Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shutting Down Auto Cleaning at Startup - P7000  (Read 1465 times)

Garnick

Shutting Down Auto Cleaning at Startup - P7000
« on: December 22, 2018, 04:12:16 pm »

Hello all,

As usual, when I setup my new P7000 in July 2017, one of the first Settings I visited was the Auto Nozzle Check/Cleaning and checked the OFF box.  Even at that there were still occasions when the Auto Cleaning would take place at startup, which I mentioned here at that time.  It was then pointed out that the startup cleaning cycle will still happen occasionally regardless of the OFF setting, so I conformed to that information.  I hadn't seen it happen again for a while and then in January this year it started to happen.  At one point I was simply fed up with it and as soon it started a second consecutive clean cycle I simply shut down the printer.  I admit I that I had my doubts that was a good way to approach such a situation, but it certainly did avoid the second repeated clean cycle in that case.  I haven't noticed such Auto CC's again until a few days ago, which have probably been instigated due to lack of use and lower RH.  Yesterday I had quite a lot of printing to do and it took a while to get all f the channels fully function-able.  Once I had finished the volume of printing I ran another nozzle check and it was perfect, so I shut down the printer.  A couple of hours go I started up the printer and again yet another Auto Clean Cycle.  I was poised to shut down the printer if a second CC was about to start, but that did not happen.  After the Auto CC I ran a nozzle check and both the LK and the LC channels had gaps.  Since I had no printing to do I shut down the printer.  I will probably not be starting it up again until after Christmas, at which time my finger will be hovering over the shutdown button in the event that a startup CC tries to initiate again.

Now two questions, one of which I have posted here quite long time ago I believe.

1. - Is there perhaps a better/proper way of shutting down an Auto Clean Cycle as it's about to start?  I certainly wouldn't try that once it is any further than perhaps 2% maximum.

2. - For some time I have toyed with the idea of introducing a tray containing a soaked sponge in the left end of the printer where there is room to do so.  Reason of course is to perhaps keep the RH a bit higher
      than it would normally be during the winter months.  I would of course use distilled water in the sponge to prevent any build up of minerals.  Has anyone tried this procedure, and if so what was the outcome?
      Also, can anyone offer a possible downside to this sort of installation?

Any information or opinions will be happily accepted  :)

Gary   

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Shutting Down Auto Cleaning at Startup - P7000
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 04:35:07 pm »

Gary, I don't know whether the firmware for the 7000 behaves similarly that of the 5000, but just in case they are similar, here is relevant information for the 5000. There are two nozzle checking and cleaning tracks built into the printer: one that you can control and another one that you cannot control. The one you can control allows you to let the printer run an auto-check and commission up to 3 rounds (at your choice of 1, 2, or 3 in the LCD menu) of checking and cleaning in sequence, at the end of which all nozzles may or may not be clean depending. You check that with a nozzle check and commission additional cleaning if there are still gaps. But this is unusual. The one you cannot control periodically just starts a cleaning cycle when you turn on the printer regardless of what you have turned off. I have found this normally triggers when the printer has not been used for several days or more. After it finishes I print a nozzle check. Usually, after the printer runs one of these episodes the nozzles are clean. Then there is another thing that happens with the 5000: every six months or so the LCD will ask the user to perform a Power Clean of all channels from the Admin menu. This consumes about 70ml of ink. Epson Pro tech support advises it is there to preserve the overall health of the printhead. One doesn't need to run it in order to continue printing, but one is advised to, and the nag message stays in the LCD until one does so.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 06:01:37 pm »

Gary, I don't know whether the firmware for the 7000 behaves similarly that of the 5000, but just in case they are similar, here is relevant information for the 5000. There are two nozzle checking and cleaning tracks built into the printer: one that you can control and another one that you cannot control. The one you can control allows you to let the printer run an auto-check and commission up to 3 rounds (at your choice of 1, 2, or 3 in the LCD menu) of checking and cleaning in sequence, at the end of which all nozzles may or may not be clean depending. You check that with a nozzle check and commission additional cleaning if there are still gaps. But this is unusual. The one you cannot control periodically just starts a cleaning cycle when you turn on the printer regardless of what you have turned off. I have found this normally triggers when the printer has not been used for several days or more. After it finishes I print a nozzle check. Usually, after the printer runs one of these episodes the nozzles are clean. Then there is another thing that happens with the 5000: every six months or so the LCD will ask the user to perform a Power Clean of all channels from the Admin menu. This consumes about 70ml of ink. Epson Pro tech support advises it is there to preserve the overall health of the printhead. One doesn't need to run it in order to continue printing, but one is advised to, and the nag message stays in the LCD until one does so.

Thanks Mark,

I was aware of most of this information, but always good to be reminded regardless.  As mentioned, I had been advised that the startup cleaning cycle will happen periodically, regardless of turning the Auto Cleaning OFF in the Printer Settings Menu.  "The one you can control allows you to let the printer run an auto-check and commission up to 3 rounds (at your choice of 1, 2, or 3 in the LCD menu"  This one I have never seen, which I imagine is due to the fact that I always turn the Auto Clean OFF and therefore never venture into the section that would offer these alternatives.  "every six months or so the LCD will ask the user to perform a Power Clean of all channels from the Admin menu.  I've never seen this notification either, but I imagine I would ignore it regardless.  In my humble opinion this has more to do with the health of Epson Inc. than the printhead, but of course that's probably my everlasting cynicism in action.  I suppose I should perhaps do more research into this part.

Thanks again,

Gary

Gary N.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 07:05:43 pm »

Well, first I'd suggest a bit of research is to find out whether any of this also applies to the P7000. I simply don't know.

I don't believe the Epson engineers are engaged in some kind of technical subterfuge to make us buy more ink. Most of the people buying these machines use them rather heavily so 70ml of maintenance ink in 6 months is a drop in the bucket for them and for Epson. They know the design of this printer better than you or I ever will, and if this is what they and their service network recommends, I would accept it in good faith.

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 07:35:20 pm »

Well, first I'd suggest a bit of research is to find out whether any of this also applies to the P7000. I simply don't know.

I don't believe the Epson engineers are engaged in some kind of technical subterfuge to make us buy more ink. Most of the people buying these machines use them rather heavily so 70ml of maintenance ink in 6 months is a drop in the bucket for them and for Epson. They know the design of this printer better than you or I ever will, and if this is what they and their service network recommends, I would accept it in good faith.

You do make a good point Mark, and I will check the Settings again to see if the multiple cleanings are available in the P7000 firmware.  Not that I would ever use them, but it would perhaps be good to know that they are available in case I decide to access that particular alternative.  I am and have been an Epson user for many years, but it's still a difficult bone to chew when Epson cannot seem to produce a printhead that will keep itself clean without dumping a lot of ink in the process.  I'm sure you wouldn't remember the forum space I used back in 2010 after I took possession of the SP9900 and the issues that plagued it to the point where I had no option but to renew the warranty to its limit of 3 years.  Three new printheads, various cleaning stations etc. etc. within the first year.  I still have the 105 page log in Word that I kept while "breaking in" the 9900 and becoming quite familiar with the D1 techs, some in whom I had very little confidence.  By the end of the second year the 9900 was behaving as expected and did so until Jan. 2016 when Mark Noden replaced the printhead.  I wish I could get in touch with Mark again now, but the contact info I had doesn't seem to be current and I probably wouldn't want to bother him regardless.  A great guy and a terrific tech.  Of course you know all about that Mark.

Thanks for the replies and information Mark.

Have a GREAT Christmas and Healthy and Happy New Year !¡!  :) !¡!

Gary         
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:39:05 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 07:37:59 pm »

Likewise Gary, happy holiday season and all the best for 2019.
Pages: [1]   Go Up