks like veiling glare from mist in the valley as well. 

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:12:34 pm »

Duplicating the image and then setting the duplicate to Multiply mode & its opacity to 50–60% gives the photo a lot more "body."

-Dave-
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:59:31 am by Telecaster »

RogTallbloke

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 12:48:07 pm »

Duplicating the image and then setting the duplicate to Multiply mode & its opacity to 50–60% gives the photo a lot more "body."

-Dave-

Thanks for the tip. I did that and added a levels mask too and got something closer to my memory of strongly contrasting sun and shadow.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 01:12:54 pm »

Big improvement. Very nice now.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 01:18:19 pm »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 03:14:20 pm »

Yes, very much better. If anything, it's a bit dark at the bottom and light at the top: have you tried a gradient?

Jeremy

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 03:52:18 pm »

-Dave-

You do realise that this is just a very round about way of doing a plain old gamma correction?

Then again, this looks more professional on youtube...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 03:45:16 pm »

You do realise that this is just a very round about way of doing a plain old gamma correction?

Then again, this looks more professional on youtube...

Say it isn't so!

;D

-Dave-

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 11:51:11 am »

I like the scene, with the parallel walls. I think the image could be rather better processed: it looks washed-out and overexposed at the top.
Jeremy

Sorry, Jeremy, I heartily disagree. The original photograph re-creates a feeling of slightly misty morning light quite lost in the second image. Do not change the original tonal values - they make the photograph!

The only concern I have is the too-tight cropping: I don’t feel like I can visually enter the scene with the bottom of the gate cut off and I have nowhere to go with the lack of breathing room at the top. The loss of the bottom of the gate does not look intentional.

If ‘Rog’ was trying to convey a feeling of tightness and claustrophobia of the repeating fence lines and fields, contrasting with freedom of the glorious light above, then he succeeded, although I would still prefer to have even 5% more along the top to accentuate that gorgeous light.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 04:17:52 pm »

I'm with Terry.  The aerial perspective and depth offered by the light tones in the distance make version 1 far more appealing to me.
In fact, I'd be tempted to lighten it even more.
In fact 02, I wish I could see the horizon.

The RHS foreground rock wall is too dark after this adjustment, too. But then, I'd clone out all the wires, so all bets are off.

A lovely location, deserving of the most stringent attention to tone and colour. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:21:48 pm by Peter McLennan »

RogTallbloke

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 08:25:36 am »

Thanks for the further comments. The EXIF shows I had the focal length zoomed in to 32mm equiv. I take the point about the gate bottom. I suspect I zoomed in a little to improve corner sharpness, and avoided including sky to prevent as much flare as possible shooting towards the sunny side of the sky. The RX100 II I was using had no means of attaching a hood and insufficient dynamic range to do justice to the much bigger contrasts a wider framing would have introduced. That said, the RX100 is capable of pleasing land/skyscapes with the sun behind the shoulder. I've included another shot from the same afternoon below with that situation.

It was an on-the hoof snapshot taken with a shirt-pocket camera rather than a thoughtfully considered composition. With your helpful comments, I'll have more in mind next time I visit this location.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 04:30:53 am »

It is a lovely vignette. The scene is mostly backlit and the (I suspect) veiling flare adds to the mood here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up