Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: broken Canon 6100 - should I get a new printer or fix it?  (Read 965 times)

Moti

broken Canon 6100 - should I get a new printer or fix it?
« on: November 26, 2018, 11:13:41 pm »

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and hope to get some good advice here.  I have a business printing pet portraits mostly on canvas.  I have had my Canon ipf6100 for 9 years or so with very few problems until now (I did have to replace a printhead once).  Now I've been having multiple error codes that point to replacing printheads as well as possibly the multi sensor unit and I'm not even sure if that would fix it all - meanwhile it's been sucking up huge amounts of ink doing the cleaning cycles that I've done to try to fix it which also means I need a bunch of the ink cartridges plus a new maintenance tank.  I'm probably answering my own question here but curious what you would do.  It's holiday season and I have a ton of work to print without a backup printer!  I don't even really know who to go to if I were to try and get this fixed around here (Massachusetts).  Ideas of who I should talk to?

If I don't fix it, what printer should I get to replace it?  I'm considering a smaller wide format might suit me.  Should I stick with Canon? Canon imagePROGRAF Pro-1000 maybe? I need to be able to print on canvas.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Happy Howlidays,
Moti, The Renaissance Pet
www.therenaissancepet.com

Mike Raub

Re: broken Canon 6100 - should I get a new printer or fix it?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 03:09:07 pm »

I'm guessing your printer has reached the end of its useful life and I doubt many would recommend putting much money in a 9 year old printer. There appear to be some good buys right now in large format printers, including about 50% off a 44" HP, which is being replaced by a new model, but still a good printer. Here's one place to look: https://www.adorama.com/l/Printers-and-Scanners/Printers/Wide-Format-Printers

APenza

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 07:40:12 pm »

I have an 8yr old IPF 6200 basically the same printer and just after replacing a new printhead and it stopped printing the magenta ink when performing a nozzle check. Called Canon and they advised calling a service company.  I called and the charge is $150. service call and $150 per hr plus parts. As Canon no longer makes parts for our printers it will cost us $150. just to find out whether it’s worth repairing if cost effective or replacing. I haven’t called service just yet as I would rather try to trouble shoot but can’t find any info relating to my particular problem.
If there is some tech info available I would appreciate knowing where to find it.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 01:37:57 pm »

Are you wanting to stick with Canon and get the newer model that is much more updated with extra features now or look at something else basically?  The iPF6100 might not be worth repairing if you put the money into it and it's not able to be repaired from being discontinued about 3 series ago.  You can put the repair (and diagnosis) costs into a new printer and start fresh with a warranty (in my opinion).

Feel free to contact us with questions on the printers if you're wanting to move that direction vs trying to repair.

IT Supplies

jim t

• jimtsioles photography
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 01:56:58 pm »

If you've only replaced the printhead once in 9 years, just replace it again and stop wasting ink money on all those cleanings. If you are mainly doing canvas prints I would avoid upgrading to a new printer if possible. I've had an IPF8100 for 10 years and always found that the sooner I replace the heads the better. I hope to keep it as long as possible in order to just print large canvas.

On the other hand, I'm very curious how much better my prints on baryta and fine detail papers will look on the latest Epson or Canon printers.

Dan Wells

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 12:18:44 am »

The 6100 is rapidly becoming impossible to drive - it's already incompatible with the newest couple of MacOS releases, and Canon will almost certainly not update the drivers the next time Microsoft changes Windows printing (it does work with current Windows)... It uses two ~$450 heads, which tend to fail together - if you're facing one head replacement, you'll probably lose the other in a few months (if not while changing the first one, which stresses the remaining head).

Time for a new printer... One good option is the great-great grandchild of your printer, the (relatively new) Canon Pro-2000. It has improved gamut across the whole range of colors, while retaining Canon's special strength in the blues. It's faster, and quite a bit easier to feed paper to. It retains the wonderful Canon feature that it doesn't care how often it's used - you can let it sit for months, then run 25 prints in a day, or you can run prints every day (Epsons get mad at you if you don't use them enough)..  It's not quite as long from end to end as the old 6100 (the inks sit essentially above the paper instead of off to the side), but it's substantially heavier and bulkier. That increased bulk means that the pieces that felt a bit flimsy on the 6100 no longer do - although the paper catcher still comes unhooked on occasion... It no longer uses two heads - the one head is somewhere in the $500-$600 range, which is much more palatable than a double head replacement on the old machines. The bulk also means that you have quite a bit of choice in ink sizes - you can use 160ml, 330ml and 700 ml cartridges.  It's a great machine, and not especially expensive (right now, you can get them for a little over $2000 before a $300 mail in rebate - Shades of Paper generally has good pricing on Canon printers). The $2000 printer comes with a $500 head and $1200 worth of ink (essentially, you buy a head and a full set of inks, and you get a 200 lb printer for free...).
Pages: [1]   Go Up