Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon printer connection problem  (Read 1815 times)

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
Canon printer connection problem
« on: December 02, 2018, 07:33:28 am »

Hello,

I have done a fair bit searching to no avail and have a ticket in to Canon but maybe some one has run into this as well.

I just loaded drivers and utility onto my Windows 10pro PC. When in Canon Pro-4000 Properties clicking Update Media Information it then execute it will at times list New Media Information so I click ok. Then it starts acquiring information form printer but quickly states The media information of the printer could not be verified. I confirmed printer is on and not running another operation.

I ran IJ Network and it locates the printer but shows 0% connection with printer. I tried again have firewall off with same results.

My laptop running Windows 8.1 connects just fine on the same network. Printer is connected via wifi, Laptop via wifi and PC is wired to wireless router. With PC I am able to view ink levels so I am at a loss.

I thank you for your time and any thoughts,

Josh
Live the Dream!

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Re: Canon printer connection problem
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 08:33:58 am »

Hello,

I have done a fair bit searching to no avail and have a ticket in to Canon but maybe some one has run into this as well.

I just loaded drivers and utility onto my Windows 10pro PC. When in Canon Pro-4000 Properties clicking Update Media Information it then execute it will at times list New Media Information so I click ok. Then it starts acquiring information form printer but quickly states The media information of the printer could not be verified. I confirmed printer is on and not running another operation.

I ran IJ Network and it locates the printer but shows 0% connection with printer. I tried again have firewall off with same results.

My laptop running Windows 8.1 connects just fine on the same network. Printer is connected via wifi, Laptop via wifi and PC is wired to wireless router. With PC I am able to view ink levels so I am at a loss.

I thank you for your time and any thoughts,

Josh

Try to unregister and reregister the printer through Canon Quick Utility Toolbox --> Basic Tool (tab) --> Printer List Management...(button)

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 11:22:32 am »

Thank you Panagiotis for taking the time to give thought and a possible solution. Unfortunately no dice, I went into Quick Utility Toolbox removed the printer and then found it again. Then going to Control Panel>Hardware and sound>Device and Printers when I go into either the Pro-4000 or Pro-4000 XPS > Printer Properties>Device settings to update media information same error.

Live the Dream!

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 12:35:36 pm »

Wondering if my router is the issue. Running IJ network and view connection communication between printer and router is 100% then connection between computer and router is 0%.

Odd since internet and other networking items work on the PC such as HDhomerun tv through network. But maybe something to do with PC being LAN and Printer wifi and a setting in the router? Is beyond my limited knowledge of networking.
Live the Dream!

stockjock

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 01:48:11 pm »

Whenever I have a connection problem with my iPF8400 it turns out that I need to reboot my router etc..  I would try that if you haven't already.

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 01:53:44 pm »

Thank you Stockjock,

I did try rebooting the router, even noticed there was a firmware update so did that as well still no dice.
Live the Dream!

John Caldwell

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 03:04:50 pm »

As I work on a Mac, my experience with the Apple system being unable to see the Pro 4000 may not be relevant here. But - I finding that booting the printer with the computer already on, Turing the printer off, and then a 2nd printer boot nearly always solves the problem (on those occasions that the printer is not seen by Mac OS.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 04:56:59 pm »

... Printer is connected via wifi,
Short USB if possible, Ethernet if not, wifi if desperate but expect problems.
My experience is small prints and documents are OK on wifi but large prints will invariably have problems.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

virojarvi

• www.virojarvi.com
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 09:25:50 am »

I have Windows 10 pc in LAN and PRO-4000 connected with wifi without any problems. They are in subnet though, so no layer 3 router in between. Sounds like a networking issue to me. Can you ping the printer and access the printer with web browser? Are there any the network differencies with the Windows 10 and Windows 8 PC's?

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 08:01:37 am »

Short USB if possible, Ethernet if not, wifi if desperate but expect problems.
My experience is small prints and documents are OK on wifi but large prints will invariably have problems.

My experience has been very good with my windows 8.1 laptop since I purchased the printer 10/2017. No issues with multiple image jobs 44"x60". This is my first issue. I was on the phone with Canon yesterday and we exhausted efforts as configured. I will either try a fresh installation of Windows 10pro and rebuild all drivers, try attaching printer via ethernet cable or move PC to try USB connection.
Live the Dream!

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 08:20:29 am »

I have Windows 10 pc in LAN and PRO-4000 connected with wifi without any problems. They are in subnet though, so no layer 3 router in between. Sounds like a networking issue to me. Can you ping the printer and access the printer with web browser? Are there any the network differencies with the Windows 10 and Windows 8 PC's?

I am not aware of network differences between the Windows 10 and 8.1 pc's. The Windows 10 pc can access the web browser showing printer status online and showing correct ink levels etc. Did a ping test and the windows 10 pc sent 4 received 3, 25% loss second test sent 4 received 4, 0% loss.  Windows 8.1 laptop over wifi ping test 4 sent, 4 received both tests.
 Talking to Canon yesterday we exhausted efforts with my current set up, next steps are to try attaching printer via Eithernet or USB, connect PC wifi, and last in my opinion is wipe OS and do a clean installation.
Live the Dream!

howardm

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 09:15:47 am »

Take the system(s) OFF WiFi (for now at least).  It adds a level of networking complexity that is just not 'needed' right now while you debug.

I'd be very curious to know if hardwiring both the W10 machine and the printer solves the problem and what the IP Address/Subnet Mask/Gateway settings are for the printer, laptop and PC.

There *is* an issue w/ W10 machines where they are required to use a cryptographically secure later version of 'SMB/CIFS' and as an IT professional, we've seen issues w/ legacy networking and W10.  But, it depends on how the application(s) in question are communicating w/ the printer.

I personally think reloading the entire OS etc etc is a complete waste of time (at least at this moment).

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 10:44:54 am »

Take the system(s) OFF WiFi (for now at least).  It adds a level of networking complexity that is just not 'needed' right now while you debug.

I'd be very curious to know if hardwiring both the W10 machine and the printer solves the problem and what the IP Address/Subnet Mask/Gateway settings are for the printer, laptop and PC.

There *is* an issue w/ W10 machines where they are required to use a cryptographically secure later version of 'SMB/CIFS' and as an IT professional, we've seen issues w/ legacy networking and W10.  But, it depends on how the application(s) in question are communicating w/ the printer.

I personally think reloading the entire OS etc etc is a complete waste of time (at least at this moment).

Thank you Howardm,

I just finished connecting the printer by ethernet to the router. Switched connection settings in printer from wifi to ethernet and adjusted laptop to see printer with new IP address. Laptop with Windows 8.1 is now printing two images so is working PC over wifi and printer over ethernet. PC with Windows 10 still will not update media information. It now routinely tries but fails almost instantly, so mild improvement.
 When it comes to networking I know just enough to be dangerous :)
Live the Dream!

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 12:10:01 pm »

Live the Dream!

jeyell

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 01:17:12 pm »

An outside consideration.  Ensure your networking protocol is set to ipv4 and not ipv6 on routers and devices (check admin pages/control panels). I tried it for a few weeks, but endured odd problems. The larger address standard (v6) is not as reliable as it ought to be between certain devices/mfgrs.

Jswanson

• Jswanson Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 08:34:50 pm »

Thought I should chime in on current events. I am assuming my issue was corrected by a Windows 10 update. No other changes have been made to the network or PC that I am aware of except what was written in this thread. I tried again today and it pulled the media information from the printer this time. This was the first time trying after the recent Windows update. I am now able to print from my Windows 10 pro pc and Windows 8.1 laptop with correct profiles. 2019 is starting out good :)
Live the Dream!
Pages: [1]   Go Up