Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 11880 Error 1A39  (Read 1177 times)

smikkelmit22

Epson 11880 Error 1A39
« on: November 30, 2018, 10:16:20 am »

Hi,

I started my epson 11880 this morning. Out of nowere there was a error message saying: "1A39"

It's a bit strange, yesterday when i went home, everything was working and fine. While firing up today, this message popped up.

At first i thought: i will just reboot. But still same error message.

Checking the manual, it says :"Replace printhead" Which i'm not too happy about, the price of the printhead is insane.

Anyone experience with this issue? Something i can try?

Thanks much!

Terry_Kennedy

Re: Epson 11880 Error 1A39
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 05:15:59 pm »

At first i thought: i will just reboot. But still same error message.

Checking the manual, it says :"Replace printhead" Which i'm not too happy about, the price of the printhead is insane.

Anyone experience with this issue? Something i can try?

I don't have an 11880, but based on experience with similar models:

1) Unplug it from power and let it sit overnight or longer, then plug it back in and see if it recovers.

2) 1A3x errors can happen if the ribbon cables from the chassis to the printhead get skewed in the connectors or damaged due to movement. Unless this is a rare case of "sudden death" of electronics, I'd suspect something mechanical with the cables.

3) It may not be the print head. It could be the cables as mentioned above, or a main board failure. I'd be wary of throwing an expensive print head at it that might not fix the issue (and it is a lot of [messy] work to discover that). You might want to see what Epson says, and (if you're in the US) try to get an estimate from D1 for an "official" print head replacement service call, to compare with the prices of the Chinese print heads. Consider how much you have invested in inks for this printer and think about whether it makes more sense to try fixing it vs. selling it for parts and getting a newer printer. Epson's discount offer this month on the P20K is $500 off list and a free 2-year extended maintenance plan via rebate ($1995).

smikkelmit22

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 01:20:55 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I just bought the service manual, which says :" The active signal of Head error has been detected."

Looking at your reply: "cables from the chassis to the printhead get skewed in the connectors or damaged due to movement"

That would be possible. I decided to just buy a new printhead cable. If that doesn't work, i'm not sure if i'm willing to spend so much money on a printhead.

Sad part, it seems the Epson 11880 parts are very hard to find. There is a website that used to sell the parts. Trying to reach www.sdott-parts.com. But the website seems to be offline or something.

Difficult situation.

Terry_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 08:03:22 pm »

I just bought the service manual, which says :" The active signal of Head error has been detected."

Yes.

Looking at your reply: "cables from the chassis to the printhead get skewed in the connectors or damaged due to movement"
That would be possible. I decided to just buy a new printhead cable.

You may have ordered a different cable than I meant, but it doesn't really matter. Just look at the connections on the printhead (should be 4 flat ribbon cables, probably white). These go into a "Y" and then 2 larger cables plug into the "sub board" which is part of the head / carriage assembly. It is unlikely that those cables will fail as they're not really subject to flexing, but they may have worked loose over time. The 3 long flat ribbon cables that go from the sub board to the main board are what I'd suspect, if it was wear and tear and not a dislodged end. Those 3 go from the head and make a big "U" bend in the carriage (usually following the ink lines, but I don't have an 11880 here to check) and get flexed every time the carriage moves (hundreds of times per print, at a minimum). Check to make sure the ends going into the sub board are fully seated in the connectors. I wouldn't suspect the connectors on the main board, as those cables are anchored to the printer frame long before they get to the main board. But carefully look for any wear and tear along the cables for the whole length of the "U" bend and up onto the sub board.

If that doesn't work, i'm not sure if i'm willing to spend so much money on a printhead.

I understand. Particularly if it may not fix the problem (which is why I suggested contacting Epson / D1) - they may be able to determine what is wrong for the price of a service call, and if it isn't the head (either the sub board or the main board should be less than the head) you can decide whether to proceed or not. I haven't used D1 out-of-warranty, so I don't know if they'll give you that kind of estimate, or if the'll just say "we'll fix the printer, but you have to pay what we say, no matter how expensive".

A lot would also depend on the value of consumables you have on hand (extra inks, maintenance tanks, other parts) that aren't compatible with the new printer you'd buy, unless you can sell them to someone else. Normally, I don't order P10K supplies until I get down to 50%, so I only have one ink cartridge (VLM) and one maintenance tank on hand. I've been burned in the past by stocking up on supplies for older printers and not being able to offload them for any reasonable sum once the printers died.

Another issue would be compatibility of 3rd-party ink systems (if you use those) with a newer model of printer. AFAIK, the P20K doesn't have any aftermarket support except for waste tanks.

Sad part, it seems the Epson 11880 parts are very hard to find. There is a website that used to sell the parts. Trying to reach www.sdott-parts.com. But the website seems to be offline or something.

I noticed that. I don't know if it was a "we forgot to renew the domain", if they went out of business, or if the web site was taken down. You could try emailing "helen at sdott d0t com" (obfuscated to deter spam-bots) which is the address I've received mail from in the past. It is on a different registrar (hichina) than sdott-parts (godaddy). That may or may not work.

smikkelmit22

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 11:22:04 am »

Hi,

Good news, problem is solved.

I was able to get the printhead from sign in china. They delivered it within 5 days.

The reason i decided to get a new head, was because the printer only did 1000 m2. My other 11880 printed over 6000 m2 and is still running.

After placing the new printhead, the error message was gone.

I'm not that technical, but with the service manual from Epson, also available at sign in china, it was a easy task to do. If anyone needs the manual, feel free to reach out.

Thanks for all the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up