Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony MF sensor info: 100mp GFX capable of 6fps, 150mp IQ4 4fps.  (Read 1458 times)

narikin

Sony MF sensor info: 100mp GFX capable of 6fps, 150mp IQ4 4fps.
« on: November 26, 2018, 09:59:36 am »

Sony has released more details on its sensors here
Interestingly it shows that the 100mp BSI sensor is capable of 6fps, whereas the 150mp can do 4fps.

Nothing magical here I'd hazard - simply the size difference taking longer to extract data in the 150 vs 100..
Otherwise the sensors seem to have identical tech/ architecture / pixel size.

In theory therefore the GFX 100, when it arrives next summer, will be capable of 6fps, the Phase IQ4 capable of 4. Both only achievable, if at all, in ES mode and 14bit, I'd imagine.

Dan Wells

Re: Sony MF sensor info: 100mp GFX capable of 6fps, 150mp IQ4 4fps.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 09:46:28 pm »

It also looks like the 100 MP sensor is 16-bit capable (if Fuji wants to build the rest of the pipeline to handle it)...

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 06:43:56 pm »

I believe per P1 announcement info and video they are claiming 2fps on the 150 currently.  Might have missed something, but they made a big point about 2 fps in the anno.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 09:05:51 pm »

I believe per P1 announcement info and video they are claiming 2fps on the 150 currently.  Might have missed something, but they made a big point about 2 fps in the anno.

Paul C

Yes. In this instance, the limitation would be the XF Camera. There is the feeling the ES would potentially enable closer to the maximum.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 09:52:01 pm »

Hi Steve,

With the ES on the 3100, hand holding it to me is not possible.  Tripod only, so if P1 can push 4 fps from the ES would be for a pretty limited shooting environment unless I am missing something.  Tech camera would be tripod also at least for me.

The XF does allow use of hand held shooting, albeit for me rather limited.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 10:56:43 pm »

Hi Steve,

With the ES on the 3100, hand holding it to me is not possible.  Tripod only, so if P1 can push 4 fps from the ES would be for a pretty limited shooting environment unless I am missing something.  Tech camera would be tripod also at least for me.

The XF does allow use of hand held shooting, albeit for me rather limited.

Paul C

Hi Paul, for your shooting, I can definitely see the limitation (and especially for hand holding). For tripod use, perhaps a slim use case, but nature photography could be one such application. Shooting motorcross could be another. Yes, I know that this would not be the classic use case for someone with a 150mp camera ... but you'll always find someone shooting something in a way and with gear not commonly seen.

I'm not making a case for 4fps with ES being a great feature for everyone, I'm just saying that the camera is the main holdup for frame rate (XF can't go faster than 2 fps), and ES takes that out of the equation (though it does then restrict the use cases).

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

matted

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 12:57:04 pm »

>2 FPS with ES could be useful when combined with the frame averaging feature (which may even already act faster than 2fps for all I know), or perhaps with automated focus stacking if the Conditions allow (I.e continuous light).

narikin

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 05:50:36 pm »

This increased speed clearly means that the 'sensor sweep' of the ES is far faster than it was in the older IQ3-100 backs, which therefore means that rolling shutter effect will be reduced. It must be at least twice as fast.

I doubt you can suddenly be photographing moving cars with ES, but a distant pedestrian in an architectural image might not be Jello anymore, which is a good thing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up