Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of selling, where to look for suitable prices?  (Read 1475 times)

Endeavour

Thinking of selling, where to look for suitable prices?
« on: December 14, 2018, 03:43:00 pm »

My priorities have shifted and I think I am going to sell my existing Hasselblad gear - (but I would like to look at an X1D in the future)

I dont photograph people anymore but I will want to keep on shooting landscapes for sale, so think it makes sense to consolodate my gear

I currently have remaining:
H1D
P30+
HC 50-110
HC80

I would love to use the above as a chunk of cash towards an X1D setup. Because I'm going to be shooting only landscapes, I think the X1D offers a nice practical solution

Unfortunately the HC lenses I have are too old to be upgraded for use on the X1D, so it makes sense to get rid of the lot as I'll need to buy a lens as well as the body.

I would have opted for a P65+ (if I could ever find one for sale for an H mount)

so with all that said, where is a good resource for working out asking prices? and is it best to try and sell as a complete kit or are people most likely want to pick over the items?

Thanks
Simon
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:48:51 pm by Endeavour »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Thinking of selling, where to look for suitable prices?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 03:52:29 pm »

Mate, ebay is the place to buy and sell anything. It is the global marketplace.

If you are going to be shooting landscapes and astro then you will be manual focussing anyway and your existing HC lenses are fine on the X1D. The HC80 is even manageable handheld. I use the Canon TSE24 at the moment. i don't have any XCD lenses.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Endeavour

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 03:58:16 pm »

oh, it's just AF which doesnt work on the older HC lenses on the X1D?

ebay is so heavily stacked against the seller, I've been wary of it in the past. I've heard horror stories from friends where buyer has demanded full refund for the slightest issue and paypal/ebay find in their favour and somehow they never manage to send back the item so you lose both

also, Im certainly not enthusiastic about putting my kit up and see someone snag it for $30  :-\

faberryman

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 04:50:55 pm »

oh, it's just AF which doesnt work on the older HC lenses on the X1D?

ebay is so heavily stacked against the seller, I've been wary of it in the past. I've heard horror stories from friends where buyer has demanded full refund for the slightest issue and paypal/ebay find in their favour and somehow they never manage to send back the item so you lose both

also, Im certainly not enthusiastic about putting my kit up and see someone snag it for $30  :-\
eBay is a good place to find a range of realistic prices, then, if you don't want to use eBay, you can find an alternate avenue to sell.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:54:40 pm by faberryman »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 04:51:14 pm »

Yes, it is only AF that does not work for HC lenses on the X1D.

I have sold over 200 items on ebay, many for $1000s all over the world.
You have seller protection if you follow the basic rules and only ship to registered PayPal addresses.
Always have lots of pictures showing any defects and ship with tracking and a signature.

Most "stories" from friends are rubbish. If the buyer disputes something then it has to go to resolution.
If you list it at $0.99 to avoid paying listing fees then you can't complain if it goes for $0.99.
List it at a price you are prepared to sell it at.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Endeavour

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 04:57:19 pm »

you're both right. thanks for the replies

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 08:09:16 pm »

you're both right. thanks for the replies

As I’m known not to be the sharpest knife in the box, may I state the obvious? You can list here in buy/sell and on getdpi, for free as far as I know. You can also post a WTB for a P65+ or contact the usual suspects ie Doug Peterson and Steve Hendrix to see whether they have what you are looking for, and will give you a tradein.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 06:06:33 am »

My experience of eBay is the same as Bob's, many items sold with no problems. I've also sold here on LuLa without problems.

tcdeveau

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 08:51:38 am »

Regardless of selling venue, if you’re curious about prices, searching eBay for the items you want to sell, and looking for the “completed listings” often will give you and idea of what items are selling for and what people are paying for them.

I’ve had no problems with eBay too. As long as you follow the rules generally you’re ok, but yes, it can be easy for a buyer to return something. Just make sure it’s described accurately. I’ve also sold on GetDPI without issue. If you sell via eBay, just beware they will take 10% off the top of the sale for their fee, and you’ll lose another 3% to PayPal. Occasionally you can find deals and coupons to halve or eliminate the sellers fees. Forums can be more seller friendly in that regard, but of course forum sales don’t reach as large an audience. Good luck!

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 10:43:09 am »

It may sound obvious but it can pay to target the specific audience. I'll typically advertise Hasselblad items in a Hasselblad forum, Leica items in a Leica forum.... It's worked for me.

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 01:21:30 pm »

Bundling vs not bundling depends on the items. In my experience, bundling works best, if one of your items is highly desirable and will make people overpay for your other items, or if your items are usually bought together as it reduces uncertainty and hassle for the buyers. It is least likely to work if one of the items is a niche item that is mainly bought by people who already have your other items. In any case, it is a good idea to do a rough calculation based on the sold items on ebay.

I have had some "bad" experiences where buyers have returned items with the excuse that they were not as described. You lose the shipping cost, but I just write that off as the cost of doing business on ebay. Check out other forums or message boards, too. GetDPI was mentioned, or target a particular buyer group as Keith has suggested. It may pay off, especially given the ebay fees, but you may lose whatever seller protection ebay offers.

If you decide to sell on ebay watch the market for a bit. It seems that some items come on in waves, and you don't want to compete against too many other sellers. Have a starting bid you are comfortable to sell at, and you should be fine. Personally I would avoid the invisible reserve price. If people are bidding incrementally, you might not sell an item that would have sold with an equivalent starting bid.
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

Endeavour

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 06:53:16 pm »

thanks for the advice

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 08:27:23 pm »

It may sound obvious but it can pay to target the specific audience.
...snip...

Maybe he just did  ;D
He has 295 posts here which would indicate that he knows where to find buy/sell and ebay, without our help.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up