Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does the new LuLa need an editor?  (Read 10823 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Does the new LuLa need an editor?
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2019, 09:30:19 am »

And almost nothing else, editorially speaking.

Gear is easy; sellers are happy and able to get coverage the more monopolistic they become, and GAS the contemporary disease for which they are equally happy to dispense their snake oil remedies, new gear having nothing much to do with photographs per se, as the oil of any old snake is capable enough for anyone, especially since the advent of stitching which will become the Amazon of the photo-gear junkyard, consigning the megapixellators to the dumper and benign regard of the junkyard hound.

If you seek more than GAS, which I believe is where you are at and have been for ages, you depend mostly on columns/threads such as the one you are reading the noo, and the efforts of the posters to be heard and make their varied points... what have you honestly found recently in the editorials that gave you the hots?

I occasionally go though some of them to catch up, but almost never as the first stop when LuLa gets switched on. If it's a how-to I switch over to something else. Somebody mentioned the "problem" vis-à-vis expensive gear, since few are probably willing to shell out the price. I have no problem with reviews of any level of camera as I have no intentions of buying anything more at all, my current stuff better at the job of making exposures than am I at making interesting ones. What would I gain by spending more?

All I'd offer about reviews is that guy doing the review, if it's a video, not kiss ass so damned much: it makes me feel very uncomfortable and embarrassed on his behalf and not a little on that of the subject, who must find it cloyingy difficult too.

Rob

At the risk of going way off-topic in this thread, some of that gear talk is kind of important though. No matter what else you're doing and with what, you sort of have to keep track of what else is going on if for no other reason than to know where to start looking for replacement gear when the gizmo you're holding breaks. The whole gear worship side has a life of its own, of course, but it's not that difficult to ignore the large parts of it that don't matter to you. It takes a bit of sifting at first to figure out what NOT to bother reading but eventually you get good at it. (I start by looking at the MSRP. If it's above a certain threshold, I stop caring about the device, doesn't matter how good it is.)
--
Robert

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2019, 10:00:49 am »

Reviews of exotic equipment are not unlike reviews of exotic cars or travel reports from exotic locations. Although such purchase would be hard to justify, reading about it can be titillating. Sometimes even more satisfying just watching or reading from the comfort of your home than actually being there. And quite affordable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoIa253WD7s

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2019, 10:55:59 am »

... If you seek more than GAS, which I believe is where you are at and have been for ages, you depend mostly on columns/threads such as the one you are reading the noo, and the efforts of the posters to be heard and make their varied points... what have you honestly found recently in the editorials that gave you the hots?...

Rob, you need an editor for your posts, mate ;)

If the "you" refers to me, and not just a rhetorical one, then, honestly, I have not been finding much of interest in the editorials or the front page for quite some time. Center pages, centerfolds in particular, are a different matter. The only time I get there (editorials or guest articles) is when it provokes a discussion in the forums.

The latest two editorials didn't change that. I have very little interest in street photography, and in particular in the "hipster" one, and, honestly again, couldn't care less as to why someone is doing it. I might occasionally enjoy the end result, however (the latest article not included).

As for movies, I like them like I like my sausages: best not to know what goes in.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:59:07 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2019, 11:04:59 am »

Equipment reviews, while still clearly the pieces that get the most engagement on the web, have been ticking steadily downwards in clickability.

Interest in doing photography is on the downturn, and most people who are interested know in their hearts that any camera will do nowadays, for almost all photographers.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2019, 11:17:09 am »

Equipment reviews, while still clearly the pieces that get the most engagement on the web, have been ticking steadily downwards in clickability.

Interest in doing photography is on the downturn, and most people who are interested know in their hearts that any camera will do nowadays, for almost all photographers.

Yep. True that. But people unsure sure of their ability have a desperate hope that a new camera with new tech will  make them better at photography. And while ability and practice will always trump equipment the equipment is not totally unimportant, it’s just not going to polish a turd for you.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2019, 11:17:45 am »

I can hear them chipping away at the marble already...

It's inevitable: no way that only pro photographers were going to get burned by Kodak's lousy later invention. There was going to be the popular rush to try it out and then - what? Make anything too easy and the magic dies with the ease. Every little girl's mother teaches (or taught) her those facts of life, and if business can't understand it, well, the consequences end up the same: a grand stuffing all round.

;-(

Rob C

« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2019, 11:40:59 am »

Rob, you need an editor for your posts, mate ;)

If the "you" refers to me, and not just a rhetorical one, then, honestly, I have not been finding much of interest in the editorials or the front page for quite some time. Center pages, centerfolds in particular, are a different matter. The only time I get there (editorials or guest articles) is when it provokes a discussion in the forums.

The latest two editorials didn't change that. I have very little interest in street photography, and in particular in the "hipster" one, and, honestly again, couldn't care less as to why someone is doing it. I might occasionally enjoy the end result, however (the latest article not included).

As for movies, I like them like I like my sausages: best not to know what goes in.

Yes, of course I meant you, as in Slobodan: you've been doing great work for ages and nobody has much to teach you.

The noo: okay, Omar Khayyám might not have lapsed into the old Scottish tongue but he came close:

Here with a loaf of bread
Beneah the bough,
A flask of wine, a book of
Verse - and thou
Beside me singing in the
Wilderness -
And wilderness is paradise enow.

Ann and I had many such occasions when we first came out here to live; pack the car with goodies, the champagne safe and chilled in the portable cooler, and the countryside was yours, especially should you decide to head for the hills. (However, all that bumping on tracks meant you had to take geat care with the opening ceremony or you'd get more champers in your eyes than in the glasses. We eventually accepted the inevitable and went for still wines instead. But it felt wonderful when it was new to us! Today, people go to all-inclusive hotels. Harry H. C.!)

It's all done now: nowhere to park; landowners obliged by law to fence all their territory or loose it (I think that was the deal; big estates spend zillions on fencing where no fence was realistically needed).

Omar would have caught the first 747 back to Persia. Rob stayed and made some snaps.

;-(

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2019, 11:53:04 am »

... The noo: okay, Omar Khayyám might not have lapsed into the old Scottish tongue but he came close...

Hahaha... Well, before assuming a typo (not unusual these days with auto-correct everywhere) I gave you the benefit of the doubt and looked for the "noo." Here is what Apple is telling me it stands for:

Rob C

« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2019, 12:03:43 pm »

Hahaha... Well, before assuming a typo (not unusual these days with auto-correct everywhere) I gave you the benefit of the doubt and looked for the "noo." Here is what Apple is telling me it stands for:

That's the problem with the Internet and Wiki, too. All manner of stuff gets bundled and confused, just like with a contract for the Internet connection itself.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up