Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Signatures - Limited Edition Run  (Read 2789 times)

Jonathan Cross

Re: Signatures - Limited Edition Run
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 03:35:03 am »

From time to time I have considered acquiring a print of an image by a well-known photographer.  I have even got a book on collecting photographs.  The ones that interest me are never free and sometimes are on the market for what to me is the equivalent of the price of a lens or camera.  I do not want to find that there are loads of copies around as that would compromise selling if I ever wanted to do that. If I bought then I assume some of the price would reflect scarcity.

I have never bought as I am concerned about provenance or the danger of there being another print run. We do have prints from etchings because we know the plates were destroyed at the end of the run, but I am never convinced that the negative or digital file has been destroyed.  It is also much easier to make a print from a good quality print.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

Ivophoto

Signatures - Limited Edition Run
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 02:18:07 pm »

Few moths ago I visited an exhibit of Marc Lagrange http://www.marclagrange.com a Belgian art photographer, sadly died to early.

A buyer asked the price of one of the fine prints.

“40.000€” said the curator.
“You see, sir. This is a Palladium print, very rare procédé !”
They negotiated a bit and the buyer pulled his wallet at 37.000€ and walked out in the knowledge he made the bargain of the century. After all, it was n.28/30 and according to the seller, in photography: the higher the number, the better.

(Marc Lagrange was one of the rare living art photographers making a lot of money out of his work)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 02:25:38 pm by Ivophoto »

rabanito

Re: Signatures - Limited Edition Run
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 05:33:27 pm »

They negotiated a bit and the buyer pulled his wallet at 37.000€ and walked out in the knowledge he made the bargain of the century. After all, it was n.28/30 and according to the seller, in photography: the higher the number, the better.

A big wallet, I guess. At least 74 banknotes...
Just joking  :D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up