Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HVLP Sprayers  (Read 652 times)

stockjock

HVLP Sprayers
« on: December 04, 2018, 08:40:13 pm »

I want to start trying to apply a glossy coat of Timeless or Eco Shield to my prints.  I don't want to invest in an expensive compressor driven HVLP system.  Has anybody had any luck with the lower end units with the built in motor HVLP gun sprayers?  If so what brand did you use?

Thanks.

Paul

felix5616

Re: HVLP Sprayers
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:34:43 am »

The lower end models, not to be confused with cheap models work fine but are limited as to what material they will spray. With thin materials and the proper size needle/spray tip combo(based on viscosity of the material) you simply set up the proper tip/needle combo and always do a test spray to learn the guns spray character.  I suggest doing a test spray to get the correct feel for the gun and movement.  Check used prices for older smaller fuji models.

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:33:09 am »

I want to start trying to apply a glossy coat of Timeless or Eco Shield to my prints.  I don't want to invest in an expensive compressor driven HVLP system.  Has anybody had any luck with the lower end units with the built in motor HVLP gun sprayers?  If so what brand did you use?

Thanks.

Paul

I have no experience with Eco Shield but have tried Breathing Colors Timeless. First you could have better luck than I did. When I sprayed Timeless I would get a semi rough texture. I switched to Breathing Color Glamour II and having great results applying with a HVLP spray gun. I attribute this to Glamour II having leveling agents and Timeless does not. Timeless dries fast and Glamour II a bit slower. I use a air compressor not a all in one unit like you are asking about so maybe they do better or I am using an incorrect technique with spraying Timeless but thought I would share my experience.

I know some have stated Glamour II takes too long to dry. I could be doing it wrong but I have had no issue yet. I spray horizontal with overlap covering whole print then vertical with overlap whole print calling that a single coat. It is dry to the touch after an hour, I then do another coat. I usually then let it stay on my back board till the next day. Though I have done some mounting of paper coated images after a few hours dry time with no issue yet. I spray both canvas and papers, I believe I have always given canvas an overnight dry time.

Cheers,

Josh
Live the Dream!

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 11:26:35 am »

The low end Wagner HVLP spray guns are quite reasonable in cost and will get the job done, albeit with less bells and whistles, not made/built as well, but will suffice with reasonable care and cleaning.  Some trial and error testing will be needed to adjust the spray (and mixture) making it suitable for even coverage on canvas.  Infinitely easier than rolling canvas!  If you are spraying canvas with regularity, the Fuji systems are excellent.

ken

felix5616

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:01:43 am »

I use a Fuji 4 Platinum edition that i purchased used for a steel. the thing I live about fuji aside from their quality is their exceptional service. Every time I call I speak quickly with support or get a quick call back. Parts for my older gun were available and when I lost my viscosity cup they sent me one free of charge, not even shipping. I would spend a little extra and keep a lookout for older smaller models. I spray matte finish on canvas and get perfect results/ One other note to keep in mind when you spray is a spray booth. I made a home made frame to hold my canvas and allow the overspray to pass through. Now I need to create a vent system with a cheap filter to keep the over spray from getting into the surrounding work area.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:44:08 am »

Fuji may be nice, but pricey. The Wagners are clunky and don't sray a very fine mist. I buy a Harbor Freight Cheapie every year or two when they are on sale for $10.
https://www.amazon.com/Central-Pneumatic-47016-Pressure-Gravity/dp/B004SQS68U/ref=asc_df_B004SQS68U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198077767340&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2102299573337606595&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9024742&hvtargid=pla-373698498407&psc=1

Of course you need a compressor also, but you probably need that for stapling anyway! Just make sure you buy a big enough capacity 3.5-5 CFM.

When spraying, technique is very important, also the viscosity of the material you are spraying. Practice makes perfect. While over priced products like "glamour", etc are good,  I buy mine from a local theatrical supply company for half the price. Been using it for 10 years with good results. Dilute 1 to 1  with water just before putting it in your spray gun. https://www.pnta.com/scenic/coatings/rosco-5580-clear-gloss-acrylic/

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 02:04:55 pm »

I don’t do a whole lot of canvas but have done them for over 15 years. I used a couple of Home Depot Wagners most of that time. Then 3 years ago I got tired of the inconsistent pressure and bought a Fuji.
I felt so stupid the first time I used it for waiting so long. The results were so perfect and fast. I’m sure I wasted more canvas than the cost of the Fuji and a lot of time, and I’m never worried about splatter and
uneven coating.

John

quote author=John Nollendorfs link=topic=127896.msg1081949#msg1081949 date=1544114648]
Fuji may be nice, but pricey. The Wagners are clunky and don't sray a very fine mist. I buy a Harbor Freight Cheapie every year or two when they are on sale for $10.
https://www.amazon.com/Central-Pneumatic-47016-Pressure-Gravity/dp/B004SQS68U/ref=asc_df_B004SQS68U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198077767340&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2102299573337606595&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9024742&hvtargid=pla-373698498407&psc=1

Of course you need a compressor also, but you probably need that for stapling anyway! Just make sure you buy a big enough capacity 3.5-5 CFM.

When spraying, technique is very important, also the viscosity of the material you are spraying. Practice makes perfect. While over priced products like "glamour", etc are good,  I buy mine from a local theatrical supply company for half the price. Been using it for 10 years with good results. Dilute 1 to 1  with water just before putting it in your spray gun. https://www.pnta.com/scenic/coatings/rosco-5580-clear-gloss-acrylic/
[/quote]
Pages: [1]   Go Up