Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Does the new LuLa need an editor?  (Read 10816 times)

kimballistic

Does the new LuLa need an editor?
« on: January 03, 2019, 09:53:49 pm »

From Midnight Rainbow submissions:

At mid-summer sunset in Iceland is very late and last a long time.

The glacial iceberg-filled lake at Jokulsarlon is well know, [...]

And then...

Be it professional, whimsical or indispensably personal in subject matter, your submitted contribution of a meaning-filled photograph will be curated and published by us if chosen, showcased with your take of its creation and how you were affected by it’s taking and making.

Yikes.

Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:56:59 pm by kimballistic »

adias

Re: Does the new LuLa need an editor?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 02:54:46 am »

Both text and photography editors, to support the new crew. :)

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 03:10:19 am »

It's been a quite some time since I read The Elements of Style.  Thanks so much for the link, and the trip back to my freshman year in college. (Note that it's is a contraction of "it has" and not the possessive form  ;D)

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 07:51:12 am »

It's been a quite some time since I read The Elements of Style.  Thanks so much for the link, and the trip back to my freshman year in college. (Note that it's is a contraction of "it has" and not the possessive form  ;D)

Their, their, downt get upsett!

;-)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 08:02:05 am »

The misused "it's" is indeed a possessive since it refers to the photograph's making....

But isn't it merely trite to suggest that articles may benefit from being proofread by someone other than their author?

faberryman

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 08:04:31 am »

The misused "it's" is indeed a possessive since it refers to the photograph's making....

But isn't it merely trite to suggest that articles may benefit from being proofread by someone other than their author?
Sometimes it helps to state the obvious when a person can't see the obvious. I'd prefer a professional LuLa to an amateur one.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 11:35:56 am »

... Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.

Hmmm... tell that to James Joyce, for instance  ;)

The Longest Sentence in Literature

Many people attribute the longest sentence in literature to Victor Hugo. The claim is that a sentence in Les Miserables, 823 words long, earns that title.

The source most often given for this, if a source is given, is Timothy Fullerton's Triviata: A Compendium of Useless Information, published in 1975.

Unfortunately, Fullerton was in error. At best, it is the longest sentence in French literature, though I can't confirm that.* Traditionally, the longest sentence in English Literature has been said to be a sentence in Ullyses by James Joyce, which clocks in at 4,391 words. Past editions of The Guinness Book of World Records have listed this record.

However, Joyce's record has recently been surpassed. Jonathan Coe's The Rotters Club, published in 2001, contains a sentence with 13,955 words. I believe he currently holds the record in "English Literature."

However hold on to your seats...

There is also, apparently, a Polish novel, Gates of Paradise, with a 40,000 word sentence. I have been unable so far to find absolute confirmation on an author. Bramy Raju, written by Jerzy Andrzejewski, and published in 1960, translates as Gates of Paradise, but it has been described as a novella. And while there is no absolute definition of that term, novellas are usually shorter than 40,000 words.

Finally, there is a Czech novel that consists of one long sentence -- Dancing Lessons for the Advanced in Age by Bohumil Hrabal. It is this novel that Coe has said inspired his 13,955 word sentence. Hrabal's 'novel sentence' is 128 pages long, though I have been unable to find an exact word count. It most likely takes the award for longest sentence. Even if it doesn't, it dwarfs Hugo's significantly.

-- John Newmark - Nov, 2003

*Aug 2004 -- I have received an email stating that Sodom et Gomorrhe, Volume 4 of À la Recherche du temps perdu by Marcel Proust contains a sentence that's 847 words long in the original French. If this is true, Hugo doesn't hold the French literature record.

Source: http://www.gavroche.org/vhugo/sentence.shtml

My point being that sentence length might be a matter of style. Grammatical errors, however...

Ray Harrison

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 12:02:40 pm »

I inevitably make a spelling or grammar mistake when I comment on spelling or grammar  8) but I think it is certainly reasonable to ask that things do go through an editor. To be fair, it wasn't always entirely clear whether Michael or Kevin (& crew) went through an editor either, but it is certainly good to sneak the request in during a change. I think there's a trend to not comment on grammar and style because "everyone has their unique voice" (or some such). Plus it's a big world and people come at speaking multiple languages in different ways. But to me, nicely written text is the same as a great image. It doesn't have to be "formal text" to be nicely written, and it doesn't have to quiet someone's "unique voice". It does show that someone spent time on the words and how they go together and I think that's reasonable for a professional site. Even dpreview uses editors  :).

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    • http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 12:12:48 pm »

Marcel Proust, one of my favorite authors, is also famous for very long sentences. I don't know if he holds the record or not (I'm reading, not counting!) but he certainly deserves it:
https://nathanbrixius.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/the-five-longest-proust-sentences/
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 12:25:21 pm »

It doesn't have to be "formal text" to be nicely written, and it doesn't have to quiet someone's "unique voice". It does show that someone spent time on the words and how they go together and I think that's reasonable for a professional site.

Total agreement, Ray.  Especially when you're paying to read.  Nothing destroys credibility quicker than spelling and grammar errors.  They're the "smocking gun".

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 01:31:45 pm »

Hmmm... tell that to James Joyce, for instance  ;)

In a lounge at an unnamed airport, "Paging Ms. Bloom, Ms. Molly Bloom please go to the nearest courtesy phone for an important message."  The aforementioned Ms. Bloom picks up the receiver to be greeted by a deeply masculine voice, "yes I said yes I will Yes."

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 01:43:51 pm »

Oh, for Christ's sake!

JoshReichmann

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 01:45:49 pm »

Thanks all for the typo corrections & grammar suggestions, including the general desire to see nothing short of well proofed publishings. As for the broader discussion on writing rules and style- I’ll have to vigourously compose a very (very) long and flowery treaty on that, and offer it up for the ravashing as a thread itself in order to do justice for the topic, me thinks. 😉😇

Rand47

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 02:15:41 pm »

Thanks all for the typo corrections & grammar suggestions, including the general desire to see nothing short of well proofed publishings. As for the broader discussion on writing rules and style- I’ll have to vigourously compose a very (very) long and flowery treaty on that, and offer it up for the ravashing as a thread itself in order to do justice for the topic, me thinks. 😉😇

A treatise might better serve your purpose. 
Rand Scott Adams

JoshReichmann

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 02:18:39 pm »

‘Twas no mistake - I meant the cutest sort of devourable 🍜

wattsies2

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 01:49:18 am »

Ravishing! ;-)

adias

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 02:05:34 am »

This site is finished. RIP!

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 03:54:13 am »

Try the Grammarly app for browsers.  It's pretty good.

jeremyrh

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 04:03:53 am »

to vigourously compose

Spelling. Split infinitive.

:-)

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 04:31:57 am »

Oh, for Christ's sake!

Best, most concise comment on this matter yet!

Were I rich, owned this site, by now I'd have simply disconnected; who needs this shit? Were I rich, I doubt I'd be spending time on the Internet at all. Were but that I were rich!

;-)

Rob
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up