Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: The Changing Landscape  (Read 72589 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: The Changing Landscape
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2019, 01:04:48 am »

Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

adri

« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2019, 05:45:08 am »

Sad news indeed, and surprising.

A fond farewell to Chris, who did so much behind the camera and, I suspect, behind the scenes to keep things running.

And a grateful thanks to Kevin: stepping into Michael’s place could not have been easy. What cannot be denied is your good nature and your tireless enthusiam for photography. Your love of the craft came through in every video and article ... even if not every camera was a DP Quattro Pro :)

Ken

I give me a break; why always pissing on Sigma cameras?

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2019, 09:12:19 am »

I give me a break; why always pissing on Sigma cameras?

I believe he is referring to a funny on-camera moment between my father and Kevin. Camera in question is central. I could be wrong.
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Ian99

« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2019, 02:06:14 pm »

Changes are coming and I would like to add a few comments. I look at this site almost every day but post very little. This is because I come here to learn – techniques, styles, ideas, you name it, from a large group of like minded people. This site exists because people respect the others on the site and the management, and they feel that contributing is a worthwhile activity with its own rewards.

With that in mind I join with all the others who have offered their thanks and best wishes to Chris and Kevin, and I wish them well for the future.

But respect needs to be earned and the people here by and large offer huge amounts of evidence of their work and a long history of photographic talent. People like that want to relate to similar people. Forum posts and articles come here because it is a place to share knowledge.

It then becomes appropriate to review the background of the new management and I found a website from October 2017 promoting a meditational event hosted by Irene Cortes and Josh Reichman:

https://readymag.com/u57659439/831053/

They describe themselves as:

“About your hosts

Irene Cortes is a mother and longtime student of meditation, qigong and gongfu. She has studied the danjeon breathing tradition and seon meditation in Korea with masters in daily practice and in retreat, mentored in Shaolin xinyiba while living with Sifu Wu Nan Fang and his family in China and is a close student of Tibetan high lama Acharya Zasep Tulku Rinpoche.

Josh Reichman is a father and has been in recovery for over 13 years and is a student of Tibetan Mahayana Buddhism. Josh is a counselor practicing Contemplative Psychotherapy with a focus on addiction, offering meditation instruction and various spiritual healing practices.”

I don’t know about you but I am personally thrilled to contemplate a future for Lula unencumbered by classical photographic knowledge. Several of our most voluble forum denizens could do with spiritual healing and I can see thousands of respected photographers fighting for the privilege of contributing in a more contemplative framework.

Quite sincerely I look forward to learning a more meditative style of photography and I cannot wait to see the impact of danjeon breathing on camera reviews.

But I offer a warning. As a long time business consultant grossly overeducated with multiple degrees in real subjects, it seems to me that the accumulated respect that keeps this site going could disappear overnight unless managed carefully. Assuming Lula is a profitable enterprise I can see little that would stop Kevin and/or Chris from copying the concept and creating a Rockhoppalula or something similar.

My 2 cents.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2019, 02:20:24 pm »

Assuming Lula is a profitable enterprise I can see little that would stop Kevin and/or Chris from copying the concept and creating a Rockhoppalula or something similar.

Rockhoppalula with the "On The Rocks" episodes would most likely cater to a different audience.

James Clark

« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2019, 03:07:15 pm »

Changes are coming and I would like to add a few comments. I look at this site almost every day but post very little. This is because I come here to learn – techniques, styles, ideas, you name it, from a large group of like minded people. This site exists because people respect the others on the site and the management, and they feel that contributing is a worthwhile activity with its own rewards.

With that in mind I join with all the others who have offered their thanks and best wishes to Chris and Kevin, and I wish them well for the future.

But respect needs to be earned and the people here by and large offer huge amounts of evidence of their work and a long history of photographic talent. People like that want to relate to similar people. Forum posts and articles come here because it is a place to share knowledge.

It then becomes appropriate to review the background of the new management and I found a website from October 2017 promoting a meditational event hosted by Irene Cortes and Josh Reichman:

https://readymag.com/u57659439/831053/

They describe themselves as:

“About your hosts

Irene Cortes is a mother and longtime student of meditation, qigong and gongfu. She has studied the danjeon breathing tradition and seon meditation in Korea with masters in daily practice and in retreat, mentored in Shaolin xinyiba while living with Sifu Wu Nan Fang and his family in China and is a close student of Tibetan high lama Acharya Zasep Tulku Rinpoche.

Josh Reichman is a father and has been in recovery for over 13 years and is a student of Tibetan Mahayana Buddhism. Josh is a counselor practicing Contemplative Psychotherapy with a focus on addiction, offering meditation instruction and various spiritual healing practices.”

I don’t know about you but I am personally thrilled to contemplate a future for Lula unencumbered by classical photographic knowledge. Several of our most voluble forum denizens could do with spiritual healing and I can see thousands of respected photographers fighting for the privilege of contributing in a more contemplative framework.

Quite sincerely I look forward to learning a more meditative style of photography and I cannot wait to see the impact of danjeon breathing on camera reviews.

But I offer a warning. As a long time business consultant grossly overeducated with multiple degrees in real subjects, it seems to me that the accumulated respect that keeps this site going could disappear overnight unless managed carefully. Assuming Lula is a profitable enterprise I can see little that would stop Kevin and/or Chris from copying the concept and creating a Rockhoppalula or something similar.

My 2 cents.

Well aren't you special.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2019, 03:39:50 pm »

Rockhoppalula with the "On The Rocks" episodes would most likely cater to a different audience.

Different audience, Les? Are you assuming some sort of New Puritans backlash against consuming alcohol? Or is it because it is on the rocks? Would serving it neat alleviate the concern?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2019, 03:52:38 pm »

Nothing wrong with visual images of amber-coloured liquids or red-cheeked and cheerful presenters.
I was referring more to the content. I'd take instead Charlie Cramer musing in the woods and playing piano anytime.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2019, 04:10:28 pm »

... I cannot wait to see the impact of danjeon breathing on camera reviews...

I do not know about camera reviews, but it might be a huge help in hand-held shots.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: January 17, 2019, 04:50:44 pm »

I do not know about camera reviews, but it might be a huge help in hand-held shots.

Actually true.

FYI Irene works in computer imaging. You know, photography, but with ... computers.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2019, 05:05:12 pm »

...FYI Irene works in computer imaging. You know, photography, but with ... computers.

Aren’t we all these days.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2019, 05:19:17 pm »

You must know some holdouts?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2019, 06:18:10 pm »

Quote from: josh.reichmann on Today at 04:50:44 PM
...FYI Irene works in computer imaging. You know, photography, but with ... computers.

Yeah, but some of her photogrammetry images could be bigger than yours.

Rand47

« Reply #253 on: January 18, 2019, 11:19:28 am »

. . . I can see little that would stop Kevin and/or Chris from copying the concept and creating . . .

One can only hope . . .

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Rado

« Reply #254 on: January 18, 2019, 11:50:39 am »

I have to say I'm enjoying the new material published on the main site.

Two23

« Reply #255 on: January 18, 2019, 12:07:11 pm »

You must know some holdouts?

For the past year I've been concentrating on using dry plates and lenses from either the 1850s or 1910s.  Even I scan the plates and finish in CC.  This year I hope to learn wet plate with goal of making contact prints.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

jeremyrh

« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2019, 12:47:08 pm »

I have to say I'm enjoying the new material published on the main site.

Likewise. A welcome change from Sony ads and apple cider philosophies.

SveinE

« Reply #257 on: January 30, 2019, 09:04:08 am »

Like many others I'm a surprised by the change. I certainly dont need all the details and reasons behind the change, but a bit more openness about what's happening would have been nice as the people behind the site are so much more visible than on most other photo sites.

Anyway, good luck the new management and I hope we'll continue to see interesting content. 

rmazzi

« Reply #258 on: January 30, 2019, 06:15:43 pm »

I rarely post, and when I do, its usually for help on an issue.  These forums have always been incredibly useful for a rank amateur like me.  Huge knowledge in the community and an incredible willingness to share information.  I hope that never changes. 

As a newbie, but have been on the site for quite a few years, I have taken more than given in knowledge.  LuLa has been my source of education and inspiration for photography.  I am forever grateful to the late founder and all the current and past contributors.

The changes were abrupt and disconcerting, but I quickly got over that.  Looking forward here are some of the things I hope to see or not see on LuLa in the future.  This is just input, do what you will with it and other input, but I will continue to be a member.  I figure this particular thread is a good place to provide the input. 

I have enjoyed the new artists featured and hope to see that continue to expand in variety.  I am sure to love some and hate others, but learning comes from listening to different points of view. 

I gained a lot from the videos like the masters series (e.g. William Neill, Charlie Cramer).  I hope there are some new video interviews and topics to complement the essays.  Stand alone video interviews with some of the new emerging artists would be great as well as videos with more established masters.

I don't see much value in spending time with camera reviews.  There is so much out there already.  Leave discussion on new equipment in the forums.  However there may be some products that aren't covered, but are really useful for the creative process and technique. 

I have liked the emphasis on producing prints as part of the photographic process.  I don't consider a photo finished for me until it is printed.  Continuing to provide information on papers, ink, technologies, alternative printing methods, etc. would be great.  Special shout out to Mark Segal - his depth of knowledge on printing and scanning is incredible and he is a star in offering advice and help in the forums.  I hope he continues to contribute.

Finally, as much a question as a comment:  Where does Youtube fit into the LuLa strategy?  I wasn't clear on what value was added when that started and it can degrade the value of the LuLa site.  I would rather come here, than spend time on Youtube being bombarded with the latest Johnny Carson clip or other click bait on Youtube.

Thanks for listening.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #259 on: January 30, 2019, 06:33:00 pm »

Useful comment,
Much appreciated

Josh
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28   Go Up