Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper trimmer recommendations  (Read 4388 times)

mfrohman

Re: Paper trimmer recommendations
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 02:48:46 pm »

Thanks for the pics, that seems like a very good idea.

Any thoughts on buying a used Rotatrim? I found a good deal on an M42 so am considering it. Have the models changed at all over time? A lot of people have mentioned that their 30 year old rotatrims still work perfectly. Anything to look out for in a used model?
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800

howardm

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 06:01:28 pm »

they're so simple.  the only things might be..........

dull/chipped cutting wheel or springs
very slightly bent guide rods (carriage might stick on that area)

William Chitham

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 07:15:45 am »

Have the models changed at all over time? A lot of people have mentioned that their 30 year old rotatrims still work perfectly. Anything to look out for in a used model?
When I bought my Technical the rubber grip strip had perished and was leaving marks, cheap part to replace though. Not applicible to the M I think.
William.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 10:08:45 pm »

Thanks for the pics, that seems like a very good idea.

Any thoughts on buying a used Rotatrim? I found a good deal on an M42 so am considering it. Have the models changed at all over time? A lot of people have mentioned that their 30 year old rotatrims still work perfectly. Anything to look out for in a used model?

Depending on what it was cutting you may want to replace the cutter assembly. Just replaced mine after 8 years was $68.50 for cutter wheel, bushings and spring. Cuts like new again.
Test the one you are looking at and if it still gives a good crisp cut no action required.

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 05:30:47 pm »

After a long week (month, year), I'm struggling to think of what else can be refreshed to new for $68.50.

Looking forward to either a new technical, or a second user M42, and a quick call to Sheffield.

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 08:10:05 pm »

I've been getting by with a 48" safety ruler and 4'x8' self healing mat and I've yet to find anything I can cut in my workflow. I had looked at Rotatrim and Dahl trimmers and the combination of cost and space steered me toward the current method.

mfrohman

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 10:01:39 pm »

I ended up ordering an M42 off of ebay for less than $200 and am awaiting it's arrival. Looking forward to see how it compares to using ruler and blade in terms of workflow. I did pick up one of the recommended handheld rotary trimmers in the meantime and do like the feel of it more than the x-acto blades I've been using, and the cuts seems straighter even though the blade doesn't seem quite as sharp and sometimes requires 2 passes. I have the Fiskars but also ordered an Olfa to compare. I'll still end up using rulers and blade for prints larger than 42".
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 10:26:07 pm »

As others point out you can order spare parts for nearly anything that is broken or worn. Before you cut anything you care about, check that the Rotatrim is still squared up. Chop an edge off a sheet of paper, rotate 90 degrees, cut again. Repeating multiple times magnifies the effects of any misalignment. If things are not square, peel the sticker off the top guide, loosen the screws, and adjust carefully.

Our oldest Rotatrims are used for trimming profiling targets. For over ten years, each trimmer made several hundred cuts a day, of which 100 were through 1000 gsm photo board. We've reduced the number of cuts by using more flexible measurement hardware but the only parts we have replaced are the plastic clamp strips. Keep the rails lubricated with a light coat of dry teflon wax and you're set.

howardm

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 07:41:14 am »

To the OP (and others), NEVER lift a Rotatrim by the guide rails (ie. do not use the rails as a carrying/lifting handle)

sportmaster

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 11:34:53 pm »

I have had a 99" Rotatrim and a similar length Keencut rotary trimmer.  Both are excellent machines and were bought used, for under $200 from Craig's List.  If you print big or panoramas and have the space, buy the biggest you can find. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up