Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 Help  (Read 2541 times)

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Z3200 Help
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 02:29:48 am »

Ethernet versus USB connection on the printer?

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

PaulStL

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 11:51:50 pm »

Ernst:  Ethernet

Mark:  You may have opened a can of worms for me.  The firmware version on my printer is TR12-RB_16.0.0.1.  When I go to HP's website and select OS X, it shows TR12-RB_16_00_01-1 for version B and TR12-RB_15.0.0.2 for version A.  My printer is a version A so I'm not sure if there's a typo for the A version or whether the previous owner somehow managed to install Rev B firmware on a Rev A.  I'm thinking it might be a typo because if you select Windows as your OS on the HP website, the file names are identical (although their sizes differ by 0.2 MB).  Any thoughts?

Regarding uninstalling the printer and drivers, am I trying to do this from within the HP Utility?  When I have the Z selected in the utility, the menu item to remove the device is grayed out and so is the minus sign under the device list.  Also, regarding the procedure you recommended, are you referring to the latest utility or one of the older ones (on Snow Leopard/Tiger)?  I've seen a post of yours that talked about HP giveth and HP taketh in regard to features so I'm not sure whether you can get the color measurement features with the latest or just older versions.

I'm going to try to nail this down on the Mac (my primary OS) but I did figure out an alternative way (maybe) to use the color measurement features.  When I was snooping firmware versions, I downloaded the drivers and utility for Win 7 and installed them on my Win 7 install via VMWare Fusion.  All of the color measurement features were there.  I was able to export color charts as a TIFF for external printing.  Unfortunately I didn't have time to print and measure or print for later measurement.  I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Also, the Windows version of the HP Utility has more features than the Mac version including and possibly most importantly, the ability to reprint previous jobs.  Any observations on your part?

Finally, my notes indicate that my Mavericks version of the utility is 5.37.1, Snow Leopard installed 5.19.2 and Tiger (10.4) installs 4.7.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 10:20:54 am »

Mark:  You may have opened a can of worms for me.  The firmware version on my printer is TR12-RB_16.0.0.1.  When I go to HP's website and select OS X, it shows TR12-RB_16_00_01-1 for version B and TR12-RB_15.0.0.2 for version A.  My printer is a version A so I'm not sure if there's a typo for the A version or whether the previous owner somehow managed to install Rev B firmware on a Rev A.  I'm thinking it might be a typo because if you select Windows as your OS on the HP website, the file names are identical (although their sizes differ by 0.2 MB).  Any thoughts?

Regarding firmware, it has become apparent that HP has updated the Windows firmware more frequently than the Mac firmware.  Since you are using Windows on a VMWare machine, you could download the latest Windows firmware on your machine.  I have done it and it works fine.
The latest firmware is TR12-RB_16_00_00-1_mvl40-x86-opt_B (even though it is downloaded as Rev A) I know - weird.

Regarding uninstalling the printer and drivers, am I trying to do this from within the HP Utility?  When I have the Z selected in the utility, the menu item to remove the device is grayed out and so is the minus sign under the device list. 

So you look in your applications folder and there will be a folder called HP. In that folder is an app called HP Uninstaller.  If you use that, it will uninstall all your printers, Utility, everything, and give you the opportunity to start from scratch.

When I have run HP uninstaller, afterwards, I go to system preferences and then to printers, then check the plus sign to add a printer.  The printer comes up from the list and a driver is suggested.  I check OK.

Once the printer is added system preferences, while still in system preferences, printers, there is a "open printer Queue" and in the Queue, "open Utility".  If you click that, the Utility will open automagically.  Use the option to keep Utility in the Dock.  You should be good to go.

I'm going to try to nail this down on the Mac (my primary OS) but I did figure out an alternative way (maybe) to use the color measurement features.  When I was snooping firmware versions, I downloaded the drivers and utility for Win 7 and installed them on my Win 7 install via VMWare Fusion.  All of the color measurement features were there.  I was able to export color charts as a TIFF for external printing.  Unfortunately I didn't have time to print and measure or print for later measurement.  I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Also, the Windows version of the HP Utility has more features than the Mac version including and possibly most importantly, the ability to reprint previous jobs.  Any observations on your part?

OK.  VMWare and WINDOWS.  YES.  The windows HP Utility and color center are more full featured than the Mac, and works better IMO.  If your VMWare Windows Utility is working correctly, leave it alone. I do use Windows 10 on VMWare and I use it for many things, particularly making profiles. Still, I go back and forth between HP Utilities Mac and Windows to do certain things.

If you have questions about reinstalling the printer, please see my previous post.  You do this from system preferences, NOT from the HP Utility.
Once you install the suggested software, you use the HP Utility that is properly paired with the printer.

Just get to the Utility as I have explained, and the printer will automatically be in there.

Best,

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up