Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hockey, Anyone?  (Read 852 times)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Hockey, Anyone?
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:58:53 am »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Hockey, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 12:02:41 pm »

Nice!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 12:03:28 pm »

Nice. Reminds me of my childhood playing pond hockey in Michigan. Although our goals were just some sticks or rocks.
-MattB

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 12:39:31 pm »

Now that's minimal  with a very powerful narrative.

Peter

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 12:41:12 pm »

Now that's minimal  with a very powerful narrative.

Peter

+1
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

John R

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 02:03:07 pm »

Very nice. Like Oscar said, evocative.

JR

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 04:09:50 pm »

Very nice. Like Oscar Peter said, evocative.

JR
Regards,
~ O ~

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 06:52:39 pm »

Thank you, everyone. This is just a mile from my house but I have no idea who put the net there, nor have I ever seen kids playing hockey. Kudos though, for them planning ahead for the extraction with the chain & rope. It adds a little comedy to the scene, I think.
 :)

Dave
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 06:56:53 pm by dchew »

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 05:53:34 am »

Excellent.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 06:46:16 am »

meaningful exposure and attention grabbing detail are infintely more important than correct exposure and high-resolution detail!
(Da Beat, circa 2018)

I can't get over the fact how much I like this image really.

Goalsetting is exactly what sets humans apart in nature, perfectly depicted in this image with nature stenciled vaguely in the background as foundation layer for a dominantly placed attention grabbing detail that catches the eye and focuses the thought of the viewer to its very meaning: to intercept a well-aimed puck.

Perfect metaphor, with so many layers and yet, so few elements. Just enough detail to tell the entire story. No more, no less. No overstatement or exaggeration, neither in saturation nor in contrast. A visual haiku, including seasonal reference. In a world filled with visual dissonance, this is exactly what I expect from traditional photography in the 21st century. Razorsharp focus on story with the least amount of elements. A masterful image on all accounts.

There is btw a certain sense of irony in this image as well, considering the veracity with which some forummembers keep telling us about correct exposure. This image for me is the quintessential image that shows that “meaningful” exposure and attention grabbing detail are infinitely more important than “correct” exposure and high resolution detail, even though, oh irony, Dave has access to all the proper mf gear. (Whether mf gear was actually used for this image is entirely moot as far as i'm concerned.)

Regards,
~ O ~

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 08:11:54 am »

I can't get over the fact how much I like this image really.

Goalsetting is exactly what sets humans apart in nature, perfectly depicted in this image with nature stenciled vaguely in the background as foundation layer for a dominantly placed attention grabbing detail that catches the eye and focuses the thought of the viewer to its very meaning: to intercept a well-aimed puck.

Perfect metaphor, with so many layers and yet, so few elements. Just enough detail to tell the entire story. No more, no less. No overstatement or exaggeration, neither in saturation nor in contrast. A visual haiku, including seasonal reference. In a world filled with visual dissonance, this is exactly what I expect from traditional photography in the 21st century. Razorsharp focus on story with the least amount of elements. A masterful image on all accounts.

There is btw a certain sense of irony in this image as well, considering the veracity with which some forummembers keep telling us about correct exposure. This image for me is the quintessential image that shows that “meaningful” exposure and attention grabbing detail are infinitely more important than “correct” exposure and high resolution detail, even though, oh irony, Dave has access to all the proper mf gear. (Whether mf gear was actually used for this image is entirely moot as far as i'm concerned.)
You nailed it, ~O~!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 09:23:20 am »

I can't get over the fact how much I like this image really...
Oscar,
Thank you for taking the time and care to comment. Your insight is much appreciated. I passed by this pond for several weeks, intrigued with the goal sitting there lonely but patient. The melting ice, fog and sinking net finally came together after a warm spell (you can probably tell the net has sunk several inches into the ice). Like Matt in his comment above, I have fond memories of skating around on local ponds with their characteristically rough ice. Our biggest concern as kids was an errant shot or deflection sending the puck into unfrozen areas where the ducks and geese hung out. We had very few pucks in our arsenal, and losing one into open water was down right catastrophic!

Ciao,

Dave

p2images

• P2 Images
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 12:27:09 pm »

Bravo! I really like this! Nice composition!
Thank you,
Stephen Dubois

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 01:13:06 pm »

This thread should have been locked after Oscar's comments. What more is there left to say after that? :)

P.S. This is a compliment to both the image and Oscar

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 10:09:48 pm »

Top image. Composition is lovely. I can add no more to what Oscar has said. What a treasure.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up